Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Haircut - FINALLY

Rick and I went to the hairdresser today.
I took my neighbor's advice and went to her shop. I knew I didn't wish for her to cut my hair because honestly she's got a dated look. If your hairdresser doesn't have great hair in color and cut then can she do great things with hair? 
Just my opinion, which means nothing to anyone.
When I told her I liked my hair texturized with a razor she told me to ask for Tonya. Whew off the hook.

Rick and I got in the car and drove to her salon. The first impression could have been better. It looked like a salon from the 70s/80s. 
As we sat in the lobby, Rick squeezed my hand and said,"do you wish to run or get it cut and then cry?" OMG, that made me laugh. 
God love this man, he knows me so well. I said, "Let's try crying. We're poor now" 

I saw Tonya, a young blonde woman. She had a thick accent and was very personable and nice. I later learned that she is from West Virginia. 
I told her what I wanted and knew that since I've been cutting it myself here and there it was a hot mess and I apologize.  She laughed.  I watched her cut my hair. I knew it was going to be a good cut just a bit too short on the sides. But that is nothing. The cut was great. That's a problem when you know the basics of haircutting and your hair. You know what they are doing. I watch them and know right away if it's a good cut. 

Once while living in Seattle this man was so full of himself and talked about being in Glamour magazine like I gave a hoot. He was also on local TV he told me and asked if that is how I learned of him. Nope, I told him, just called and scheduled an appointment and they gave me you. He told me I was sure lucky because he is normally booked for months and months. 
Oh, this guy was so full of himself it was nauseating.

He grabbed my hair and not how one should, and took out these thinning shears.  I said that you can't use thinning shears on my hair to texturize it, especially at the roots. 
He laughed in his arrogant snotty way and said, "I'm the hairdresser, not you"  At the time this was a $65 haircut and this was back in 1995.  I stood up. I said, "I have fine hair, a lot of hair, but it's fine, if you thin it I'll see my scalp we can't do that. It's been done to me before and it was a nightmare so can we just cut my hair with scissors, please? 
He said, "Then you can leave"  So I thanked him for his time and left. 
I was not going to allow this piece of crap to make me feel bad about not having my hair thinned. In defense of stylists who use thinning shears to texturize, don't. But if they do, then they do that on the ends not at the root and forward. Trust me on this. I've told 2 stylists about this event and each time I show them how he grabbed my hair and where he was going to begin thinning it they both shrieked and covered their mouths. 

I had someone do to me what he wanted to do to my hair once. I looked like a dying animal with hair only here and there. I wore hats for months and I cried. I had to go to work which meant airports, hotels, clients, etc all had to see this sad-looking head of hair as if I was dying of cancer. It was horrific. And me, the dumb ass paid her. I still can't believe I did that as I cried all the way home. 

So today as I sat in Tonya's hair discussing my wants and wishes I did warn her that I was a pain in the ass about my hair. She laughed and said I don't see you being that way. I wanted to say, "Make me look like a cancer patient and you'll see" but of course, I didn't. 
I just wanted her to know that I am more high maintenance than most and heaven knows I tip for it. But again I did not say this. 

When she was done she asked if I liked it. I did. I did think the sides were too short but I understood after what I did why she had to do that. So I was okay with everything including her and the price. This is the cheapest haircut I have ever had in my life. Or since the 80s. It was only $45 + 10 tip. Can't beat that. Rick used to pay that for his barber cuts so I was thrilled.
Know why? 
'Cause having a stroke even with good insurance is not cheap!!

In other News - 
Y'all remember me telling you we leave a cooler of water and Gatorade and some treats for the delivery people. Well, it's so dang hot here as it is everywhere, that we froze the bottles of water and put them in the cooler frozen. Today UPS left us a note thanking us for the water and "god bless"
That was nice. No one has thanked us before. 

We knew a UPS driver up north and he would say in summer he'd bring a cooler but he'd always run out so that is what gave us that idea. They are here quite a bit lately since I can't get out as often. I put kind bars and some rice krispie treats in their own individual packets I found at Walmart. Rick was enjoying them a great deal and I told him to save some for the drivers. He said, "Maybe" 

Because Rick had been in the hospital I am getting all his alerts when he has something new in his "my chart"  So I went into it after I got an alert.
I saw that Rick wrote an email to our family doctor last night. 
He told her that he was thinking about what she said about a low dose of an antidepressant. He said the last few days I have been mean to Peg and I don't like it and I don't want to continue this. I know I am feeling depressed so maybe I should listen to you and give this a shot for a little while.

