I drove north for 6 hours and had 3 seasons. Wild.
I got to the hotel, changed my clothes and ran back out to the funeral and wake.
They had a luncheon at a restaurant and then they all went to my friend's Uncle's home. I was worried I might be intrusive and so I thought I wouldn't go. However, they thought otherwise so I did.
I walked into this charming home and it was loud and there was laughter and hugging. I got past the foyer and it looked like any of my family Italian get together. Very loud, food, booze, kids running, people laughing and hugging. I felt right at home. The Irish are the same. See? We are all not that much different are we?
I had gotten up at 4am to make the trip so by 7p I was so tired. I left their home and grabbed something to eat. (I could not eat the food at their home due my issues with celiac) I found something and brought it back to my hotel. I ripped off my clothes, makeup and devoured my dinner and was fast asleep by 8:30p. It was a very long day for me.
The following morning was the luncheon with Gordon and all our friends.
It was perfect. Everyone brought photos and boy did we laugh.
We had a nice meal, a few cocktails, tons of laughing.
Gordon looks so very thin and frail.
He has the same type of cancer as Steve Jobs. So he walks in with this black turtleneck on and proclaimed if it was good enough for Jobs...
He shaved his head so he didn't have to see it all fall out. Last summer he had a full head of brown hair. He is completely white now. Ah, what illness does to us.
He had a good appetite I noticed so that was good. But he is quite thin.
But boy the laughter, the love, all of it was great.
At one point the waitress came over and said, You guys are having too much fun over here. We asked if we were being too loud and she said, "hell no, have fun, we love laughter. Just don't start fighting." Gary looked at Gordon and said, "Yea Gordon, don't start with me." and off we went with more laughing.
We all knew why we were there. Gordon thought it was because I was in town. Then when some went to the bathroom or to the bar, he took me aside to say, "You know don't you?" I nodded and we hugged. That was all.
We all talked about how we met and our first impressions and my God was that funny as hell. Melanie thought I was this prim and proper young woman and she really wanted nothing to do with me. It was 1979. I met her because of Gordon. She realized I was not what she thought I was.
Then she became my best friend.
Gordon said, "I knew of you because of your nickname. I loved your nickname but Doc told us to NEVER say that in front of you or in earshot because it made you cry.
So, of course, I would never have done that because it really was piggish but funny, rude yet appropriate and mostly because I never wanted to make you feel uncomfortable, but c'mon Peg it was perfect"
I laughed and told him he could say it if he wanted. And he looked at everyone and put his arms out, "Hey I'm dying, I get to say how much I love my friend Tits Malitz. There is an upside to this dying thing people"
Now that is only funny to us in that room but it made us crack up.
Doc who was mentioned above was my high school boyfriend and 1st husband.
Gordon met me through Doc. I got Gordon in the divorce as I like to say.
In the end, when I hugged him goodbye I knew it was the last time I would see him alive. He knew it too. It was a long strong hug. We looked into each other's eyes and said how much we meant to each other. I told him I'd call in a week or so. He lives alone and I worry so about him. Melanie is driving him to chemo and I said, "I'll check in and make sure you haven't killed Mel." That made him laugh because it is rather true. Besides he hates the fact that I would check on him but telling him to see if he killed Melanie, now that would make him happier. So I went that route. :-)
We all got in our cars. They all drove away or so I thought. I sat there and cried. Michael surprised me and knocked on my window. He asked if I wanted to go get an ice cream cone at the beach. So we did. We sat in the sand eating ice cream and talking. It was a very nice day even though a bit sad. I am glad I did this. But I'm still having trouble shaking it.
Then I went to my parents. My father has really gone downhill. He is so frail. His Parkinsons has gotten so much worse. He got this after dementia and according to my mother the dr. says this is from dementia. I tucked my dad into bed. He looked so cute in his red plaid pajamas. I sat with him and I rubbed his arm. I know he didn't know me because he again said, "I was so nice I could come back to visit"
As we held hands and I rubbed his arm I told him it was okay to let go, go be with mom, it's okay now, we've got this. If you need to move on Dad, we'll all be fine. You've done a great job of being my dad. Just say hi to mom for me." He opened his eyes and just smiled at me and muttered "mary" my mom's name. Then he closed his eyes. I don't know if he heard any of that. I don't know what he understands either anymore. I just hate seeing him like this. This is no life. This proud strong man who worked so hard all his life and now he is just a skinny, frail man who doesn't know who anyone is.
I am thankful that my stepmom is so much younger than Dad and that she can be his caregiver but I can see it all on her face too. The stress. It's all over her face. And she's not young, just not 90. She refuses to put him in a facility. I don't care for my hometown or ever want to live there, but I sure wish I was closer so I could help more.
