Thursday, September 26, 2024

Good News

Finally, some good news to share.

As I mentioned I have canceled my shoulder replacement surgery. I am not having the same kind of pain. Roll your eyes back kind of pain. I discussed with the doctor and he and I thought perhaps the injection finally kicked in. Whew. 

Oh sure, there is pain. Lifting anything. I know what I can and can't do so I don't do what I can't do. So I told him I wanted to postpone and if it got to where it was then I'd do the surgery. He was okay with that.  Whew

As I told Rick I have 2 major issues and my back is far more important. I have another arm. I know, I know it's not funny but seriously this back makes everything difficult. Sitting, standing, bending, walking, laying flat, breathing, you know everything. 

Yesterday I brought Rick with me to see the neurosurgeon for my back. 
Rick asks me a lot of questions after I get home and I thought this way he could hear the plans and he could give me input. I also understand it all when the doc is telling me but then when I get home I don't explain it as well. So I just asked if he wanted to come with me like I've done for him the past year. He said, "yeah, I owe ya"  So off we went.

A mistake made by me. He was a pain in the ass when the doctor asked about my pain. When I said one thing, he said, "She's lying"  
Then he went into why he was saying that. Ah geez. The doctor then looks at me and I said, "Well yes"  Damn Rick.  I bitch and moan on my blog but honestly, I don't walk around and say this shit to people. Not even my family. No one wants to hear an old lady talk about her aches and pains. But ole Rick filled him in. I wanted him there to help me but instead, he was my tattle tale.

We went over options. Surgery is not an option for me. My back is a mess and it will just get worse as I age. Fun fact.
So he suggested I have one more injection and then do a spine stimulator.

Think of a pacemaker. Same thing only by my spine to put electrical shocks to my nerves to stop the pain. 40 years ago I had what was called a tens unit. It looked like a pager you wore on the waist of your pants. Electrodes went to the unit and they attached to my body. I wore that sucker for 1 year. And then never needed it again until now. 

I mentioned this apparatus to my doctor and he said, "We don't use them much anymore in fact you don't need a prescription you can just get them on Amazon."
I said, "Really? Oh God I am dating myself"
The young whipper snapper laughed and said, "Yes, you are. We believe that this is far better. It doesn't have to go through layers of skin and you get a better connection so to speak."

After all my questions and Rick's, I was excited by this prospect.
1. I may get relief.
2. It may give me a few more upright and pain-free years.

I am having that injection. Then they give you a stimulator on the outside of your body for a trial run. They insert the electrodes but the actual unit is outside your body. If this does work for me then they will insert it.  
I suppose they don't wish to go through the process of inserting it surgically into me and have it not work and then have to be removed.  I so hope this works!

I look at this like Rick's pacemaker. Just under the skin. You can't really see it.
I told him if I get this - neither of us will be able to go through the metal detectors at the airport. 

To me, this is great news. I know, I know to others this isn't good.
But relief of pain. Pain is mentally as well as physically exhausting.
I knew I could not have another surgery, it wouldn't do me any good. So my future felt hopeless and this gives me hope. This option and happy pills and in another month or so I should be flying.

They have to wait a bit after my injection. I just know I want it done before the end of the year so I don't have to pay another deductible. I'm broke as well as falling apart. Not a great combo but it could be worse.

20 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I sure hope the injection and stimulator give you awesome pain relief! How sweet that would be!

Abby said...

This is uplifting news! Who knew there was such a thing - like a pacemaker for the spine??

Anonymous said...

Ah, the old TENS unit! I still have mine, although I haven't used it in years. I used to approach the desk at the airport and report that I was wearing it so they wouldn't think I was wearing a bomb (small plastic case loaded with wires!). This new thing sounds like a fabulous improvement, and I hope it helps. You have inspired me to get back on the doctor circuit which I've been avoiding for too long - maybe they have something new to help my old broken neck which is flared up almost all the time now.
Nina

Kathy G said...

Fingers crossed that both procedures work as they should and provide relief.

Mr. Shife said...

Wonderful news, Peggy. I hope the injection and electrodes bring you all the relief you need. Good luck to you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yes indeed Debra!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wild huh? Ah, science!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Have you had corisone injections in your neck? Is you neck in pain due to bone and bone rubbing? or disc budging? Gosh that sound awful Nina. I hope you get some relief.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thank you Kathy!

Lin said...

My husband had a stimulator many years ago, he never got past the trial phase. This sounds ridiculous, when our wireless door bell rang it stimulated something and his left arm went up in the air! We could have removed the doorbell but he had no pain relief. I'm sure they are greatly improved.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Is this a joke or are you serious?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thanks Mr. Shife!!!

Julie H said...

Good to have an advocate with you that makes you tell the truth haha. I'm sure Scott hates when I do that.

Lin said...

True

Mike said...

Claudia's chiropractor used a tens unit with acupuncture needles.

Cruisin Paul said...

I guess Rick helped you. LOL Keep healthly Peg.

Cruisin Paul

Ami said...

Finally some good news for you. I'm so happy to hear it. <3
Here at Casa Mental, I'm seeing more and more signs of approaching decrepitude and not being able to do a damn thing about it. We need to meet halfway for an in-person sympathy party.

Ami said...

I swear I left a comment on this post. Do you have a spam folder? Or am I losing my mind? I suppose both things could be true...

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I have never heard of that type of pain management...but I sure hope it works for you. Hugs....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I do too! :-) I'll keep y'all posted