Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Vacation.

Everyone is on vacation but me.
Woe is me.
It's slow this week. Always is and always will be
We used to go to the lake at this time when we had our house there.

Rick is working on the 4th.
We have a neighbor who asked him to do her cabinets.
He has no time so he will be working on the 4th and the weekend to finish.
Me? I'll be walking Izzy and just hangin' out at home alone. Poor Peg, drinking rosé and watching "girl" shows on TV. Too damn hot to sit on the patio until evening. I only like 98 degrees when in the water. (or on a boat) 

We have a vacation at the end of the summer for the same week we always go to the lake. I miss having a house there but I don't miss having a house there.
Make sense? 
I miss just running down for the weekend and having a pretty place to stay that I know is clean. I hate renting places to stay.
I miss just hanging off our dock in a floating chair and watching Izzy "fish"
I don't miss the upkeep, the constant work when we arrived instead of just playing. I also don't miss the big mortgage payment. 

We are also going to visit Rick's newfound sisters in January.
Remember he met his sisters 2 years ago when he did his DNA.
They have been bugging us to come out since they have been here.
But it's not cheap and if we don't work, no money comes into our home. So we have to go when it is normally slow. The dates we gave them didn't work for them. It's been a long battle but finally found dates that work for all people and I bought tickets yesterday. 

My husband has been all over northern CA but never southern California.
I have been many many times so I asked him, "what do you want to definitely see or do?"
I want to see my friend Rusty, spend time chillin' with my sisters and going to an In 'N Out Burger. 
Oh, the man has lofty goals, doesn't he?
I told him he was a simpleton. He had a hearty laugh and asked what that says about me then if I married one?  Shit, good point.
I know he is going to love it and he'll want to move there. 
But we can't afford to retire in California unless we somehow get millions.
We are leaving an area with the same prices of real estate and the same traffic. Our goal is to get away from traffic and outrageous house prices. 

His sister Erin said "of course you are staying here!!"
"No, we are not."
Rick tells her, I can't have hotel sex at your house.
That made her laugh and back off.
Good one Rick.

The real reason is not having met her husband before and the others and because we like having a place to retreat.
What if we just need to get away? What if everyone is great but we just need a break? Some alone time in our room and our shower etc.
We both feel her husband is a jerk from the stories and his photo.
We could just be horrible people who are prejudging him. (I'll let you know, I am not normally wrong about my "feelings")

He looks like someone who would watch fox and believe it as news.
So Rick said that after spending hours with him and if he gets on my last nerve we are still stuck in his house. He went on to say he thought it was best to be with them all day and then retreat to our hotel.  I loved the idea because I don't care to stay in peoples homes so it worked for me. 

I know what I go through when people stay here. The menu's, the rooms, the linens, the cleaning, the everything to make sure they are comfortable.
I also know that his sister who asked us to stay, Erin, will fret about my being celiac and what foods I can and can't eat. She will make herself a wreck. I don't wish to do that to people. I get it done to me enough to know first hand it can be so stressful that the visit sucks. She will be running around doing all this work. This way she doesn't have to worry about doing half of it. I won't be eating there. We will probably go out more than not.

When Rick was on the phone with her, I heard him say what he said about hotel sex I gasped. I turned to him like, "what the hell are you saying to her?"
When he was off the phone he said, "No one has a response for that and she instantly stopped bugging me about it. It didn't go on. End of story." 
Okay, that worked.

We don't even stay at my parents before they had cats.
(Now it's because of cats and heat)
My parents keep their house so fucking hot.
Yes, fucking hot is the only way to describe my parent's house.
They don't open windows, they don't turn on the air conditioning and in winter the heat it is up to 80 and the rest of the humans are dying but my parents are chilled.

One Christmas we went to visit them and to have the big Christmas family dinner. I had on a pair of winter white wool slacks and a sweater. Rick asks me if I really want to wear this? I said you don't think this looks good? Oh no, he tells me, you look great but isn't it warm? Do you want to put something under that sweater so you don't die of heat there and you can take the sweater off? I did not heed his advice and did not put anything under my sweater but a bra. I thought I'd be fine. HA! What the hell was I thinking?

Then I see Rick dressing. He put on a pair of shorts, a Hawaiian style shirt and over top of that he put on sweat pants and a sweatshirt. I said you are wearing sweats to Christmas dinner? Oh no, I'm not wearing sweats, I'll take them off when I get there and will have on my summer clothes because between the ovens being on and the thermostat it will be like Hawaii in there.  I just left the room and laughed. I can't tell this man what to do so let him wear his summer clothes. 
In my mind, he was going to feel foolish when the rest of the family is all dressed up. 

But I was wrong.  We get to my parent's house and we are greeted in the foyer and mom takes our coats. I am taking off my boots and Rick is taking off his sweatpants.
My mom slaps his hand and says, "What are you doing Rick? 
Keep your pants on for Pete's sake it's Christmas!" 
That line to this day makes us laugh.
Apparently taking off your pants on any other day is okay though in her eyes.

When she saw that he had his docker style shorts on and his Hawaiian shirt she slapped his arm and called him an ass. She knew what he was doing.

But let me tell you what happened - everyone who came loved that Rick was dressed accordingly. My cousin said he changed before coming to just have on a shirt instead of the sweater over it because he knew it'd be hot. I had now changed and I got an old T-shirt from my mom that was my fathers because I had water dripping down my back. So much for the gorgeous clothes I was wearing.
I looked ridiculous but I was cooler. 