The following morning I drove him in torrential rains for 5 of the 6 hours of my journey. I was so happy to be home. I left early because I can't drive in the dark. You know this whole eye thing.
It wasn't a fun trip but it was a necessary trip. I am glad it stopped snowing up there and I could get there. They were something like 1/10 of an inch short of the record and the goofballs were hoping to break it. The city was short that amount, the suburbs surpassed it. Who cares about breaking a snowfall record of 200 inches in a season? They did have snow in April so they almost did it.
I would think you'd want to break the record of NOT having snow for a one week period. Now that would have been a record to strive for up there in my eyes!
that's me with the gray bangs, Melanie and Gordon. The hat thing was a joke. Long story.

11 comments:
I get the hoping-to-break-a-record thing. We had that situation here, too. It's the fact that we had to endure a hard winter so we might as well get bragging rights out of it when the snowfall was that close to the record.
As hard as your trip was, I'm sure in time it will also give your great comfort that you were there BEFORE rather than 'after' for Gordon and your dad. One day soon it would be nice if you'd send your stepmother a bouquet of flowers---and not on a birthday or holiday---with a card thanking her for all she is doing. You could also check to see if area they live in has a caregiver respite service where she could leave your dad for a few hours at a time or someone who will come into the home. Most of those programs charge on a sliding scale so cost is affordable. With a computer you can do that kind of research from where you're at.
Laughter is so good for the soul. You gave Gordon a wonderful gift to share all the memories you and your friends did. So many people avoid being around someone who is terminal or severely disabled like my husband was that it means even more when people go out of the way like you did to acknowledge their special place in your life they hold.
I noticed how you tried to sneak Tits Malitz through there without much attention. Did it work?
Jean, my mom has done that on occasion, the caregivers. She just has a control issue I think.
Hey, it's her husband she can do what she wishes and I understand feeling like no one is going to be as good to him like she can. But mostly I think if something happened while she was gone, well the guilt. That happened to her mom. She was a caregiver there too. The one time she was not there, she passed. She still talks about it and I think it haunts her and plays a big part in this with Dad. I have also done that not with the flowers but just a gift card for a pedicure because she loves those.
I'm sorry to hear that anyone could avoid being around your husband. I think for the most part people don't know what to say and fear saying the wrong thing. I know I do. But I still think it's better to at least show up. A long time ago a friend was dealing with breast cancer and I was avoiding the visit and I finally just said, I was so worried to say the wrong thing and she just laughed and thanked me many times for coming. So now I figure if I say the wrong thing I hope they know it was never from a bad place.
Mike - obviously not since that is what you gleaned from that post.
Gosh this made me tear up and I don't even know these people. I know you will be so glad in the long run that you made this visit. We saw my Dad the day before he died and I am always so thankful that I had the opportunity, even though I didn't know it was the end. Glad you made it there and back safely. A long drive by yourself with a crazy eye.
Oh Sorry Barbara, didn't mean to make you cry. But you have new glasses so you could read it well. ...tee hee
That all sounds so bittersweet. I am sure you will not regret having made this effort.
I'm so glad that you're back safe and sound Peggy. Just reading your post about your visit back home, the laughing with Gordon and your friends and knowing that would be the last time with Gordon had me crying. I'll pray a prayer tonight for your friend Gordon asking God to give him strength and rest during the time he has left. You know seeing the photo that you gave us I agree Gordon does look like Steve Job, Wow!I'm glad that he really enjoyed himself with you all.
Sorry to here about your dad Peg. My friend Allan has Parkinsons and has some dementia. I play pool twice a week with Allan but I'm noticing things are changing each time I meet him. It's hurting me a great deal
I'm ready to cry but I'm smiling for him.
Well, I'm glad you're home Peg. See ya.
Cruisin Paul
Oh so sad I have tears reading that. :(
It is hard to know what to say, I thought your post was incredibly heart warming and sad all together. I recall when my Dad's wife (she was never my "step-mom") called & said if we want to see Dad while he's still alive, better come now. It was as difficult as you say ~ a once strong, hard working man had wasted to less than a hundred pounds, helpless in his hospital bed.
But I will ever be grateful that I was able to see Dad that one last time and say my goodbyes, and tell him I forgive him (that's a really long story) and that I love him. He died less than two weeks later.
For your friend, I can see it's a special relationship, and I'm sorry. He sounds like a really cool guy.
Sadness and sorrows comes in life and passes away. Need to take care of others good as much as we can so that they will feel happy....
Post a Comment