Linda wrote about her DIY skills and it got me to thinking.
When I first moved out of my parents home, my father helped.
My cousin Frank, his friend Tony and my dad all helped me move to my very first horrible apartment. I didn't see how bad it was, I just saw the freedom. It was actually quite bad.
It was a very hot muggy summer day. When we were done, my Dad bought us pizza and beers for the guys and we all sat around eating in my new apartment on the 2nd floor with no A/C and we were all dripping wet but happy as hell. 90 outside 120 inside. But I was livin' the dream.
My dad gave me 3 gifts at this time. He gave me a tool chest of sorts.
It actually was a thing that folded up and there were slots for the tools. It was blue and while I don't know what happened to the tool carrier, I still have most of those tools to this day.
At first, I was not thrilled. A tool chest? Really Dad? But I found it funny.
But let me tell you that hammer and screwdriver came in handy when it was time to hang something on the walls. (or my macrame hangings...I mean it was the 70's)
The tool chest was what my husband referred to as my "Girl Tools"
I said, "no, they are just tools"
To me that was him being a 'tool' saying that to me.
Then he compared his hammer to mine. Oh, I see.
Mine was so light. His was heavy. I liked mine better. It does the same thing but it's just easier for me to hold it and swing. But instead of "girl" tools how about beginner tools? I like that better.
It didn't matter I had a beginners tool chest of screwdrivers, hammers, wrenches, and things I had no idea what to do with anyway.
Over time as was needed I sure did learn. Too bad there were no Youtube videos at that time or DIY TV.
I recall a time I called my father and he was walking me through what I had to do. He would say get this or that tool while on the phone.
I would respond with this logic, "the thing that opens it's mouth?"
That made my father laugh.
What the hell are you talking about he'd ask me laughing?
I'd tell him it's kind of round on top and it looks like you can open its mouth.
He laughed and said I think that is it and he would continue to walk me through the plumbing type issue. I recall all I had to do was tighten this thingy. Yes, that is indeed the name of it, "thingy"
As my Dad did with all other issues he never taught me when I lived at home. He obviously thought it was important that I know this yet until I moved out he never showed me anything remotely handy. I think the answer lies in his thinking if I moved out I'd be marrying someone who would take care of me. That was my dad's generation of thought.
As you will see with my father's housewarming gifts they were very much about fire. I guess he was worried about this with me or just a nutjob.
Part 2 of his exciting gift was a rope fire ladder to get my ass out the window in case of fire.
Mom gave me a Tupperware of yummies for my new roommate and myself. My Dad gave me tools and a fire rope ladder.
To my 19 yr old self, this was not exciting.
Part 3 was a can of something and for the life of me, I don't recall what it was. I believe that too had to do with fire. It was apparent to me that my father had a real concern for me being in a fire. I wish I could ask him.
Did we even have fire detectors in 1975?
Because I was on the 2nd floor and the ability to get out was a bit crazy he thought this rope ladder was the key.
I opened that box and just howled. If a fire occurred, I would throw that ladder out the window and climb my way out of it and be safe. According to my father anyway. That damn rope ladder moved to many cities and apartments with me. But it still makes me laugh. But he's right, it's useful, funny as hell to me, but useful
Part 4 was a small red fire extinguisher that he insisted we keep in the kitchen. I said to my Dad, gee Dad Georgia's parents got her a new bed.
You are setting me up to become a firefighter.
He laughed but said I would appreciate them if needed.
Well, of course, but this 19-year-old gal would have preferred a sofa since all we had were bean bag chairs at first and a very uncomfortable wicker chair.
I learned all about my tools but I did not have a drill.
Many many years later I had graduated to the need of a drill.
(hey, keep it clean)
I recall living in an apartment where I needed to hang this planter from the sunroom ceiling. I called my friend Michael who lived 4 blocks away from me. I asked him to bring his "man tools" and c'mon down.
He laughed and said, "best request I've had all week Peg"
I laughed when I realized what I said to him.
Yep, air head moment.
I told him I'd cook if he brought his drill and hung this for me.
So now I knew I needed a drill. It kind of worked like that.
Then, of course, I met the current handy Rick.
He has enough tools to open his own Ace Hardware.
My tools are never used anymore and honestly, I am no longer singing, "I am woman hear me roar" He can do it and I don't feel terrible about asking Mr. Handy to do it for me. We have been together long enough to have our secure roles.
