Friday, September 4, 2020

Brad Pitt

I wish I could snap out of the funk. 
I am very busy and that helps.
Then again I'd like to crawl under the covers until February. Then I may look up and see that it's groundhog day and just go back to sleep. 

In the ongoing saga of my home falling apart, I share a nice experience....sort of.

The man who came to look at our stove last night was such a hoot.
My experience with this man went like this.
He called me and I was outside watering the plants. Rick told me as I walked in that my phone rang. I asked why he didn't answer it. 
He said I didn't recognize the name. Oh brother. 
I had a feeling it was the repairman so I grabbed my phone and see a name I could not pronounce. I called it back but no answer. 
Then I got another call from the same number so I answered and he said, "I just missed your call, who are you?"
I told him I was returning his call and asked who he was. 
He laughed and said, "I'm Brad Pitt from XYZ Star Appliance. I am heading your way and I should be there in 5 minutes." I responded with, Brad you can come by anytime."  He laughed. I told Rick I can't wait to see Brad Pitt at my door. 

He arrived at 5:15 and I was thankful Rick was home. His accent and then a mask made it difficult for me to understand him. 
Rick was our interpreter. He is so good with accents. 
Rick did everything correctly on the stove btw so it wasn't him at all.

Brad Pitt turned on the stove and it worked. WHAT?
We have turned it on every day and leaving it to go to see if it will ever heat up.  
It never does. Yesterday morning I tried it again. I turned it on, I went upstairs and did my hair and came back down and nothing! 

The man walked in and turned it on and it worked. Just like that. OMG.
I felt like an ass.
He said something of which I finally could understand with the mask and accent -"Didn't you turn it on?"
No, never thought of that mister appliance man. 
Why of course, yes, we turned it on several times and again this morning. 
It was left on for 30 minutes and when I came down it was not heating. 
Then he asked, "did you put your hand in the door or open it?"
Now I am ready to slap Brad Pitt. What kind of idiot do I look like?
Then again I must look like one big one for him to ask me these silly questions. I told him I did put my hand in the door and I opened it - no heat!
He shrugged and just said, "well, it's working now" and he laughs.
Oh brother.

While he was here we asked how to take the bottom door apart so that I could clean the glass where things were stuck between the two glasses making it look like I never wipe down the front of the glass. Our next step was youtube to see a video on how to take it apart but since he was here I asked. 
He said, "Oh it will take 2 hrs. "   So I will plan 4 then. :-)
He showed us how to take off the door, what to unscrew. Clean, let dry and he said REALLY dry.  (isn't the word dry enough here?)
Then he showed us how to put it back together and done. He said the dry time is important and that takes most of the time. He was shocked that we would do this and he said you are saving yourself a minimum of $500. Oh yea, I'll clean my own oven door for $500!  He told us no one wants to do this. I told him I bet halfway through we will say the same thing but we want to try. He said I would, it's not difficult just time consuming but my company will charge you for my time.  

So that was a free visit albeit an embarrassing one.
When he left I asked Rick because he was hovering over the poor guy, Did he touch or turn something that we are unaware of? 
Rick said no he didn't do anything more than touch the temp and hit on.  
Rick said he was embarrassed but thankful it was free.
It's like when you take your car in and it stops making that noise.
I admit Free does indeed make me feel better about the total embarrassment.

This is the only company in town who will work on LG's.
I can't understand anyone who comes to repair anything LG for us. 
The first man was Asian and he smiled so much and kept bowing and I smiled back but as far as I could tell he could be saying I have a pig face and I am an ugly wench. And I smiled through it all. He was lovely but I had difficulties with hearing and the accent is all. 

The second man was also Asian but his English was easier for me to understand and he was as nice as the first man. 
Now to this Brad Pitt, I would say he was of some middle eastern country.  He was so darn gregarious. Upon opening the door he was standing there with his black face mask looking all ominous until I said hello.
Then he had the biggest grin I could tell by the crinkling of his eyes. 
He put his elbow out and we touched elbows. 
The Pandemic Handshake you know. Rick get that all the time too.

