Rick is a lot like himself most of the time, but a connection is missing in some areas.
He can be my Ricky and then turn into a very bratty 12-year-old. It is very difficult for me to handle.
I wish I could afford counseling. I don't know how to deal with this and no one has been helpful in any way.
I don't want to be impatient, I try to talk to him but I've found when he is that 12 yr old there is no talking to him, so I've been trying to ignore it the best I can. But there were times when he insists he can do things, and we all know he can't like using a knife to cut food. He has vision issues on his left side. He almost cut off his fingers! If I suggest that it may be a bad idea to do this he snaps at me. I understand because his mind thinks he's fine. So yelling at him is not the answer, but what is?
I am overwhelmed and stressed and exhausted. I went to a caregiver support group but it was depressing. All these women wanted to divorce their husbands or vice versa, it was just a bitch session and I wanted no part of that. I want help to learn to deal with this if it doesn't change.
"They," tell me it will change, but if it doesn't, in the meantime, how do I cope with this? I want help in learning how to not make him angrier and how to deal with all this shit on my plate.
Yep, there are therapists but I can't afford $200 for 50 minutes. Most take Medicaid, and few take Medicare. Strokes aren't cheap and $200 for 50 minutes would just cause me more stress you know? I fall into the cracks because not quite poor enough for Medicaid but having Medicare and Bankers' life is not enough for therapy. And if you do find one who takes your insurance, they never call you back or only do online therapy. WTH is that? I would never feel comfortable enough to share via Zoom. No thanks.
I want to scream, SHIT, DAMN, FUCK.
But I can't do that. But inside Peg is screaming all of that all the time.
Then I went to a fb page for stroke survivors and saw a comment my husband made. (errors here I know but I copied it, he's had a stroke. lol)
Oh my goodness it brought tears to my eyes.
"It's a constant struggle to not snap at the woman that hopefully still loves and lines me and takes such good care of me. I have to take a moment and try and understand what she is dealing with, dealing with " stroke boy"
So he knows he turns into the brat but is struggling too. It's a no-win for us both. We just keep having to talk it out. I don't know what else to do.
He is now aware of the fact that he doesn't know what he doesn't know.
The realization of that hit him big time.
He was so angry one afternoon about everything. There was no saying something simple like can you hand me that book?
Oh no, he would assume I was accusing him of moving the book. He was taking everything said personally. (This really happened.)
Oh, that was a delightful day. He was so angry he went to bed at just before 8p. He just walked into the bedroom and crawled into bed. I let him.
I wasn't going to discuss this, just let him be. In the morning he apologized up one side and down the other. He feels badly snapping at me in a way he has never done to anyone in his life, let alone me. He hates being this angry. God, Zoloft kick in will ya!!
So I asked him to sit and talk with me on the porch one day.
I asked him if he remembered when he found out he wasn't "seeing" everything on his left.
Sure if he turns his head he will see it but for some reason, the stroke makes him unaware of the left side or looking to the left. I am not sure how to explain it. It makes total sense to me when they explained it to me.
Anyhow, he understands that now. One day in OT he was made aware of something. He looked at me shocked. The OT explained to him why this was the way it was on his left and how they will correct this in time.
I said, "Okay let's think of it Rick as you don't know that you didn't know that about your left side vision. Is that correct to you?"
He looked at me with a Eureka look on his face.
He got it. Finally. It connected.
So now when he wants to use the knife I say, "Remember the left side issue?"
"Oh yeah, I want to try, but can you watch me?"
YES.
Before you see, he would just get angry at me watching him cut something. And I understood that he felt like I was babying him. Even though I'd tell him otherwise he felt we all were babying him.
I told him about seeing on his left and he'd tell me he could see just fine. His OT and I knew he could not see fine. I am so thankful she got him to see the issues and understand them.
So now he repeats to me, "I don't know what I don't know, so I will not be angry when you tell me okay?" O.K.!!
Baby steps, but oh so helpful and he has less anger for some reason knowing this.
So his new mantra is, "I don't know yet what I don't know"
It has made a HUGE difference in his attitude and I am so thankful.
He works so hard at getting better and I don't want him to get discouraged. I can't fathom how difficult this must be for him. We keep talking about it and to keep talking seems to help him in a few ways as well so that is good.
We have a lot happening this week. Dropping the car off tomorrow at the garage to be repaired? I told you someone hit me in the parking garage of the hospital right? Well if not, I am dropping off the car, getting a rental car and then he has a neurological appointment after that. Then on Tuesday, the bathroom demo begins. Looking forward to the end result but not them being in our home.
Every day is a therapy or two and I am not thrilled leaving these guys in our house but what can I do otherwise? This is all gonna get better right?
