I had 2 companies come out for estimates and both said it could not be repaired.
One company only repairs and doesn't offer new ones.
The other company offered me a new one but my God it was so expensive to us.
Summer is here and I don't need to turn it on right now and I thought it'd be a good time to call. Today is 94 degrees and I began calling around to see if someone can come to my home for an estimate to replace this.
Look if this was my forever home I'd rip it out. I hate anything Colonial looking. When you move to the mid-Atlantic that is all there is. Ugly, ugly, ugly to me.
Colonial flat front box houses, colonial round poles, colonial brick, everything is colonial, and if like Rick and me you don't like it you are royally screwed.
No variations of homes at all here. I live in cookie cutter colonial hell.
We got an estimate for the new windows for the back of the townhouse.
We got an estimate to repair our sink and now I was looking for an estimate to replace the fireplace insert.
Now we are hoping to move next year so we need to sell and get this stuff done.
Everyone that has been here has been great. I am going to wait another few weeks for the windows to be repaired and I have someone coming next week for the sink.
So it's the fireplace that is the thorn in my side.
I called 7 places today. 2 answered the phone. One said it was $200 for an estimate. I said no thank you. She said, but you can deduct it from anything you may need to buy. I said no thank you. She actually called me back. (I imagine this is a slow time for fireplace people being 94 degrees outside) She tried to plead her case. I listened. When she was done I told her I still felt the same.
I explained that if I chose not to go with her then I am out $200 and for an estimate, I find that a bit high for me for 5 minutes of your time. I was very nice to her but I could tell she's heard this before and was frustrated. She sighed, thanked me, and then said okay and that was that. I really do get why they do this, I'm just not falling for it.
Hey, they can charge whatever they want or whatever they can get. I understand that but I too can pay what I want and I want a free in-home estimate. If anyone knows the cost of an estimate it is me. The gas, the tolls, the time not working and making $$. I get it. We still offer free because that is what we think should be done. They have the right to ask for money and I have the right to say no thank you. I seriously didn't think she would call me back like that.
Out of the 7 that I called, 5 of them told me the following things on their voicemail.
- Leave a message and someone will respond within 48 hrs. (2)
- Text MaryJo at this number xxx-xxx-xxx and she will call you when she can (is mary jo shopping?)
- Leave a message and someone will respond within the week
- They list hours of operation and how they appreciate our call but they don't answer the phone so leave a message and someone will get back to you when they can.
So those were one of the 4 things I was told by the 5 of them.
2 that I spoke to only repair the inserts they install so they won't look at ours.
Great.
No one answers the phone and I don't get it. How do they stay in business?
I went to one website that wanted photos of my fireplace and all this info and then they write back and said someone will get back to me in a couple of days.
Why does this annoy me so much?
I sure as hell know if I didn't answer the phone it goes to the next guy.
I have had it happen. When I leave at lunch and voicemail says I'm at lunch they still call the next person and they get the job. I would see a number on caller ID and call them back and apologize for being at lunch and they'd say it was okay but they called someone else because I wasn't in.
So I tried that. I did not leave a message and went to the next one on the list. But they all don't answer their phones at any hours of the day so it doesn't seem to matter. No one answers their phones period. I don't get it.
But I'm frustrated as hell.
13 comments:
Super annoying! I've had similar things happen. Its like don't you want the work?
Rip the fuckin' thing out.
Put in a big aquarium or a bookcase or ???
I hate making phone calls. I sometimes prefer to leave the message so that when they call back they're up to speed on what I need and when I need it.
Funny that I'm considering jobs that would require me to talk to people on the phone.
Considering. Not applying. Yet.
What a frustrating mess! If it was me, I'd have the gas company come cap it off and call a remodeling company to come tear it out and make the wall flat or like a built in bookcase.
I would never give up a fireplace; I love their presence in a room.
I hate fireplaces. I think it is partly because I grew up in a house where it was the only heating. Now I also hate them because they take over a room and don't allow you to decorate without considering their placement.
Today I was searching for someone to repair our sprinkler system. Someone quoted $90 just to come and look when he was in our neighborhood. I refused.
Due to the COVID 19 virus we are unable to answer our phones. Please visit out website chat feature at www.xxxx.com. (After about ten minutes of automated options just to get this information.)
Due to the COVID 19 virus we have discontinued we are unable to utilize our chat function. Please call customer service at 555-123-4567.
GAHH! Pull out my hair in frustration. Been there.
Where I live (Fla) it’s easy to get free estimates because it very competitive on anything and also not many fireplaces. Ha. Just had a roof leak repaired and it was a frustrating experience because they mostly are only interested if you need a full roof replacement. Some never called back. One man came out threw off some leaves and said it should be fine (still leaked after that), my handyman, who is not a roofer put some caulk along the area and that didn’t work either. I did finally get one to come out, give an estimate (at that point I didn’t care, as we are in rainy season) and did a proper job with new flashing etc. took about a month in all. Yes frustrating.
To All - I would never ever rip out my fireplace. I am going to sell my home. The fireplace actually adds value. I also have a jacuzzi tub in the master which we never use. Rick wanted it and has used it twice. Wasted space to me. But 3 realtors told us to keep it unless this was our forever home. It's not so we keep the big ole tub and hope someone will love it. I hate the fireplace style but I love the fireplace.
And I see that ya'll have had the same BS with companies as well. I don't get if everyone is working from home as they say on TV locally why the hell can't you answer the phone due to covid? No sense and a license to not provide service in my eyes.
It's very frustrating when you have to get someone or place but I bet, when you have them on the line, have them do a job, they want their money as fast as they want the money. People, aren't as positive and great as they use to do. I find their work efforts aren't as they use to do. I bet Rick busts his butt to work at his work, does his very best for the people and they don't even show their gratitude for his great work. That's the way it is today unfortunately.
Have a great day Peg.
Cruisin Paul
When we moved last year, we also had a gas fireplace that wouldn't fire up. We called around a little, but it seemed that no one wanted to touch it. Companies mainly did routine maintenance, but repair/ replace was slim pickin's. Maybe that's the case everywhere?
I agree with Ami's advice.
They might have scaled back due to the Covid and the 94 degrees. Still I didn't know people charged for estimates, I thought they were all free. Hope you can find some one who actually wants to work.
Abby, no ripping out - good for resale like the big ugly tub. I want it to sell quickly and for the most money I can get. Don't we all?
Patti, perhaps that is why. But locally everyone in that field is working just demanding masks and 6ft away from them. If I tried to get this in winter it would have cost me a lot more that is for certain. the majority of these companies I called have showrooms that are open as well. So maybe they are just too darn busy. I had only 1 call back. Most all free Patti but I ask now just to be sure.
That is strange. I've only had one home with a fireplace I used. I had one is a second home but I had to turn on the AC when I used it. I would have thought there would be lots of fireplace people around. I guess it is this throw-away world of ours. Everyone wants you to buy new and throw the old away.
Post a Comment