Rick and I watched a show on Netflix that happened in my hometown of Erie PA in 2003.
It is called Evil Genius.
This story is about the bank robbery that we came to know as the Pizza Bomber.
Netflix describes this as 'A bank robbery in Pennsylvania ends in the bombing death of a pizza deliveryman who may or may not have been a hostage forced to commit the crime.'
I remember when this happened it was all over the news.
Of course being my hometown I paid more attention.
But even though I was paying more attention, I was living in another state so I didn't get all the info that my family and friends would share with me.
I learned a helluva lot watching this documentary. It was short and we watched it pretty quickly. Rick called it crack. We watched episode 1 and realized we had to finish it now.
This very unattractive group of misfits is amazing.
Two of them thought they were so smart they could outsmart law enforcement and all others, yet they did such dumb things.
The woman in the center of all of this is certifiable.
She is a really really odd, mean, litigious and batshit crazy woman.
We can't forget batshit crazy. But smart enough to be very good at lying and manipulation with everyone even law enforcement to a degree.
All of her boyfriends and 1 husband died from her hands. She got away with them all. Everyone called her smart and manipulative. She may have been smart but she was crazy and I don't know how one could find her someone to be around to allow manipulation. But when you see this oddball cast of characters that live like hoarders and on the fringe of society you see a piece of her world that makes you wonder how the hell she controlled them all.
My friend Melanie was so engrossed in this trial while it was happening she took a day off work to go to the trial. Knowing full well that this woman, Marjorie, would have outbursts and be crazy for all to see while on the stand.
Marjorie did not disappoint Melanie.
She had several outbursts while on trial.
Melanie called me the day she went to the trial to tell me what she saw.
She chose this particular day to go to the trial because she knew for certain that Marjorie was taking the stand.
Melanie told me that she had never heard the F-bomb dropped so many times in her life and the judge never corrected her. She found that surprising. Unless he wanted the jurors to see that she was batshit crazy.
According to Melanie, Marjorie did not disappoint. She was very entertaining to her. One of Melanie's favorite outbursts of Marjorie's in court was when she began to berate her attorney something awful. Then she turned to him and said, "Ambrose (her previous attorney) took all my money That is why I have to have YOU as my attorney, I couldn't afford a good one!
My niece living in Florida text me and ask me if I watched this?
She was only 12 at the time of this and didn't recall much about this.
Then she said to me, "This reflects so badly on Erie, I hope people don't watch this and think that is what people look like or live like there.
I laughed and said, "I am certain that most would know that"
Yes, this cast of characters were those that lived on the fringe of society. Prostitutes, crack whores, men who knew them and used them, a man who seemed to be so mild-mannered and naive get his head blown off to a woman who killed all men she was ever involved with. Why a man would be involved with her is the big question.
Law Enforcement from the local level to FBI made a lot of errors along the way to me. The whole thing was just so damn bizarre.
All the cast of characters are dead now.
Marjorie probably was still threatening to sue from her prison cell.
She was quite litigious and made a lot of money in her lifetime suing for every damn thing.
Everyone lied, the stories were crazy and I am still convinced there was more that we will never know.
It's a quick watch if you are into Dateline Type stories.
It is only 4 episodes.
8 comments:
It's in my queue.
Mike, tell me if you think the pizza delivery man was told this was a fake bomb or if he knew it was real. At first, I thought he was just a simpleton who got caught up in the middle of it all and was clueless. Now I facilitate between he knew it was fake and he had no clue it was fake. Poor bastard!
Sounds seriously interesting. I have known people who live like hoarders and people who live off suing everyone and their brother. It's amazing how some people live. Smart people using their brains for evil when they could apply themselves to make it in the legit world are so hard to understand.
I remember reading about that in the news when it happened and have since seen several Dateline and ID Discovery stories about it. Marjorie was at one time quite pretty and evidently was well-educated. She was either bi-polar or something happened in her life to push her over to the dark side. I, like you, with all my viewings of this tale cannot decide whether delivery guy was in on it or not. I lean towards he WAS part of the plot, but didn't understand he'd likely be blown up in the end. Also, when I saw the title of your post "Pizza Deliveryman", I thought you were going to say something about you and Rick having watched a naughty porno flick.
Jean, It never ceases to amaze me how people live. We see it here daily.
Boots, Yes Marjorie was pretty and well educated at one time. But she ended up so incredibly ugly and she shaved her eyebrows off. She became ugly inside and out.
You meet her father at the end of this. He, of course, disowned her.
I thought the delivery man was innocent until this. Now I believe he thought the bomb was fake or so he was told and stupid enough to believe. I think when it begins to tick and he realizes this you can see how his demeanor changed to the cops. Poor dumb man. But that is my take away.
And no porno's but that made me laugh. Reminded me also of a Friends episode with the same title of the pizza delivery person. Ah, too funny! Thanks for the giggle.
Thank God that woman is prison. She is, isn't she?I don't really like watching shows like Dateline. I'm into shows like Swat, NCIS, NCID New Orlens, Medical shows, shows like that. Also comedy shows. Have a great evening Peggy. See ya.
Cruisin Paul
Watching for sure! Thanks for the heads up.
I'll have to go watch that!
Post a Comment