Sunday, July 16, 2023

Walking

 Rick has been a bit lazy since he has not had any therapies. So I decided to make him walk the length of our driveway.
He did that for two days and then around the property and boy, it's then nap time. It makes me chuckle. But I know he needs to do that too. I hear them in my head telling me about Stroke Fatigue.

Sunday, he said he was ready to venture outside the house. He wanted to go to the grocery store with me. 
Okay, I said, "but are you sure you can walk this?"
He was insistent that he could. He and his walking stick.

I dropped him off at the storefront so he didn't have to walk from the end of the parking lot too. By the time I parked and entered the store, he was already done with the aisles of produce. He had his walking stick on the cart and he was just leaning on the cart. I didn't want to make a big deal but it was a big deal. He felt comfortable enough to not use the walking stick. He has been doing that a great deal in the last couple of days. Hmm...

We meandered through the store and there were a few times when he felt he was too slow for the people behind him. I noticed he would move all the way to the right side of the aisle and let others pass. 
He said he wished he had a shirt or something to say, "I move slowly, just had a stroke, feel free to pass me"
That made me laugh but I could see how that would make him feel better.

When we got to the ice cream department he had to stop. 
He asked me to stay by the cart. I said, "Okay, but don't you need your stick?"  
No, watch me he says, with his shit-eating grin. And I did watch him. 
He walked to the freezer section, opened it up, and grabbed what he was looking for, Tillamook Vanilla Bean, and he walked back to the cart with no problem. I was again impressed. No limp, no walking stick, just a walk.

He got the cart into the checkout line and we were done. 
When we got to the door I suggested he stay there and he said, "Oh good" as he leaned against the wall of the storefront outside. 
I went and loaded up the car and fetched My Big Guy. 

I saw a young man who was tall with long gorgeous braids, not dreads, who was talking to Rick. I saw him as I pulled out of the parking space. 
Was he selling something?  Gee, he is a cute young thing. 
Rick later told me that is what he thought too when he approached him that he must be selling something.

Rick said, "The young man walked over to me and told me he was in the medical field and asked me if I needed some help because I appeared a bit wobbly?" 

Rick said, "I just had a stroke in May so yes I am wobbly but I'm okay. Thank you so much for asking."  
Rick put out his hand to shake this young man's hand and to thank him for his concern. Rick told him that was the nicest thing a stranger had done for him. 

As I pulled up, the young man said he was just glad he was okay. 
I jumped out to help Rick into the car but this young man was doing it already.  Rick really doesn't need help, but it takes him more time than it does for you and me. I also like to stand by him as I was taught in his rehab should he lose his balance and that is what the young man was doing as well because he was helping Rick before I even got to that side of the car. As he shut the door we both yelled another, "Thank you!" and waved goodbye.

We talked about that on the way home. How damn nice was that? How often do you see a young man helping an old fart? Not as often as I'd like to think happens. But sure glad we got to witness this act of kindness.

All in all, it was a good day. Rick was walking around the grocery store and by the time he got home it was nap time. I was putting the groceries away when he said, "Sorry babe, I gotta sit down"  That was it. Into his ugly chair and he was out like a light.  

Rick was out and about and moving. It was all good. Baby steps. 
He was animated and funny. The check-out kid asked him something and Rick answered him. The kid looked confused. 
Rick said, "I just had a stroke, it's hard to understand me"  
The kid said, "No, I think I understood you but it didn't match what I asked."
Rick chuckles and says, "Ask me again"
The cashier said, "Did you want these onions in a separate bag?" as he is holding up the onions already in a net bag. 

Rick's original answer was no I don't need cash back. (not even close!)
So upon hearing it correctly Rick and I both begin to laugh and Rick says, "Okay my stroke did not affect my hearing that was bad before the stroke. And No, I don't want cash back and yes, I want my onions in a grocery bag please." 
Thankfully the young man laughed a lot and said okay. 
Then we heard about his grandfather's hearing mishaps that make the family laugh. 
Whew, he wasn't making fun of Rick, which is Rick's fear, but just being kind and sociable.

