Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Side Effects

Yesterday I was a bad wife. I really thought in the morning when he was in his chair that was it for him for the day. I thought he was being lazy. We have so much to do with this move etc and I was thinking he was given this opportunity of a surprise day off use it to get some of the things done we need to be done. 
Bad, bad Margaret. 

I went downstairs late morning and took one look at him and realized he was sick.
He did not look like that in the morning over coffee. 
He kept telling me how tired he was at breakfast but he wasn't pale or sick looking while we were having coffee. We're both always tired so I didn't think much of it. But at 11am he was looking scary sick. 

Once downstairs I asked if he felt well. He said, " I feel like I did after my first vaccination shot. I feel beyond fatigued like I have the flu."  
By this time, he was so pale and he looked just awful.
His coughing began and it was not his allergy cough. I knew the difference. 
It scared me a bit. His skin on his arms hurt and that was a weird symptom.
I felt his head he had a slight fever. I went to get the thermometer and he did indeed have a slight fever of 100. He then closed his eyes and slept off and on most of the day. As he said he felt like he had no control, he just had to close his eyes.  
He kept saying he was sorry but he can't keep his eyes open. 
I wondered if he got Covid? 

By 4p when he woke up again, he was feeling a lot better. He said he felt like he awoke from a winter-long nap or hibernation like a bear. He felt pretty darn good he kept saying. He took the dog for a walk and when he came back he came to the office and he looked like himself. The color had returned to his face. 
He was fine the rest of the evening. Tired, but nothing like earlier in the day.
He no longer had a fever either and the coughing stopped. 
Okay, now this was odd to us.

This morning he says he still feels slightly off but nothing like yesterday. 
His skin on his arms hurt yesterday. What the hell was that? 
He kept saying, "it's not muscular it's my skin and it's tingling like I got a sunburn on my forearms."  Weird right?  I asked if the day before he got some chemicals on his skin. He insisted he had not and he wears protection on his arms. He was adamant about that so I let it go. 
But my goodness his skin hurt? 

He was doing some research, you know on google, where we all get our "facts".
He saw an article that stated after your second shot you can get side effects many days after the shot. It had been 4,5 days for Rick when this started. Was this a side effect? The coughing he had most of the morning just stopped yesterday late afternoon too.  The only lingering issue this morning was fatigue but it too was so much better than what happened to him yesterday. He said he could function just fine today. We sure did get lucky that the appointment had to be moved so he had the day off yesterday.  I can't imagine him trying to work like he was feeling.
One of those divine interventions.

I was not aware that anyone could get side effects so many days after the shot. 
I thought I'd share so if it happens to you or someone you love you won't be as scared as we were. If it were Covid, he'd still be feverish and sick. But since he is just a bit tired today and has no fever I think he is just fine. 
If his symptoms were the same last night and this morning I'd be making him go to the doctors and not give me grief about it. 

I hope none of you have bad side effects. I have heard from folks who got the Moderna shot who got violently sick. vomiting etc. I wonder if it is not so much the vaccine but just how your body responds to it. I have 2 autoimmune diseases. I don't think my immune system is at its best so I just want it to fight it off. 
I at least know that Rick having these symptoms that his body is fighting and doing what it needs to do. If I don't get any symptoms I worry my immune system is asleep at the wheel. But who the hell knows. I feel like it's a crap shoot.

Thanks to Mike who answered my questions yesterday. I felt I knew the answers and you agreed with me so that made my decision easier.

My next vaccine is on the 7th.  Same time and place as last one. I am hoping that my symptoms are not as bad as Rick's. Still better than Covid. 
If only the dumb ass anti-vaxxers would understand that. What is in the water in Florida and the Great Lakes Region? They seem to be absolutely nutso and causing a lot of the uptick in the cases. 

Sometimes I feel if we had done what New Zealand did - just close down EVERYONE and EVERYTHING for 2-3 months and then it's so far down they can get back to a semblance of normalcy. They did receive a financial stimulus of around $600 a week. Not great but better than $1,200 for a year. 
All of this here in the U.S. should have been done from a federal level and not allow states to make the decision. It is so obvious that DeSanti in Florida is a moron.  I think he lost oxygen to his brain when his head was up trumps ass. 

But we Americans can't have things taken away from us because we are bratty children. So this will just keep going on and on. We will never be "back to normal" again. There will just be a new normal. We cause our own problems I swear.
And yes, New Zealand's population is far less than NYC but Australia did it too. Why can't we?  Rhetorical of course.