So do you have your own tools ladies?
17 comments:
Really enjoyed this post!
I am stubborn about doing things myself, but the post I am writing right now relates well with yours.
I just use hubs (then hear why can't you put them back when done - I will when I'm done -but I'm not done - crabby pants)!
I'm repainting the house and fixing things right now. I just got done with the kids - heck not anymore they both moved out - anyway I repainted the cabinets, painted the walls and changed the light and faucet. The faucet pissed me off! I could not get the old sink stopper part out. Back up a sec first I had asked hubs if he would loosen the pipe (I held up my hands to show him what I was talking about - hint I was referring to the elbow pipe - well he did the main part for the lines to the hot and cold. Well I guess he didn't know it started leaking. So when I got home Friday night - under sink very wet. So I tried Saturday to put it together - didn't work. So Sunday after church we went to work on it. So of course he got that damn thing out - I just didn't have the strength to turn below the sink and hold the top part still at the same time. Next up daughters room - will be my woman cave!!
Absolutely! I have a saw from when I converted a bookcase to a TV Stand years ago, an electric drill, electric screwdriver, a "girl/beginner" hammer of course, a lot of other miscellaneous screwdrivers, plyers and other thingies I rarely use, but they are here when I need 'em. I did use the electric screwdriver last week when I didn't have the strength to unscrew the temporary plates from the jeep so I could put on the permanent plates. And the hammer is used these days to loosen caps on jars, rather than the old bang on the counter method.
April - great job! My goodness you've been busy. Send photos of the she-shed or womans cave. Like the commercial, no shoes, no bras and wine. :-)
Boots - I'm still using the banging on the counter method. What do you do with the hammer?
The strength is a constant theme here with we woman. That is a big one for me too.
Your dad's gifts were also telling you without words that you were now in charge of your own little around-the-house jobs.
Back when pink tool boxes and pink tools came out I gave them at 5-6 bridal showers. Some thought they were funny but I also heard someone say those pink tools will always stay put because guys won't borrow them to use.
I bought myself one of those robe ladders and kept it under my bed for years. I was a great comfort to me. Thanks for bringing back some memories.
A few years back I got my sister and my daughter their own set of tools. My sister says her husband is always borrowing her tools.
Jean, when I was flipping homes I got myself a pink tool belt. My husband wore it several times when he didn't have his. He took a lot of ribbing from contractors on site but he didn't care.
Mike - so you really needed to buy your BIL tools. :-) Every woman needs their own set of tools I have found, I just needed to learn the names of them, not the one with the mouth.
My grandparents bought me one of those ladders! When I moved out of the 2nd floor apartment I gave it back to them, thinking they had a second floor and I didn't.
I have my own toolbox. On the lid it says, "mom's toolworks" Underneath that, in smaller letters, "Does yours?"
But Eric does all the man stuff... pounds things in, pushes things over, builds and moves furniture etc.
Tools make the world go round! Funny how when we were young, our own apartment was so special no matter how bad it was. Freedom.
When I got divorced I got custody of as many tools as I could smuggle off. I didn't know how to use them but I figured I might have to learn so better to have them on hand.
Barbara, good thinking!! And did you use them?
My mom gave me a little tool box too. Scott took off with most of them and now I can never find a hammer
Julie, well as long as Scott is using them, what the hell
Tools...love my tools. I have actually building mine up. I have enough screwdrivers to do anything but I have been getting bigger and bigger with SAWS. Love them. At that age I would have wondered about dad giving me a gift like that but at my age now, I see the value of it. Great post, great gift.
Hi Pam, welcome! I don't do saws. I am clumsy and I like my fingers. :-)
everyone knows you don't need a roofing hammer to hang a picture. why would you bother to swing the extra weight?
you got nothing to prove. hooray for small hammers.
"Thingy", that's the word that when ,y brain doesn't click to. Since my stroke in 1977, I find words difficult to get so I say , "thingy". It just makes my wife so mad.
When I was young even as a teenager my dad wouldn't teach us using tools. Since we were in music, he didn't want our fingers injured. I wish he would have taught us about how use them. Even to this day I have a problem using a drill but I was able to be a great teacher. My wife is the handyman in the house. I just assist her.
One thing that bothered me was that I wasn't able to teach my son about tools and other things. Luckily, he learned about on his own. You were lucky to have a father that knew about things like that.
Have a great day Peggy. See ya.
Cruisin Paul
Post a Comment