Yes, he was mean and hurtful and he made me cry. I know he can't help it so I can't get mad but it's not my Ricky. So it is shocking, hurtful and as he said mean. I am happy to know he is seeing his behavior. He knows that isn't his normal self. I too know it's not normal for him but that doesn't mean it didn't sting.

She has not written back, the nurse did, saying she would be sure the doctor sees this. 

My poor Rick. I can't fathom what he is going through. But on a good note, he walked the garbage can to the curb from the garage. 
Our driveway isn't short either.
He used his walking stick back which he tends to do when he gets tired.
He walked into the salon and then we went to the farmers market for his peaches. He walked a great deal today. He didn't like the farmer's market because it was so crowded and he can't walk fast enough he feels. 
I told him to chill out and just walk as you can. They can go around you if they wish to. But again, I get where he is coming from and why he feels that way. But screw 'em, their legs are working fine and if they are annoyed, walk around him. Rick is very nice to walk on the far right so he's not in the middle of the lane and making people angry. 

Here's a pic of our driveway before we changed the outside of the house. So you can see that is a long walk without anything to assist except that garbage can. 😀 He suggested I put a chair under this tree so he can rest. 
I bet the physical therapist would agree that is not what I need to do for you

10 comments:

Julie H said...

Wow I'm impressed he wrote the Dr! Sorry he made you cry :(

I have pretty thick hair and I'm cheap so I usually just go to Great Clips. I've fixed it myself at home several times and have went back once lol. It grows fast at least. I can usually tell if it's going to be a good hair cut or not by how they start out. Did they divide my hair and put it in clips? If not it's a bad one.

Mike said...

Remember, antidepressants sometimes take 2 weeks to start working.

After you got your haircut, did Rick recognize you? Or had you disappeared to him?

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

It's not unusual for stroke survivors and other who've suddenly acquired a disability to need a low dose antidepressant for a few months. It takes time to accept the changes that may (or may not) be permanent.

Glad you found a good hair dresser. Does she cut men's hair as well? It simplified my life after Don's stroke for us to be able to book back to back appointments with the same person, since he couldn't drive himself.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, I,too was shocked he wrote to her and what he wrote!

Mike. Lol he recognized me

Jean, you always give me good advice. Thank you. I cut his hair but I'd rather not so next appt it will be both of us because she does men as well.

Abby said...

Happy haircut! "do you wish to run or get it cut and then cry?" - HA!
Fear of the hair chair is real. I've had bad cuts before - two most memorable - a good stylist is a treasure. My current find only charges me $30, which seems crazy for her skill level. Maybe I look poor?

Tell Rick "good job", that's a long driveway. Great that he's walking around as much as he is. Sweet of him to email the doctor. Hopefully a low dose will be enough to take the edge off.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, yea that comment made me laugh too. I will share with Rick what you said, he loves hearing the comments, yet he doesn't read me. LOL. Yes, it is a long driveway. And it was great that he wrote to the doctor on his own. If I wasn't getting updates for him I'd have never known. When I read it, it broke my heart that he said what he said. I don't ever want a stroke ever!!!

Mr. Shife said...

Glad to hear you got a good haircut, Peg. You definitely deserve it. Also, glad to hear Rick made it down that driveway. Good for him and I hope he continues to make excellent progress. Take care.

Cruisin Paul said...

Unfortunately people will have no understanding of a stroke person unless they have a stroke. Don't worry about them. You walk the speed that you want to do. Once you have a stroke, you are that special person now. You'll learn that your world is your own. I never wanted a walker but now it's my life and I can't go without it. Rick, you'll learn that you life is your own. Take your time, slow and easy, that's what I say.Put a bench under that tree. I love the idea. Life is now your own. Do what you want to do. Don't worry about anybody else. Remember, it's about you Rick.


Cruisin Paul

Barbara said...

So glad Rick agreed to start the medicine. I wish my friend had the same sense.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Ha, we all have had the terrible haircut. I'm glad you found someone that can fix your "diy" snip here and there :-)
Awwww, I can understand why you cried. He obviously loves you and is devoted. I hope it helps!