Monday, July 1, 2024

Driving

Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian Readers.

Okay, that's it. Tired of summer. Let's move on now. 

Rick and I came across some older photos from 2011 when we had breakfast on the beach at Presque Isle. There was a photo of Mike and Rick at the picnic table with mimosas and the water in the background.
I sent it to Mike Sunday morning.
He wrote back, "Who are these two young men?"  
I had to laugh because that is exactly what Rick said. 

This next week is pretty darn busy. I am having lunch with a new friend from New England. I have doctor appointments with Rick and I have tests to be done. So it will be a lot of having Rick drive me. Nothing, nothing worse!! 
I'm going to try to convince him I am able and fine. It's a short distance.

Since the stroke, Rick has been an incredibly bad driver. He had to drive me to Durham for my eye "Betty" update last week because they insisted on dilating my eyes. 

On the way home, I may not see clearly but my God, I still could have done better than Rick. He takes risks. He weaves. He pulls out thinking he has enough time and yet he doesn't. Honks ensue and he says, "Sorry"  
NO, just wait we are not in that much of a hurry!
He waits to use his brakes while the entire highway is a sea of red brake lights. He slams on the brakes when we are up their ass. 
I continued to use the brake on the passenger side but it just doesn't work. 
😋

Now I'm supposed to be a good wife and not say a thing. 
No gasping, no saying anything. 
Not easy. I felt like my head may explode if we did live. 

At one point I decided to close my eyes. 
If we die, so be it, I didn't see it coming.
If in an accident, I can't be a witness who has to say to the police that it was my husband's fault.
I will save my marriage that way.

I'm struggling to drive right now but I will lie to Rick. 
It can't be worse than how he drives with perfect shoulders. 
At least I'd have an excuse. But in all honesty, I can not do worse!
In fact, I am certain of this.

There is a fine line between not making him feel bad about some of his diminished capabilities from the stroke and also wanting to live if we are in a car.

Bon Jovi came on Sirius while he was driving home.
'Living on a Prayer' 
I laughed and Rick said, "What's so funny?"
I said, "Ah, the song seems appropriate right now ' cause I am living on a prayer"

Took him a minute. He replied, "Am I scaring you again?"
Yep.

We just let that hang there. No need to elaborate.

13 comments:

Cruisin Paul said...

Thank Peg for our Canada Day. Just tell Rick he'd better slow down and drive better before he kills the both of you. I learned after my stroke that I had to learn again what were the lessons of the road. I'm careful about who drives on the road. Other drivers are the crazy ones today. Keep safe my friends


Cruisin Paul

Julie H said...

When Scott was road raging on our trip home last year I had to just put my seat all the way back, close my eyes and take deep breaths.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Could taxis or ubers be an alternative? When my Dad's driving deteriorated, that's what my parents did. Discontinuing the cost of owning, maintaining, insuring and fueling a car can pay for an awful lot of taxis over the course of the same year.

DB Stewart said...

We have a no gasping rule too. Please do be careful.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Is there a couple out there that isn't guilty of backseat driving when their spouse is at the wheel? I doubt it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, yes just close your eyes! My best solution.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, apparently not 😃 and it doesn't matter who is driving, it goes both ways.

Kathy G said...

I have been known to pull out my phone and play a game or two of mah jong so I'm not tempted to be a passenger seat driver.

Cop Car said...

I hope that Rick's driving improves as he re-accumulates experience. You really don't need that stress. It's a tough issue with which to deal.

The worst part about stopping my husband's driving has been telling him over and over that he no longer drives (although it comes up less and less frequently). Each time, his Alzheimer's makes the "news" and the disappointment a new blow to him. I have every faith that we all subscribe to the theory that a "good wife's duty" is to hold her loved ones, herself, and the public safe.

Abby said...

I am not a fan of being a passenger when my husband drives, so I get it! I keep quite, but my mind is LOUD.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Kathy G, good call!!

Cop, oh he was horrible before the stroke trust me on this.
And I do my good wife's duties.:-)

Abby, it's forever been this way for me and my head is loud and sometimes I think it may explode. :-) But then as he likes to point out I suck at parallel parking and he is very good at it.

Mike said...

Luckily Claudia didn't complain at all when we said she shouldn't drive anymore. She likes being chauffeured around.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, I need to be in that same headspace with Claudia. Then again, you're probably a better driver than Rick. :-)