Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Muscle Relaxer

I've mentioned here before how sometimes my magnesium will just drop even though I take 950 mg a day. Then my muscles will seize and it's so friggin' painful I can't even articulate.

The pain began slowly as it does on Sunday. By yesterday I was in horrible pain.  My doctor gave me an Rx for a muscle relaxer, telling me to take it at bedtime and it will help you. I haven't needed to use them since she gave them to me.
But, I tried it last night. 
Problem was I didn't wait until bed.

I was in so much pain I couldn't think straight. 
I shuffled down the stairs after 5pm and I got in a comfy position on the corner of the sofa.
I really didn't wish to move in any way. 
It was all good in this one spot if I sat a certain way.
Rick said he would make me something to eat.
This was about 6pm. Thank God this man is so good in the kitchen.
I recall eating some of it and said I just can't eat, I think I am going to take one of those pills.  
It took about 3 minutes to get up without screaming in pain. 
I hobbled over to the pills and took one and mosied back over to the sofa.

Rick and I chatted about his day. Then the room got all wavy gravy.
I said to Rick, "oh my god I think this pill has kicked in"
I remember nothing else.

Rick said my head went back as I said that and I was out like a light.
He tried to wake me. He said he was putting pillows around me and he picked up my arm and it was like a wet noodle. I was unaware of all the things around me.
I awoke at 4am to pillows all around me keeping me propped up in my painless position.  I slowly got off the sofa and used the bathroom. 
Hmm..pain is so much less was my groggy thought.
I managed to climb the stairs and crawled into bed until 5:15a and then ole Izzy had to pee, her turn. Thankfully Rick walked her this morning.

I got up and was shocked that it was still there but far less pain.
I am 75% better today. I love that fact. I don't love that taking a pill knocks me out of my life like that. I see now why she said 1-2 at bedtime
If I took 2 I would still be asleep for heaven's sake.  
Who the hell can take 2 of these suckers?
Wowsa is all I can say. I am a lightweight when it comes to drugs.

Percocets make me itchy, Vicodin goes one step further and gives me hives from the top of my head to my toes. I just don't do well with pills and they hit me more than most folks. Although that morphine drip in the hospital is a nice thing so it's a good thing I don't have access to that. :-)
Give me alcohol and maybe pot. I can't take any other drugs. 
I am a wimp.

But to not have my muscles seizing I guess I will do this again but wait until I'm in bed !! HA - there is a reason they tell you when to take them, I may want to listen to the doctor.  I pulled a Rick here.😛

15 comments:

joeh said...

Those drugs would make me nervous, but worth it to ease the pain. I think doctors should advise why they give certain directions.

"Take them before bed, because they will knock you the hell out before you even know it!"

April said...

Yep - I take those when I have a flare up with Intercostal neuralgia. (Basically it's nerves around my ribs act up and let me tell you it hurts like hell!) I will take one before bed and it knocks me out! I took one at work one time - that was fun! I stayed awake but was loopy. Have been known to take one just so I can sleep!!

Glad it helped!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Joeh, AGREED! But now I know.


April, I was still loopy until about 10am this morning!

Mike said...

Have you tried CBD? You can take it orally or use it topically. Claudia uses it topically when her knees bother her. A little goes a long way.

From this article https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-best-cbd-products-of-2019-that-are-the-real-deal_l_5c4b745ce4b0287e5b8a87e0 we bought https://www.endoca.com/product/hemp-oil-drops-300mg-3-percent .

We've bought a second bottle (online) because it works. A friend was having foot pain. We let her try it. Fixed.

We have CBD stores opening up all over the place in St. Louis. Even some of the grocery stores that have pharmacies are getting in on the act.

The one thing that comes to mind about buying this stuff is you want to get some that has been heated during the production process. Heating apparently releases more of the CBD in the product.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike I do take these. You've mentioned them before. I use Charlottes Web, the only place I feel comfortable buying them from. I take 2 a day/highest strength. This magnesium issue is far bigger than CBD's can fix. I have topical and I have the strongest in pill form. Same with my torn Achilles. But it does take the edge off so instead of the pain of 12 on a 1-10 scale it goes down to an 8 or 9.
Charlotte's Web is the folks who developed the strain for the young child Charlotte to stop her seizures. They were on the special by Dr. Gupta on CNN. You can call them to discuss your needs and they are most helpful. CBD helps me with regular pain, doesn't make it go away, but it dulls the edges. Just not my magnesium/celiac thing. I buy CBD's from my vet for Izzy too and they have worked very very well. If I don't take them daily my hands hurt. So it helps arthritis a lot as well.

Olga said...

I get knocked out like that from an over the counter cold pill so I always hope that I don't have to take medications. I do sometimes get leg cramps at night but I spray magnesium oil on and I'm good. I'm not sure what that is about. The only other time I suffered from leg cramps waking me up at night was during pregnancy. Not a possibility now!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga I use magnesium oil at night too. Anyway that I can get more magnesium helps. Well until diarrhea starts. That is how you know you've taken too much. :-) You know if you were preggers you could make a lot of money!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I'm glad you are feeling much better. I think doctors need to instruct patients to take half a "normal" dose until the patient knows how they'll react. Too much over prescribing going on.

Abby said...

Wow. Well I guess the stuff worked.
I take a daily calcium-magnesium-zinc supplement. Sometimes I wonder if it's doing anything, but I guess I'll keep taking it!

Mike said...

I think you need a magnesium CBD oil bath.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, I reread what I wrote to you and it sounds so snarky. I did not mean it the way I just read it. Oh my goodness. So please accept my apologies if you thought I was being a snarky bitch. I truly wasn't. As for CBD Oil w/magnesium, I'd be all over it! Rick can't work without his CBD oil. I just take the capsules.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am so sorry for all the pain you are having to go through. I did read that your chronic condition is a real magnesium depleter. I take a bath in Epsom Salts every night which helps my mild problems with night leg cramps. You don't want to get too much magnesium for that has dreadful side effects also. Hope you can find a balance.

Mike said...

I know exactly how someone can make a comment sound a little snarky. I can do it without even trying. I really have to reread my comments. Sometimes to my regret I don't. And that's after I'm thinking, boy that was funny.

Julie H said...

Well I guess it was good it took the pain away lol

Adie Das said...

So what is the name of those pills? I'm really interested to find out, as they did help you at least a little.