Rick is getting more comfortable to be in public speaking. To me he is only hard to understand when he's tired. But I'm sure to others they may not find it as easy as me since I'm used to his speech since the stroke.
Eating is another story. He is not ready to eat out in public yet. He still has some numbness on the left side of his mouth and cheek. Small area but enough that if he has food on the left side of his lip he doesn't feel it. He can have food hanging out of his mouth and not know it. We have come to an agreement on how he wishes to handle this. 

I hate being a mom and saying, "Wipe your mouth"
Truth be told he doesn't like hearing it either but knows it is necessary.
He has gotten far better in the last two weeks it's amazing, but he still has an issue from time to time. 
So now I just say, "Rick" and he looks at me as I touch my mouth. Or I say nothing and if he looks at me I touch my mouth. He then knows.  Yesterday eating a salad was a wild ride for him. Thank Goodness his humor is intact because that was crazy. Lettuce hanging from his mouth. He said, "If I dare go out in public to eat, no salad!"  Yes, I see that.

But that is a task for another day. 
He is walking far more now and so much better! 
This next week is a lot of therapies so I see a lot of naps in his future. 
But it's all good today. 

I am stopping on this high note.😁

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to read this! Olivia

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oliva, glad to write it! 😁

Mike said...

Tell Rick he's missing his chance to use the motorized shopping carts.

Louise said...

Thank goodness! One day at a time..that day was amazing!!

bluzdude said...

Such great news. And you both get a feeling of accomplishment.

Finally, a light at the end of the tunnel that isn't an oncoming train!

Cruisin Paul said...

It's nice to see that Rick is doing well and is able to laugh with some of the things he does. I'm happy for you both. Life does go on Peg after a stroke. My balance is going down now and I have to use mu walker more. That's life but I'm alive after my stroke. ( 46 years after my stroke ) You two are doing very well

Cruisin aul

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

In the 12 1/2 years of pushing Don around in a wheelchair we came across a LOT of really nice people who tried to help in large and small ways or just went out of their way to be friendly. Lots of people who'd been in our shoes with a parent or loved one or were in the medical field, I think. Oh, and that feeling of being a mother? It's not going to go away any time soon. Develop a hand signal for when Rick needs to wipe his mouth or use his cane and anything else that you don't want to say to him in public. You guys are doing great. Humor helps you through a ton of situations and as long as Rick still has that everything else is manageable, and on a faster learning curve than with those who don't have it.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Glad to hear that Rick is improving ~ what about you? How's it going?
Humor always makes a situation better. Even if the other person doesn't appreciate it, they will later. Not long ago I had made salad and was preparing to pour out the dressing....I forgot I had already loosened the cap and when I shook it, it flew everywhere, including my face. It was so funny. Only thing I regret was Romeo didn't take a picture. :-}

Julie H said...

Woohoooo

My friend bought a set of hearing aids on Amazon. After she raved about them my other friend got some for her husband. I think they were under $300.

Bobi said...

Happy news! Yay! Hope your whole week is happy. 😎

Janice said...

What a great experience for both of you. It sounds like you are doing well.

Ami said...

It makes me happy to read how well he's doing! And you, too. Running into kind strangers is just a bonus, isn't it? I try to BE that kind stranger when I can, although I'm a little decrepit these days myself. .:)

In the little town where my mom lives, people go out of their way to help her. When she pulls up in front of the post office, they see her and bring her mail out to her car. The grocery store checkout clerks CLOSE THEIR REGISTERS to make sure she and her groceries get out to the car. That's if there's no bag boy/girl. Her housekeeping lady brings in all her groceries and puts them away, no extra charge.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, I have suggested this and he was adamant about not wanting to take that ride. Pride I think. :-)

Louise 😁

bluzdude, no train!!

Paul, thanks for the encouragement

Jean, we have developed a hand signal regarding the food on his mouth/chin. It's overwhelming as you know.

Yvonne, me? I'm okay. I cry a lot and I'm always exhausted. It's like a toddler who is 6'2" and strong. It's a lot but we are going to make this work. I love that picture of salad dressing all over you and all over everything. Been there done that!!

Julie - woohoo is right. hearing aids are our next step.

Janice - thank you!!

Ami, How wonderful that they look out for your mom like that. :-)

Olga said...

Amazing progress!

Terra said...

Wow, you two are going through so much together. He is blessed to have you at his side. I know some people who live alone and are recovering, I think that would be harder and more scary. So I am cheering you both on. That young man was so nice and caring to offer help.