I knew a woman I met through a job function.
To me, she seemed to have it all.
But she never seemed truly happy.
TJ had a career in radio as a marketing and branding professional.
Her husband was also in radio. But now he was a professor teaching communications at a college and did all aspects of radio at the college with the students.
TJ and her lovely husband seemed to have a wonderful life.
I knew her at a time when I was just starting out and she had all the material things I would long for. She had a husband that was the nicest man in the world.
They both loved their jobs and I thought they were happy. They lived in a big fancy house with lots of stuff and toys.
One day she came to my apartment and asked if I thought I'd be ready to buy a home soon. I said I just turned 31 and I travel all the time, I'm happy with renting right now. Perhaps a condo or something but I am never home and this works fine for me right now. Besides, I just started to make a little bit of money and I surely can't afford to buy right now.
I felt as she asked she was judging me but not quite sure. But there was a tone and frankly, I didn't care. I liked my little life and my apartment was cute. I didn't need a house.
Then later that week we were in my old car. You see she had a very fine luxury car and I felt like she was slumming it in my car. We were talking about her work when she just changed course and said, "Are you happy? You always seem happy." I have to tell you that threw me. Where the hell did that come from and why did it seem like she thought I had no reason to be happy yet I was.
So I asked her the latter. She said, "Well you don't have much yet you always seem happy" Huh. I said, "I have a lot. I am smitten with a man who cherishes me, I love my job and where I am in the life right now.
I don't have a lot of material things but I'll get there as my career goes along...I hope"
I have always remembered that conversation. At the time I thought it was such an odd question to ask someone. At the same time, I felt a bit judged like I shouldn't be happy since I didn't have lots of money and "stuff". OH PHOOEY.
I've been happy poor, I've been happy with money.
I prefer with money. I admit that with no hesitation!
Not for more stuff. But for health, insurance, and the lack of stress of not having enough brings you. But for more stuff? I don't need stuff.
I have all I need. Wants are different from needs. Sure I want another pair of shoes. I don't need another pair of shoes.
When Rick and I lived in that apartment and honestly had nothing.
No extra money in a savings account. No extra money to go out or buy things. We just had enough to get by...barely. But boy oh boy do we look back on those days and talk about how much we laughed, how much we did with nothing and how damn happy we were. In fact, one hot humid day living with no air conditioning we wanted a cocktail. But we were broke and only had gin in the house. Yes, we had gin at our home but no tonic. No money to go buy tonic. No other types of mixers at all, not even juice. At the time I couldn't drink it straight so we just looked around our house. We had a packet of raspberry Kool-Aid and decided to try that. That began my summer love of Kool-Aid and Tanqueray. We called it our white trash summer drink. Yes, we were broke, but we made fun in our own way.
We went to the beach a great deal. It's free. We had a picnic once in our living room. I came home so exhausted and he had a blanket on the floor and picnic food waiting for me. He even made ants out of black paper. It made me laugh and the stress of work flew away. We used to fly kites on the beach, we would walk after dinner to the DQ with $ from our coin jars to buy a treat, we went canoeing in the lagoons, we had people over for dinner and told them to bring the liquor that matched the meal.
(Chinese, Italian, Mexican etc.)
We found ways to have fun without a lot of money. And yes, we were happy.
Today we are stressed. Stressed because we are self-employed. It's far harder than anything I have ever done in my life. The stress is far worse than anything I have ever had to deal with as well. But overall I am a happy person.
Rick and I have a great life together. As Rick said when I mentioned to him about our "old" days of being so broke but happy that it seemed like we had more fun then. He said we did, we didn't have as many responsibilities and we were young and naive. True, maybe we need to get rid of some responsibilities I said. Hmm...
Do you think you can change from being miserable to being happy?
I know a person who is always negative and thrives on the negativity. I don't think she would ever be happy. It's not who she is. It doesn't appear to be in her DNA. I think for her being miserable is her happy place.
Being a happy person doesn't mean you don't have down/depressed times.
Being a happy person doesn't mean you only see roses and rainbows either.
I wonder if you are just pre-programmed that way.
Either happy or not so happy.
Sort of like the glass half full or half empty.
I have a sister who lives in victim-dom or unhappy world and I really believe she likes it there.
It's comfortable for her there for whatever reason. She isn't a victim, she has never been, she just likes to believe she is. She is always unhappy except when she can make others feel unhappy too. Then she is happy.
What do you think?
Are you born a happy person or do you make a happy person with work on oneself? Or both?
I don't remember being any other way so I am leaning towards it is in my DNA just like my sister who loves being miserable. But I am still not convinced.
We've been talking a lot about this in our home of late.
Okay, you're turn, share! Born that way? Made that way through your own work?
9 comments:
Good morning Peg. I've always hoped to do the right thing with a smile, saying the correct word but I'm not a perfect person. Since I've been writing this blog I've wondered about some of the things that I've said, not meaning to make anyone angry but I guess that's not going to happen. I just hope that everyone can forgive. My parents brought me up to be respectable to everyone. It's amazing how people can show love and at the same time show anger. I'm confused on that.
Have a wonderful, beautiful Wednesday my friend. See ya.
Cruisin Paul
Paul, agreed! Hope your Wednesday is fabulous.
Mike - I like that and agree. :-)
I love the story about your Kool-Aid and gin and the "ants." When you were writing about your friend who asked if you were happy I expected an ending like she committed suicide or left her husband. People who asked those kinds of questions in my experience are really trying to figure out why they aren't happy.
I've always believed that I got my optimism from my dad, that being happy is a learned commodity but the fact that you and your sister presumedly were raised the same house kind of blows that theory.
Oh - that Rick is a real peach! Remember that soda called "Squirt"? I learned that it mixes with gin much the same way you came across your Kool-Aid mixers. (I'd think the lemon-lime would be pretty good too)
And yes - I think some people just can't be happy unless they're bitching about something. Seems they do it just to show that there's someone not as good as they perceive themselves. Some kind of weird inferiority complex.
Personally, I don't think the water glass is half full OR half empty. I think you have the water in the wrong sized glass!
Jean, this sister is full as well. Meaning we have the same exact parents, whereas my others are half sisters. So I sometimes think it is just in you when you are born. My parents are not like her. That's what makes me wonder.
Brian, good one - new glass! :-)
I have had squirt with gin. Not in a very long time but when I was young I had it several times.
I've had most things with gin.
I love gin and wine so there is that factor.
Hey, maybe that's why I'm happy. ha ha ha
I feel like I'm in the middle - sometimes happy - sometimes sad.
Not sure about the DNA thing - but I feel like I have always been this way.
Never really thought about it. I do know I do not like to make people sad so I would not be that kind.
I definitely think you're born leaning one way or the other. Can you change?....maybe some, but you have to want to.
I've had a good life, a good marriage although some problems after retirement, no children but some good friends. I feel I'm a mostly positive person, but I do suffer from terrible fear of loneliness, especially after my husband died and I've felt that all my life. I use to say I was born lonely. I was a much younger child of older parents and not a lot of children in the neighborhood and no cousins in my life and my parents weren't social, so I was lonely a lot.
I think we are a product of genes and environment.
I think of "happy" more as moments not a general feeling. I always hear people saying they just want to be happy. I think you have to make your own happiness.
Post a Comment