He just walked into the house like he owned the place and walked over to our oven where Rick was standing he said, " So you broke this huh?"
Rick looked at me and back at him and said, "Margaret did you say I broke it?"
Before I could answer this man is laughing and said, "no, no, I'm just joking but you are awfully guilty"  
He was a stinker and he and Rick had some laughs.
Over what I had no idea because I can't hear well and I can't understand accents well. But he was funny with the things I did hear. He teased us big time. I don't blame him, what a waste of his time. Rick tried to tip him for his time and he said, "No sir, I appreciate you appreciating me but tell my boss I'm great and that is more helpful."  Okay then. We did just that after he left. We also made sure to ask if we should tell them it was Brad Pitt who was our technician, he said, of course, the women in the office will know it's me - and he winked.
His name came over my phone, not even close to Brad Pitt but how nice to have a friendly funny man show up for a change. And it was FREE!

I think I must use my oven this weekend. 


12 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I had the same thing happen with my washing machine, wouldn't work for three days of me trying. Repairman comes, pressed the button and it starts! I was so embarrassed! He says they are mini computers that freeze up sometimes. Didn't get charged thank goodness. He said I wasn't the first to have that happen to.

I wish Brad Pitt would come to my house...either the real deal or your good-natured service guy. I could use a few laughs.

Julie H said...

Well that's annoying! I hope it continues working. My friend had all her appliances die really quickly I think they were LG or Samsung, can't remember.

That video, man that guy is so embarrassing.

Abby said...

So, Peggy. Did you turn it on? Did you check to see if it was warm??
Fess up, you just wanted Brad Pitt to come to your house!
Well, I'm glad it's working anyway, but isn't that the worst? I had a similar experience taking one of my bicycles to the shop recently because a lever wasn't working. It worked just fine for the tech pfffffft.
Honestly, it never occurred to me to take the oven door apart to clean between the glass. I might give it a go.

Olga said...

Wow! That ad does not pull a punch.

So I had a repairman come to check out a strange noise that my refrigerator was making years ago. Of course no noise, but then just as he was going to leave it did make the noise. He opens the freezer door, flips the switch on the ice maker (not hooked up). Seems my daughter had been playing with it, but of course she blamed her brother.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, yep that is what I did so I could see Mr. Pitt. :-)
One day last winter I cleaned my oven. Everything was sparkling but the glass. I scrubbed the glass but it was the ick between the glass. How it gets there is anyone guess but it now bothers me and my eye goes right to it! So I am certain this will be a winter project. Fun, fun fun right?
And glad to know I'm not the only one when the tech looks at the item and it works just fine. If you believe in God, this may be his sense of humor. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, that is a funny one. And to think it was the kids all along. I am certain that all repair techs who come to your home have had this experience. At least Mr. Brad Pitt had a sense of humor about it.

RO said...

OMG- what an adventure! And to have two fun repairmen around just sounds like so much fun. I would love to meet the parents to Brad Pitt to find out how much laughter the family had while Brad was growing up. My mom used to take to have an ear infection looked at all the time, and nothing was ever wrong. Then on the third time, they found the infection and I ended up being hospitalized through Christmas! So I can imagine how you guys must have been feeling after that dang stove wasn't working! Wow! Another chapter for that book!(lol) Hugs, RO

Mike said...

I wasn't sure where the video was going. Very nice ending!

Arkansas Patti said...

As soon as I saw POW I thought of John and 45's stupid comment about him not being a hero. And him with bone spurs.
Well Brad evidently has the magic touch. He could have charged you something but settled for an atta boy to his boss. What a guy and company.

Mary said...

Kinda like when you go to the doctor and you feel fine and the pain or whatever is gone.
Love the Lincoln Project..great ad..makes the point well

Unknown said...

Mike I have enjoyed all of the Lincoln Project videos made by republicans.

Patti, yes the dumb orange things said he never said those words. So he forgets? is just stupid? Doesn't understand how tv and videos work? Clueless? Dumb as a doorknob?

Mary, Yes exactly like that! :-)

Barbara said...

Well that is a nice ending after all the frustrations. The stove starting is hilarious. I thought that kind of thing only happened to me.