The deck is finished with the exception of the steps.
Rick is not happy but he messed up a step so he is taking the step off and doing this again. But when that comes off there will have to be others removed to fix this so basically he will be doing the stairs all over again.
I saw the issue and he asked if this would bother me.
I stood there and thought about it. Not because I didn't know what I wanted but because I was concerned about how he would handle what I was about to say.
He walked away and went to look for something he needed in the garage.
That bought me some time.
In my mind I was thinking, Oh heaven's I can't live with that.
But if I tell him that will he get pissed and feel pressure to take them off and do again?
But if I don't say something and it continues to bother me I know me, I''ll say something someday and then it will be too late to make the change and he'll get angry.
What to do.
He came back and said, "Your thoughts?"
I turned it around, "Well what do you want to do?"
He laughed and said, "Oh no, I know that trick. You think I should fix this corner which means I have to take this step off. "
I said, "if it doesn't make you mad, Yes honestly I'd prefer that"
"I figured, he said, you notice everything and honestly it bothers me too so I'm gonna suck it up and fix it." Then the rains started. Lucky him.
The company came Saturday at dinner time and left Sunday at 11:45am.
Rick and I immediately went out to finish the steps.
Until the rain started.
We had every intention to have the patio all put together but the rain had other ideas.
Rick got home early on Friday due to a plumbing issue at a home he was at.
We couldn't do the work we were scheduled to do so he was home at 3pm.
He took the dog swimming and upon his return, he proclaimed he was going to finish the deck with the exception of the steps.
He changed his clothes and went outside. By this time it's 6:30p.
He began sawing away at the last couple. Then he heard the kids next door scream, WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU.
When you live in a townhome you must be considerate of your neighbors.
Rick finished that row and came inside. I asked why he stopped he said they are having friends on their deck. They are grilling and looks like a party. I can't be that neighbor who has a saw going so they are miserable.
Really Rick? You only have a couple more. I'll bring them cookies.
But I knew he was right.
He gave me the one eyebrow up deal after I said that. He was going to be done.
The following day Tom (neighbor) asked if he stopped because of them.
Rick told him he didn't want to ruin their party.
"You guys are so nice. We were hoping you wouldn't be doing that all night, to be honest. Thanks, it's really appreciated."
"No problem we all have to be considerate when living on top of one another. Like your last party at 2am for the old people, that was a tough one."
"You could hear us outside?"
"Yep"
"Shit, so sorry. I guess we bring it in the house after midnight"
"Hey, that's a good rule. We'll do the same."
They both laughed knowing full well that the old folks wouldn't be out there after midnight anyway.
16 comments:
You should have put a picture of the step here. We could have voted.
Oh, Mike, he'd kill me because it looks crooked!
Isn't it funny how you can do an entire deck or paint an entire room perfectly but the one little flaw that happened is what you always focus on. When my bathroom was painted last winter they didn't fix a nail poking through the plaster board and I just last week discovered it was just painted over without fixing. Now that's all I see when I'm sitting on the toilet. LOL
You guys would be great to live next to.
Yes Jean exactly!!
well you can downsize and move next door - no shoveling that rick and my snow blower can't handle :-)
I live with the little goofs I make, because I'm afraid if O do it over it will come out worse.
In our Town house, the association would not let us add to or change our deck. I don't mind when the neighbors are loud partying, but a saw after dark would have me a bit miffed.
You & Rick are great neighbors. I wish you guys were my neigbors. Everytime they have a party, Their party contiues into the early morning with their talking, music an partying. We don't say anything because we want to be good neighbors. See ya Peg.
Cruisin Paul
I guarantee if the saw kept going, Rick would have been the topic of conversation at the party for the rest of the night.(lol) But I totally get wanting to get it all done. It's like that crooked picture we look at on the wall that just needs to be fixed, right?(lol) Hugs...RO
Yes you are observant:)) I really like how Rick's thoughtfulness also brought out the thoughtfulness of the neighbors. Quite a diplomatic victory
Joeh, he wasn't sawing in the dark. It was 6:30pm. :-)
He had about another hour to go but they were all BBQ'ing and eating and he decided that wouldn't be nice. He would NEVER do this in the dark.
Paul - oh I get it.
Ro - yes he would have been the topic but not in a nice way. :-) I couldn't live with a crooked picture. I'd get a ladder if necessary to fix that!!
Patti, no everyone would notice this I think. Yes, it worked out well. As Rick said, I was able to get in their noise from their party without being "that neighbor" We toyed with how we would say something so this worked out perfectly. We can't hear a thing in our home but when outside our bedroom window and they are partying on the patio we hear it all!!
the boy scout and I had a good laugh over your neighbors cluelessness on how early we like to have peace and quiet in our houses. MIDNIGHT!!! I'd be calling the cops!
Linda, we're already in bed by midnight but that night we woke up to a bunch of people laughing. I remember being 30 so we gave them midnight and then bring that party in the house! Can't hear a thing in the house. Thankfully that is not a regular occurrence. That was his 30th birthday party. Rick and I are older than their parents. So they have to be reminded that Grandma and Grandpa live next door!
OMG, yes. Keep the party down after midnight. One neighbor in his mid 20s would have 2 or 3 parties a year and they would last until 3 or so in the morning. I kept hoping somebody else would complain or even call the cops at 3 but I didn't want to be the bad neighbor. Finally about the 3rd party, I went over there in my nightgown. Gave everybody the evil eye and said 3 o'clock is just too late. They turned the music down or maybe off but I was so aggravated it took a long time to sleep. When you live in a neighborhood the houses are not built to keep the sound down. You have to be considerate.
Barbara, you were very nice to only give them the stink eye. I just think 20 somethings don't think. As soon as we bothered them, they got it. So it worked out well for everyone. Our bedroom is over the patio so we hear everything! We have heard some things that we shouldn't know!
Yeah my brother's have had some great neighbors "spray paint" in their back yard while we were having a party and mowing the lawn and such. Always nice. I'm glad I have some space between my neighbors.
Post a Comment