My father kept saying it is not that hot in here.
As all of his daughters, son in laws and others who were there had a collective LOUD moan.  
Dad laughed.

We never stayed at my parent's house because of the heat. Rick couldn't take it and honestly neither could I. When I was there in the summer they would never turn on the air. It wasn't so much the cost, trust me, it was the fact that they were always cold. I used to worry I would end up like them. But I am now the age they were when this went down. I use my A/C and I never keep the heat above 70. The dog, Rick and I prefer being a bit cool and putting on a sweater than being hot. Thank God we found each other.

18 comments:

Abby said...

It's nice for people to offer to put you up when you visit, but you're right. Sometimes you just gotta get away! Hotel sex or no...
We went to my MIL's for a get together back during the winter months. Their house was a freaking sauna! I was so physically uncomfortable. I will remember Rick's solution and dress accordingly from now on!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, you're right, it is nice for them to offer. I recall a time when staying in a town with relatives but we choose a hotel. It was fun with them all day and dinner and it was also so nice to get my face washed and to just be. Rick and I enjoyed sitting on the balcony in our pj's looking at the ocean and just chillin'. I wish people didn't take it personally. As for hot homes - this past year when Dad had hospice their house was so hot. My sister whispered to me maybe Dad is thinking he's in hell right now. I looked at my sister and she has sweat pouring down her face. We laughed like crazy. My mom was wearing a sweater!!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

One time a cousin insisted we stay with her in California. What a mistake. Her house was nearly a hoarder's house with junk and dust everywhere. My allergies couldn't take it and neither could my nerves. I kept expecting a mice to nibble on my toes in my sleep.

I can see where no one has a rebuttal to Rick's hotel sex line. That's a good one. Wouldn't work for me and the dog but....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah Jean, that made me giggle. Yes, you'd have to find another reason that can stop them from harping on you with something as personal as that I guess. (we had that issue once when someone invited us to their vacation house - oh my it was so dirty and icky I couldn't stand it.)

bluzdude said...

Peggy, I owe you a major apology!

On a wild hair, I decided to look to see if I had any pending comments online. (Usually, I just get an email when there's a comment, and approve it.)

What did I find? About a dozen unseen, unreviewed comments from YOU! I have no idea why I didn't get the corresponding emails. I got them from other comments? Stupid Blogspot! Much like the current Administration, it don't make no sense!

I just approved all your comments and tomorrow, I am going to answer them. And from now on, I guess I'll have to check my online comment Purgatory more often.

Soooooo sorry!

Cruisin Paul said...

It's nice to have a relative invite you to stay but I agree with Rick. We prefer staying in a hotel. The hotel sex is great but just having to stay with my brother or sister would be a pain for them and us. I'm sorry that Rick has to work on the 4th and you not enjoying the holiday. See ya Peg.


Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bluzdude, all's good. no need to apologize! congrats on your nuptials!

Olga said...

I don't mind staying with some people I know well. And then there are those I know well enough so as not to stay with them -- let's just meet on neutral ground.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

well said Ms. Olga!

Arkansas Patti said...

Rick is a smart man isn't he? I love my company to bring their own house (via RV). It just makes it so much easier and we each get our own private time. Think I need to get an RV also.

Barbara said...

I can't stand to be hot. I get really cranky. In fact, I have a hard time being sociable in the summer. Friends want to sit outside at the cute little restaurants we have all over and I hate that I'm the one saying no, I refuse. So come winter I socialize like crazy because I know I won't see some of them until winter comes again.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, when we pull up in an RV you'll be sorry!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, I would rather be cold than hot. I hate being hot. I too would prefer to eat in air and be a bit chilled than sitting outside and melting. You'd love it at my house. I dress for 2 seasons. While inside I have on a hoodie and pants and then I go outside in a t-shirt and shorts. My husband likes it very chilly and when watching tv I'm wrapped up in a blanket. But I'd rather be cold than hot any ole time!! Yesterday he came home from working in a home with no air on the 2nd floor. (95 degrees and high humidity!) He was so damn hot and miserable and cranky.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

While reading this, I thought immediately of my Mother's house. It's not quite as bad as your parents was, but most visitors are visibly wilting and prone to falling asleep after whatever meal was eaten.

We aren't on vacation either, but 4 people at my office we all off this week. I was kicking myself for not noticing that I could have taken the week off with only 2 1/2 vacation days taken. But we wouldn't have gone anywhere, still saving up for a replacement vehicle.

RO said...

Not much going on as far as vacation this year, but one the season is over, may take a weekend trip to Wilmington, NC for some fishing. Going in October or November makes the rates cheaper, the weather is cooler, and the crowds nonexistent. I don't really fish much, but it's a great opportunity to take pictures of my pink tackle box, pink fishing net and pink fishing pole.(lol) I've been to California many years ago, including Fisherman's Wharf and Beverly Hills and San Diego. It was fun to see all the sites,and meet fun peeps, but I was always ready to go home. Like you, I don't think I want to live there because I would be too far from my son and granddaughter. I like the idea of a RV, but then I get nervous about actually pulling up to a gas pump to put gas in, and hoping I don't hurt anyone.(lol) Hope you guys are doing well, and sending lots of hugs. RO Happy Independence Day one day late.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ro, you'd make a mess at the gas station by leaving the hose in and pulling away😁.

Julie H said...

hhahahah hotel sex is the best! Too funny.

My mother in law wears thermal underwear most of the time along with a couple more layers. Good God it's hot there too.

RO said...

LOL! Peggy, you know me so well!!!! Hugs and Happy Sunday! RO