Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Let me Fix It.

I can do it myself he said.
I muttered under my breathe knowing damn well he can't do it.

Each city we have lived in he panics because it is a new cable company and new remote etc. I program everything while he is away and he comes home to it all being okay in his world. When we had a DVD player and had to record shows/movies on tape I had to do that as well. Even today with something as easy as the DVR he is clueless. What day is Fargo on? I hate that show but I program it and put it in a folder marked Rick so he can find it. 
When we got the firestick I did it. It was plug and play but I knew the remote to switch to a different input would confuse the shit out of him.  
So I explained to him how to get to it with which remote so he could watch HBO etc. It still took weeks for it to stick for the poor fella.

We have been saving for a year now for a new TV and soundbar. 
We can't hear shit and the newer the TV it seems the worse the sound.  
So add those together and you end up using closed captions sometimes. Our current TV was also lagging if we watched some things on youtube or amazon. The mouth and the sound were not always in sync. I was told by several people it was because our TV is old. The term old is relative here.
It's 5 yrs old. But apparently in TV times, it is ancient with the newer technology.
Personally, if they can make the picture better why put the speakers in the back where it is against the wall? Who is the genius that did that?

So we kept watching the prices of the TV we wanted and saw it was going down. But I was holding out for black Friday and sure enough, it dropped another $50. 
It was now $650 less than normal. I was okay with that. 
The soundbar dropped $100. So we hit enter got ourselves a new TV and soundbar.  
BUT right before I hit enter I said, "Hey Rick it's only $99 for them to install with the delivery. I think we need to do that too."

Rick huffed loudly for emphasis I guess. "Margaret, any idiot could do this. We are just taking the old one off the mount and putting this one up there"  

"But, I say, this is bigger I can't help you, and what if you need some help holding up an end or something. I think for $99 we should do this." 
No, just hit enter. He made a fuss and even though I knew better I went along with him. What the hell is wrong with me?!!

It arrived on Sunday at 8:30am. I know they said between 7-1p but honestly, I didn't expect them here that early. It took Rick 10 minutes just to open the top of the box and he thinks he can handle this? please. 
I knew how this was going to go. Why didn't he?

He moved the current TV on the mount to the left, back to the right. 
He read instructions and took out the firestick. He huffed. He puffed. 
I went to the 3rd floor I didn't want to see a TV crash to the floor that we just saved all our money for. 

He came up an hour later asking about how I was feeling. 
I said, "you know how I'm feeling now tell me what happened downstairs."
Nothing he says. 
"What do you mean nothing?"

"I mean the directions were vague they were asking for things that I don't have and I got frustrated and left the old TV right where it was"

"Good"

Then he has the balls to say, "Why don't you just see about someone coming to install it this week?" 
"
WHAT?  You realize it will cost us a boatload more now because you are so !@#"$!$ stubborn?" (I've check $300 more)

"Oh be thankful I don't feel well because I am so pissed right now Richard"
He went back downstairs. Good call on his part. 

I cooled off but it still angers me that he does this.
He can build a cabinet for the TV. He can build a fireplace and mantel to use the TV above. He can build the house the TV goes into. He just can't do one single thing with electronics. That's okay. He got a new phone, I had to help him. What the hell makes him think he can do this? It's nothing to be ashamed of. They won't take his man card. My goodness, the man can fix, build, and repair most anything just not electronics. Everyone has to have their kryptonite. Electronics are Rick's Kryptonite. He needs to face this truth. 

In the past when I've doubted him he gets all hurt and says I don't believe in him. That is utter nonsense. I just know his limitations and he needs to wake up to them too. He doesn't have to fix EVERYTHING. What is it about men that they have a need to fix and let's be honest generally they make things worse? 

Last evening he said to me, "I should know better I really don't do well with electronics."

"Ya think?"

He laughs.

I said,"from now on please allow me to remind you of this when I want to hire someone for help and you won't get mad or have hurt feelings."

"Oh I'll get mad because it pisses me off that I can't do this. It seems so simple.But I promise I won't take offense or be mad at you, just myself". 

I can live with that.

15 comments:

Grace said...

Ahh, thankfully my husband is lazy and more than happy to pay someone to do anything he can't, which is just about everything! About the only thing he will do is re-set the cable box - unplug/plug - that's the limit of his expertise LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Grace, I want Rick to be lazy as you said above.

Grace said...

I forgot to say - How the heck are you feeling - You get the stress results today, right?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

yes I did, perfect as I assumed. Thank you Grace

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Tech stiff can drive you crazy!

Now that the stress test is over, what's next?

Bobi said...

Oh the sound in the back! I thought I was the only one who complains about that. We can't hear it from the front yet around the corner 30 feet away in the kitchen, it sounds great. Grr!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bobi, exactly! They are teeny tiny speakers anyway so that the tv is thin. But putting them in the back against a wall does not make for good sound. I am thinking the inventor of the sound bar made them do it so you had to buy more shit. :-)

jean, doc tomorrow.

Arkansas Patti said...

Well hope you got that in writing that he will be mad at himself and not you. Maybe next time just push the button for installation help and surprise him. He can watch.
Still not getting an up date on you except that you have been staring at a ceiling fan for too many days.
Glad you aced your stress test but wish the docs had a really good plan to make you well again. Let us know when you know.

Julie H said...

I'm getting to the point where I wish I could just pay people to do everything so it would actually get done.

Mike said...

You can't call the company back and say you changed your mind and want the $99 install? You're husband hurt himself and now he can't do it! Yeah, that's the story!

Olga said...

My husband could do anything mechanical or electrical. He was my savior with any kind of technology. but carpentry/wood was his kryptonite. He did admit to that though and we hired my brother if we needed hammering. So I guess I appreciated that and so did my brother.

Cruisin Paul said...

I have to get someone to help because basically, I don't know much about anything other then teach. Mary Lou does a lot of the things around the home. I feel stupid at times but Oh well.

Cruisin Paul

Hope Springs said...

My DH is all into sound bars and stereos, BUT the technology of multiple remotes escapes him. We are in a new place with three TVs and three systems. Goddess help me. It takes a bit of trial and error to figure them out, I get them figured out, he is annoyed that he can't figure them out instantly. Apple TV, old and new, smart TV with a cable app. Oy. It's crazy but I refuse to buy another Apple TV or rent another cable box, so here we are.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Rick and I do have something in common, haha. When we bought our new tv (7 years ago??) Romeo asked me if I could lift the tv to the wall mount and I said Sure!! with all of the confidence I could muster. But on that fateful Saturday, I couldn't do it. I was terrified I would drop it. Then I heard the inevitable "but you said no problem!". Lol. On Sunday I asked one of my racquetball guys to come help, took 5 minutes. Whew

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well at least it took 5 minutes. Mine is still in my dining room. :-(