Monday, April 9, 2018

Funny Photos

Back to the office. Yee-Haa, she said sarcastically.

My sister got here in time for dinner Tuesday. We had dinner, drinks and talked all night. In the morning we just hung out. I thought she'd want to go somewhere but she didn't. And she didn't get up until late morning so I got to work in the a.m. 

It was so nice to spend time with her without the distractions of kids and husbands. It was very very nice.
She brought me some funny photos that she found at moms in our Grandmothers boxes. I will include some here because they are funny.
You can tell the era by my hair.  There was also a letter I wrote Grandma when I was in school. 

I went back to school at the ripe old age of 26 1/2 after my divorce. I had very little money and I recall living on a can of tuna for 3 days with saltines. No mayo, just horrible tuna in water with some saltines. I mean to tell you I was broke. I was paying for school as well so if it came to a school payment or food, food never won!

In my letter, I thanked my Grandmother for the meatloaf she gave me to take back to school. I ate it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sandwiches and just alone. I was reading this letter and laughing because it all came back to me. Hey, it wasn't tuna so I'd eat anything at that point. 
The thing about that is that I hate all seafood so to know me and know I ate this for days because I was so broke tells you how broke I was.

We had some good laughs about when we lived together in our Pullman apartment and when we ate a whole hot fudge cake for dinner and while watching a movie and never ate real food. Hot fudge cake and red wine. That was our dinner. She never gained weight. She was so thin and she ate nothing but junk. Once went I went into her room there were plates of food everywhere. All empty, but a cake plate, a plate of cookie crumbs and the like. She was a hoot. I couldn't do that. She is not like that now and we whined about it all.

In these pictures, we found I had a love of scarves wrapped around my ponytail. I think I thought I was Rhoda Morgenstern. I totally forgot I wore those. I can tell the decade by my clothes and hair. My grandmother has it written on the back too. She has a lot of my birthdays. 
Here are a few for your giggles. Go ahead and laugh at me, I don't mind we laughed our asses off. We shook our heads a lot and said, "What were we thinking" But I love that I have these to make fun of myself. It's a great time capsule.


Let us start with this one. The furniture is from the 60's when my mom was alive so I am guessing 11 or 12. She died in '69 when I was 13. I don't believe I am that old here. I always look older though to me.
Could just be the boobs at 11. 

 Oh, the hair, the boyfriend's hair and glasses and 'stache. 
My sister on my left is now 47, put that in perspective, doesn't it? 
I remember this so clearly yet, can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday. Funny how that works.
Yes, that is a Holly Hobby Cake. At 20, what a goof.


I so remember this one. This was about the time that I began to feel awful. Little did I know my thyroid wasn't functioning. I cut my hair and then I cried until it grew back. Then I bought this skirt for Easter and I got a size up and thought I was just too fat to be seen. This was behind my Grandmothers motel. So the pose is even funnier when you know these things. My sister asked if I was soliciting. I think I was 18 or 19 here. Those shoes do not accentuate your gams at all. 

I really remember this Sunday dinner below. This was around 1988.
I am wearing 2 sweaters here. Why? It bulked me up and made me look so large. I probably thought I was covering my boobs. I did that all the time. Someone should have shown me the pic, I would have not done that again. Reminds me when my mom told me not to slouch because I wasn't hiding my boobs like I thought I was. She said to me, "it just makes you look like a young woman with big boobs who slouches, it's not attractive." That cracks me up to this day. Her pearls of wisdom. 
This picture of my Dad is how I remember him most. 
My sister with the '80s hair like me is now 44 almost 45 now. 
Look at the cutie with her braces!
Yes, that is Rick with his porn 'stache. HA!
I need to take a photo of us now. So you can see the old version of us.
We never take photos of ourselves except our first and last selfie. As you can see that didn't work out too well. The man holding the camera is 6'2" and he forgot I am 5'1". It is one of my favorites of us though because it makes me laugh. I think this was like 4 years ago. I am guessing by the color of my walls, cabinets, fridge and old balusters. All are different now.
Or we can look at the lines around my eyes. Either way 😋



12 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Great photos but I want to know how you know what a porno 'stache looking like...oh, wait, I figured it out. LOL Love your meatloaf memory. That's what's great about saving old letters.

Mike said...

I had hair like your 20's birthday party boyfriend. That would have been in the 70's. How much cosmetic surgery would it take to get us back to the 70's look.

Linda d said...

Great post. So glad you had a special time with your sis.

We all want what we don’t have. 12 year old body still. Never did develop boobs. I slouched to try to hide my lack. Ah well.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, I've just heard others say it.😆

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, for me a helluva lot.Maybe we could get a twofer.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Libda, we can slouch together 😀

alessandra said...

Haha, the last pic is hilarious, I mean the fact that he kept the camera so up. Egocentric! Also the 70's look is terrible, but you were always pretty anyway.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Alessandra, yes the 70's weren't great as far as clothing were they? The 80's were also awful. But each decade we say that I suppose. Thanks I'm not so great at 62. :-) But then again when I was 19 I thought I was hideous. We never like what we have. Now I am old, wrinkled and chubby.

Barbara said...

I love those photos. What a hoot! I have been printing out certain photos and putting in an album for the grand girls. If I keep them on the phone or lap top and nobody saves them for them, they will never get to relive the memories. And, what is a happy life but a collection of good memories.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, couldn't agree with you more. It's sad that pictures are only on phones and computers. We should print them and save them like this. I had such a wonderful time looking at all of these and the flood of memories.

Julie H said...

I love old pictures. You should be nicer to your younger self you are so cute!

I call scott my human selfie stick. Just gotta put the arm up higher and angle down a bit lol

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, I love it, human selfie stick!
I wish my arms were long enough 🤣