Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Ring

 Yesterday while talking about the Ugly Naked Guy a few suggested it was Alzheimers. Oh, that would make this all livable. But he is just a very large hillbilly and he may wear shorts but we can't see them over his belly in front or on the sides, so it always looks like he's naked. 

But to the point of Alzheimer's. We have a ring camera. And if you have a ring you know you get notifications or alerts of things happening in your neighborhood. Someone posted Tuesday morning a ring video she captured at 1:33AM on Tuesday morning. 

It was an old woman wearing only a T-shirt. I couldn't tell if she was wearing underpants or not. But no bra. Her hair was disheveled and she was looking around the porch like she was missing something. Not at all like someone going to steal. My first thought was this woman has dementia or Alzheimer's and is lost. She certainly looked confused. This was not a person who was checking out the house to hurt or steal.

When we lived in No.VA we had a woman who took in her mom as she was aging. Her mom was at the beginning of Alzheimer's. But she rapidly declined. She would leave the houses in all states of dress and undress and walk around the neighborhood.  

One morning as Rick was walking Izzy he saw her in her nightgown.
She came walking down the street as if this was normal. Rick said, "Hello how are you today?"  She stopped to talk with him. 
At this point, he asked if he could walk with her. She said that would be lovely.  So he turned her around and they headed back to her house. When I asked how he got her to turn around he told her he likes to go this way is that okay?  She happily agreed.

When they got to her house he rang the bell and her daughter answered. She had just called the sheriff so she was thrilled to find her mother safe and sound. 

The first thing the woman said when they arrived at Lori's house was, "This is my daughter's house do you know her?"  So Rick had this full conversation with her as if this was all new to him too. It was nice. He went inside because she insisted he have some tea.  He didn't and she sat on the sofa and fell asleep.  

Soon after this event she was doing this too frequently so at bedtime Lori would have to lock her mom in her bedroom. But then one night Lori awoke to her mother beating on the door of her bedroom screaming, HELP ME THEY LOCKED ME UP, HELP ME.

When I went to Lori's her mother told me, "They lock me up here, don't stay too long or they will lock you up too."  I told her I wasn't going to stay that long.

Shortly after this event, it went straight downhill and Lori had to find a nice 
Alzheimer facility. It broke Lori's heart but I think she knew it was for the best for them both.  

Sadly just a few years later Alzheimers hit Lori. "They" say you are more likely to get this from a mother than a father so that was the first time I saw this in person.

So the big fat dude who may or may not wear clothes doesn't have Alzheimer's. He is just gross. 😂

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sadly, yes, once the wandering starts, a professional care home is required.

Julie H said...

I just watched Still Alice the other day. So sad. We dealt with a little bit of dementia with mother in law. I pray Scott does not get that (or myself)

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I don't have an UNG next door, but he does like to walk around his backyard with pants and suspenders with no shirt. Ewww
We also had a woman who's mother suffered from Alzheimer's, and we would sometimes see her walking around our neighborhood in her pajamas. It's awful for the families. I was sad to hear that Lori ended up with it too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jules I specifically didn't watch that movie. I love Julianne Moore and I bet she was terrific but I just couldn't with that subject matter. I fear this disease so much.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yes it was sad about Lori. She was about 5 yrs older than me. I wrote about our trip to IKEA and I knew something was wrong with her. The drive home was harrowing and we ended up in Maryland and she got so angry and frustrated. I told her I always wanted to drive a Prius could I drive us home? I thought we were going to die., It was so scary. I called her daughter and she had suspected but this was the last straw. they got her in to see someone and yep, alzheimers. She has passed away now. It happened so damn fast.
Is your UNG enormous or just doesn't wear a shirt? This guy weighs 400lbs if he's an ounce.

Kathy G said...

Alzheimer's is horrible. I'm in awe of Rick's dignified response to the situation with Lori's mom. Everyone suffering with the disease should be so lucky.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

And what I didn't say here was that it was 5:45AM. The first walk with our dog. She put her arm in Rick's and Lori told me it was cute she was holding him like it was her date. She always remembered him. Not by name. I don't even know if she remember their walk. But she always waved to him and asked to pet the dog. So she knew she knew him but perhaps that was all.