So this bad wife had to apologize to her hubby for thinking he was just being lazy. He just laughed it off thankfully. He didn't know I felt that way so he found this amusing thank God.  He said that he kept thinking he'd get up.  
He told me he thought at one point he'd just close his eyes for 30 minutes and then he would think to himself I'll get up and I'll tackle this job or that one.
But each time he awoke he just couldn't keep his eyes open.  He tackled nothing as you know but I did indeed feel bad that I was thinking he was choosing to be lazy instead of taking advantage of a free day to do the things he needed to get done.

Back to normal functioning today. Whew.
It's the little things really!

13 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

I agree with the New Zealand approach. Had we all done that this would be over, done with and so countless many would not have died.
His reactions seem normal for some people but had to be scary. Especially the fatigue and the arm are pretty common. I got an itchy rash on mine but it didn't last a whole day. Fauci said he slept for 24 hours. Like you, I like to think that means we are getting the most protection. Hope Rick is feeling perfectly normal now.

Rian said...

I too agree that if we had just shut down totally for longer, we could have gotten a hold on this thing, but that didn't happen, so we are where we are. Since we are talking about strange late reactions, I will say that I had 'something' about 10 days after the first vaccine where I felt very 'off' like I had a bug, headachy, and terribly tired. Slept the day away. It lasted only 24 hours and by the next afternoon I was fine (but this was 10 days AFTER 1st vaccination). We'll never know the reasons for this. Maybe it's our individual immune systems and how they react to the vaccine...

Mike said...

"Yesterday I was a bad wife."
I thought this post was heading in a totally different direction.

Cruisin Paul said...

Oh my God Peg. After reading this I beginning worried about taking the shot but I know I have to get one ( two ). Thank goodness Rick is back to normal. Whoosh, you really scared me my friend.

Cruisin Paul

April said...

Moving?? Did I miss a post???

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, we've heard them too however we had never heard of getting the side effects a week later or as Rian just wrote - 10 days later.

Rian - before I respond. Did you ever get the emails on celiac and all the attachments? Who knew 10 days after you can get the symptoms. Last evening we assumed it had to be a symptom because he was feeling better but it was scary because that had never occurred to us.

Mike - oh tell me where you thought this was going? I really wanna know.

Paul - don't be afraid to get it. Just know that your symptoms of a side effect might not be the 1st day. And they go away in 24 hrs. AND the best part is it means your system is fighting and making anti-bodies.

April - yes, I've talked about it for a year. Our trip in the RV was where we are moving. You goofball. Hope you are well!

Olga said...

Well that sounds truly awful. I hope Rick feels better and better.

Julie H said...

I get my 2nd shot next Monday, hoping I don't have any bad side effects.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

That's just really odd and I'm glad it didn't last long for Rick.

Abby said...

How strange. I wonder if it was the vaccine. Since his shot was less than a week ago, I'm inclined to think that it was the culprit. Or coincidence? Either way, I'm glad he feels better.
Some coworkers have mentioned symptoms popping up later - weird stuff like their arm hurting at the site of their shot from weeks ago. I'd guess it's his body kicking in further. I heard we get "full" immunity one week after the second dose, so he's probably still working his way there?

Mary said...

I had the Moderna vaccine. No problems at all until exactly one week later. I got like a big hive and some smaller ones on my arm that slightly itched and were red and warm. In two days they were gone and all was well. I got the second shot and that evening I had chills before I went to bed, but nothing else. By the next day I was fine. All is well now. I know no one who has had what I’d call bad reactions to any of the shots. Mostly sore arm, maybe a bit tired for a day, chills, low fever..nothing else.

And I’m in Florida and DeSantis is a complete idiot...just like his idol, trump. We also have Gaetz who is in the news right now for underage girls and Scott who milked Medicare out of millions of dollars in fraud with his company. Florida has some real brainless people when it comes to voting against your own best interests.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mary, glad it was minimal side effects for you. Yes Florida has some real gems which is why we decided not to move there. But ya'll keep voting them in - stop it okay?
I saw how Gaetz was trying to tie Tucker Carlson into his mess. What a piece of work. But they both deserve one another. Maybe they could all go live with their friend at mar-largo. :-0

April said...

I read you every day - at least I thought I did!!