As I have mentioned right here before, I listen to a lot of podcasts and/or music during my day at my desk.
Today I was listening to a podcast from last week.
It is Katie Couric's podcast called, Next Question.
This was an interview with Ronan Farrow and his latest book.
I find it interesting that she worked with Matt Lauer for many, many years and not one question to her regarding Lauer. Hmm...
Did she talk to him off the air? How was she not interviewed during her tenure at NBC with that pond scum Lauer?
I recall when Lauer had left Lifetime TV and went to NBC. Everyone thought he was so cute. I had a girlfriend that made me turn the channel to Lifetime when he was on to see him. Isn't he cute?
Not really was my answer, cute-ish I guess but not my type I'd say.
I never saw what others saw in him.
As the years went on they weren't as kind to him as they are to most men and he looked far worse being bald with his Freddie Mercury teeth. But for some reason women loved him.
Then when he got Ann Curry fired I really didn't like him. And I didn't even know any of the awful things he was doing behind the scenes. I saw and heard Al Roker say something snide to him one morning on-air about Ann leaving and knowing full well Al thought it was Lauer's fault but I didn't get why because I just adored her and couldn't figure out how anyone could dislike her. But every pot has a lid was my thought and let it go.
Now I see the why, when and where much more clearly.
Don't you find it interesting that Katie would not even mention that she worked with Lauer? How do you have a conversation with Katie Couric and you just wrote a book about Lauer and not ask her anything or her ask him anything about him? Did they arrange that before the interview? Perhaps Katie is in the book quoted and that was enough for her? I don't know but it all felt very off to me.
17 comments:
That is weird. I'm thinking they agreed prior to the interview to not go there.
I thought Matt L was pretty attractive in his young days, but like you, I don't think the years have been a friend to him. Maybe it's all that karma catching up to him. And I've always liked Ann Curry, so yay.
Abby, yes only thing I can think of they agreed before hand. And yes, perhaps it is Karma. I'd like to think that.
I don't think it's all that odd. Katie Couric probably had to sign a gag order of sorts to get a severance package when she got fired and before the interview she made it clear, that he was off limits. They do often set a criteria for interviews. I loved her and Curry on air.
Katie on Andy Cohen
https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a13978232/katie-couric-matt-lauer-resurfaced-clip/
P.S. Maybe her publisher doesn't want her to talk about Lauer on air so people will be more intrigued to buy the book? Especially, if there was no bombshell tell-all in the pages.
Jean, Katie was never fired from NBC. She left to do her own talk show. Remember that show on in the afternoons for a few years? So that theory is out. This is not HER book so I do not understand you referencing "her publisher" This as I stated was Ronan Farrow's book. complete opposite. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.
JOeh, was that supposed to answer my question? Cause I'm confused if so. But that clip from 2017 is telling isn't it?
Margaret I wanted to delete those comments soon after I wrote them and realized I knew I had my facts mixed up. So sorry to mess up your comment section. I need to think before I write!
It has to be some kind of professional courtesy. Katie says I will not talk about it and they agree or don't get to talk with her. You have to wonder about what she knows. Sometimes you know somebody you really like but you know they have this side that is a real scumbag. I once had a boss like that. I never blew the whistle on him but if I had ever been asked in an official capacity I would have told the ugly truth. I still feel bad for what he did to others but there was the part about him I cared about. I have always felt guilty for stradling the fence.
Jean no need to be sorry. not messing up anything. I had to go reread to make sure I was clear...cuz let's face it I'm not often 😊
Barbara, oh I get that fence straddling, don't feel guilty one bit. It's your feelings. I know it must be duscussed because it is the elephant in the room.
Matt Lauer -- that's a complete story I hope never to hear. Ick.
I believe I remember her saying that she was shock by the accusations and that that was not her reality with Matt. As far as I know, she has not changed that opinion. Funny they wouldn't bring it up being that they are both journalists but ...... I don't know.......she still considers him a friend???? Strange
Linda, perhaps she does. But it would be like you receiving attention for your blog. Invited to speak on behalf of your blog and then never mention your blog. Odd and strange are two good words for it.
It does seem odd. With all the NDAs that were signed, we may never know the real story about Matt. Katie is writing a memoir also so maybe then she will tell. We may have to wait till 2021 when she publishes her book.
Patti, if she won't talk about it when that is the topic of her podcast, highly unlikely she will talk about it in her book. But who knows. It was just like the phrase, an elephant in the room, while listening. Go Nats!
Until the women stepped forward to spill the beans on Matt, I only thought he was egotistical. Like the show was his platform. I sure missed Ann when she left (or fired), and was surprised when Katie left. It makes sense now, knowing what we know.
I had a boss like Matt. It was one of the most trying times of my life. Sadly, I've had other bosses that were the same. These things have been going on for centuries. Now women finally feel confident enough to come forward where in the past it was characterized as "scorned" or "looking for revenge on a missed promotion" or something like that. As a movement, I applauded the Me Too, but of course there will always be those that take advantage.
Post a Comment