Oh and on a fun note, we have discovered Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix.
I know, I know, late to the game. We just finished Season 1 last night.
I was told to have a routine for Rick. Meals same time, bed same time, meds same time, exercises at home the same time. So we have a chart.
He can see what is coming up etc.
Last night we had only 1 episode left of season 1 when I suggested we just go to bed. (although I really wanted to finish that last episode) Then he said, "Ah, c'mon I'm a big Stroke Boy, let me stay up past my bedtime"
He was making me laugh so of course I gave in. We finished that damn last episode and then went to bed. Now on to season 2.
I'm certain you've all seen it already. We are very late to this game. Not like we haven't been busy or anything. HA
___________________________
update - I did not make myself clear I see from the comments.
Rick has the use of all his limbs. His right hand is strong and that is not the issue with the knife. I used the knife as an example but it's all things to his left. He had OT at the rehab hospital kitchen and he made breakfast for the therapist and me. We just had to watch him because of his left-side vision. It is the only reason he can't drive right now. He wants to get back to cooking because my cooking sucks. But I have to oversee for lack of a better word, that he doesn't chop off his fingers on his left hand. Again, this is sight related not hand coordination or hand disability. We have homework we do daily to help with this sight issue. He even was given a couple of games on his phone to play to help with this.
He can walk with no help but he shuffles more than walks, but that improves weekly. He can do things with his left hand it just still has some tingling like it's asleep on the back side and his wrist. His speech is improving weekly. However, he still has some issues in that dept and swallowing. He takes his pills via applesauce because it is less likely for choking. Otherwise, if you just look at him - you would say nothing is wrong until he walks and you see the shuffle and when he speaks, you hear the issue.
He carries his walking stick only when we leave the house because people are quite mean about him walking slower than before. When he has his stick he finds people are kinder. Hope that helps explain the situation. All of which have nothing to do with his quick anger from the man who could let shit roll off his back. :-)
18 comments:
Dealing with the anger of the recovering person is by far the hardest part. You are the only person there, so his anger is directed at you. But it's not you he is mad at. He is just raging at not being himself and able to do what he has always done. He is an accomplished man (I'm thinking especially of his bowls and the deck) and now he can't cut his own food. Infuriating.
I have always had a theory about little kids, too, who get mad at their moms. In my opinion, it is because Mom is the one person who will accept that anger and still love you. I think that is part of how recovering people show their anger at their loved ones, too. it isn't as scary as pissing off your physical therapist, who might toss you out of the practice. (just a theory)
Just like he needs the mantra about his realization, maybe you could try that mantra "I'm not who he is angry with"?
I am so sorry that you got a bad support group. I can see why that particular group would not suit you - both you and Rick are "Let's fix this" people, not just spouting venom. I hope you can find support one way or another, though.
Nina
I'm lucky that Claudia knows she can't do some things and asks for help.
I give you two a pat on the back for making some progress, baby steps forward. Who runs/set up the caregivers group? Could you ask them for leads for free or inexpensive counseling? Even search on line "free caregivers counseling" and your city name. Even go in to the local library or to your minister if you are in a church and ask if they have a list of inexpensive counselors you could call. I am a librarian and often research solutions, Best wishes to you.
To all, I wish to clarify that Rick can chopped veggies etc when cooking. He just has to be aware that he doesn't see always to his left so those fingers could be hurt. He has zero issues with his hand as in use,so it's not just the knife that I used for example. He couldn't drive for same reason. We work on the eye issue daily as well as OT.
And I do walk away and do not engage. At first I did not! But I've learned to just let him go and I ignore the behavior and we talk when he's calm.
Mike, you really are!!
I have never lived with a stroke boy, but I did survive two teenagers who at 15 were totally competent and functioning adults who could absolutely do anything no matter how dangerous so I kind of get a bit of what you are dealing with. You and Rick seem to have a strong relationship and both seem willing to work on the challenges. And YOU, my dear, seem to have a lifetime of people skills and an intuitive sense of psychology. Hang in there and those of us your blogosphere support group will keep cheering you on with all our might.
My dad had that same thing where is couldn't see stuff on one side of a plate (or anywhere else). With lots of therapies he did improve.
A stroke can change a person for good and bad. Anger is the main thing. Unfortunately for the wife the wife ends up getting most of the results of the anger. I always thought I was OK but it took me a long time accepting I had a stroke and once I accepted it, things began to change. Peg, you will probably need somebody to help you understand what Rick is going through. A I said before, after my stroke, I am two different people, the old Paul and the stroke Paul. Once I accepted that, it was easier and later the anger got easier but it never disappeared. It will take time for the both of you to really understand what has taken time place in your lives. Rick is a man who is no longer the same guy that you are living with. He is a, a special man now. Your lives have changed just like Mary Lou & I have changed. Don't forget I had my stroke when I was 27 years of age and I'm 73 so we have had to deal with a great deal but, but you'll both make it with LOVE and I'm sure you both love one another. Don't worry if he gets angry. Let him get upset. Eventually he'll come out of it. You, will need some personal assistance. If not Peg, you are going to go nuts. I think about you both often and pray for you.
Have mercy, O loving God,
upon all who have suffered a stroke.
Remove the sudden fear that befalls them.
Endow them with courage in the struggle
to recover what has been lost.
Grant them strength and hope
to envision new days ahead
and a spirit of faith
to take the risk of living fully
once again.
Amen.
Cruisin Paul
Left neglect or hemispatial neglect can be worked with and it is work. The OT is likely teaching Rick to scan the environment moving your head like a lighthouse from right to left and if you don’t see your left shoulder you have not gone far enough. Just have to be dedicated with the homework therapists give.
Antidepressants are trial and error and do take a while to work but don’t wait too long if you think an increase is in order.
You have to take care of yourself Peg. A lot of people actually like therapy over zoom.
It is so hard being wife and caregiver. And the anger-that must hurt so much. If you have friends and family who are willing to help let them.
I'm glad to see those who've experienced strokes personally are offering suggestions and perspective. I have no experience in that area. As for counseling, I've been trying to get into counseling for several years. Therapy for caregivers is nearly non-existent (at least in my area) and they are unbelievably picky about insurance too. I was hooked up with a phone counselor through my primary care doc and she was a real winner: I could actually hear her doing dishes while I was talking but when she started sharing her problems instead of listening to mine, that was the end! I agree with Jean, meditation really helps but you have to make time for it. I listen to the Honest Guys on YouTube. Their meditations are great!
Terra, I have asked the questions you mentioned in comments. I got nothing. I won't stop though. Last night while having insomnia there was an AARP commercial regarding caregivers and mental health. It gave a link and I went there and there is nothing in NC. figures.
Olga, we do have a strong foundation and I am certain that helps. But it is still trying. I don't know about my intuitive sense of psychology but I sure do have people skills, I wish others did. :-)
Jean, yep that is the big issue. His eyes. He didn't even know this was happening so that is where the I don't know what I don't know comes from.
Paul, I know you've lived this with Mary Lou. Easy to say let him get angry but when he is being really mean and saying bad things to me it's not easy at all. I just walk away now and he just gets louder.
gigimom, All of our friends are in other cities. No one here. As for family, my family is useless for me sadly. All the ones who would help are dead. Oh well it is what it is and I will get through this. Thank God for my blog.
Bobi, I've paid for apps and I've tried all kinds of meditation. It does not seem to work for me for some reason. I may have to take a loan out for help the way it's going. I called someone who said online they take medicare - but not she charges $250 for 50 minutes. Can't do it.
There is an Elderly Support Group I joined when I was helping to take care of my mother in law. It's a good place for venting and getting advice but there is a lot of other people dealing with horrible situations.
Julie,the one I went to was so awful. Many said they'd rather put their spouse in a home if they coukd get away with it so they could have their life back. That to me is horrific. And they all spewed such hatred. I can't fathom the hatred. Only the frustration and exhaustion. So I'm not doing that type of thing ever again.
Sounds like "the group" is not for you, but maybe there are others out there that are more supportive? Like you, I wouldn't find the ranting helpful at all.
Strokes are such a mystery. I remember my husband's grandfather could only read the right hand page of a book after his stroke, not realizing there was another page on the left.
Ah, Abby you get me! Yes, that is what is so weird about the stroke/sight thing. He can move his head and see what is there but peripherally he doesn't see the left side. Hence why I fear him with slicing and dicing as he wants to do. This morning he wanted to make egg drop soup. No knives involved. I left him alone. While we dont' have a completely open floor plan I can still see most things in the kitchen so I kept an eye out for him but he figures I am leaving him alone to do "big boy stuff" as he puts it. He said this morning - I'd like to make egg drop soup, I'm craving it. Please don't say you'll make it, I really think I can do this. Then he smirked and said, "I'm a big boy now"
I laughed knowing full well when I tried to make it,it tasted awful. So I let him go to town.
Oh yes, his soup is delicious!!
Peg, you are doing the best you can. Care giving is something people that haven't experienced know very little about. I have never done much, just some with my Mom. It sounds to me like the two of you are getting there, and will still deal with frustration and anger issues. You love each other, and that makes all the difference. Hugs
Yvonne, yes love helps that is for certain. But this is the hardest thing I've ever done and God knows it is for him too!
Post a Comment