Friday, April 20, 2018

Landscaping

We currently need some landscaping and hardscaping done in the front of our townhome.Everything has died. It looks awful. The company that did this told us they stand behind their plantings and if something should die they will replace free of charge.

Now what you need to know is that the front of our home never sees sun. NEVER. Not even a teeny tiny bit of sun. The back of our home is loaded with nothing but sun all day long. So when they came out here to lay out the design we went over the information of no sun.  We went over this so many times it was like a broken record. They promised shade hearty plantings. We watered and fed and did all that as we do in the back of the house. Died, died, died.
Then the winter finished off the laurel. So right now I have a couple of rows of weeds and a few dozen dead things and a two-tiered stone wall of nothing but weeds and old mulch. 

It's that time of year when the HOA comes around and gives out the nasty grams telling you to fix this or that or be fined or worse publically flogged. 
I saw a neighbor getting hardscaping and landscaping done while Izzy and I were out on our lunchtime marathon walk. I stopped and asked him to give me a card. He gave me a card and walked over to our home with me. He gave me an idea of what he would be doing, suggestions since no sun and said I'd have a written estimate in 24 hrs. It's been 240 hours. I wrote an email and he said he'd have it soon. I think we both have different definitions of soon.

I called 8 companies.
Company 1 - Located about 5 blocks from me. He won't work in this area, only a town 22 miles away from me. Odd since he lives and his office is just a few blocks from me. The person on the phone was abrasive and I wondered what that is about?
Company 2 - They charge $149 for an estimate. No thank you.
Company 3 - made an appointment and he/she never showed up.
Company 4 - made an appointment and he/she never showed up
Company 5 - name given to me by someone on NextDoor (are you familiar with this app?) I called this person and they barely spoke English, didn't understand what I said I wanted. I tried to explain several times slowly. Didn't help. Then he asked where this was located and he didn't know where I lived. I thanked him for his time and hung up. It was too difficult.
Company 6 - made an appointment for today at 3. I will let you know if he shows up. I have a feeling this man will. But I also have a feeling he will be unable to do what we need him to do. 
Company 7 - refuses to work with townhomes ( I am assuming they are too small, why make 3-4K when you can make 10K+)
Company 8  -  same as company 7.

So there ya go. I was hoping this would be completed before the HOA witches start doing their rounds. Doesn't look like that will happen.
I think it's great that everyone has so much money and business they don't need to call people back or show up for appointments. I wish we had that problem.

If it wasn't such backbreaking work for my old man and me we'd do it ourselves. We know our limits. The ground here mostly rocks as well. We need some young backs on this project.

I'll keep you posted to see if Company 6 shows up today.
He may just get the job because of that reason. 

10 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I am so lucky that my nephew is in the landscape business and he's pretty good. Even so, with any business that depends on having good weather they can easily get overwhelmed with work in certain seasons. Still no excuse for making appointments and not showing up and not calling to reschedule. People not returning calls is so ANNOYING! Good luck!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, I started this in March when the weather was bad hoping I would get someone before the rush of "spring" but just wasn't meant to be I guess.

Mike said...

I've been in the situation of 'the guy that shows up gets the job' before. Don't pay them until they're done. You may never see them again.

Barbara said...

Hum. I had mine done at my last house using a guy with an ad in the local newspaper. He did a decent job. That has been years ago. Glad I don't have to try to do it again if that is what the market is like now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - oh i would never ever pay before the job is done.
But I sure would like the job to be done.

Barbara - if only people used the newspaper today. That no longer applies. No one wants to work more than they have to anymore. And the large companies want such an outrageous amount of money for the small patch we have to work with. I have a feeling we will end up doing this ourselves and then deal with the pain and medical issues later.

Ami said...

My man does landscaping. I guess it would be pretty expensive to fly him out there, put him up for a few days and pay all his expenses, though.
Good luck with it, there *are* good companies out there. And don't get me started on the whole HOA thing. There are good things about them but jesus god harold...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, what are those good things about an HOA? I haven't found one yet. When we moved here we thought we'd be here for 3 years tops. (moved here from PNW) and we really wanted to go further east. But.....shit happened.
I feel our HOA are all little Nazi's.
Or those kids who were abused in high school and now they wield their power.

Olga said...

I feel your pain on this one. I have been trying to get someone to do some landscaping at my place in Florida for four years now. I have had a couple of call backs but no one has shown up yet. I am slowly doing little plantings here and there and may just call that good enough.

RO said...

Wow! It's pretty hard to imagine that it's that difficult to find businesses that want to make money, and make it so difficult for customers. And to charge $149 for a dang estimate is crazy!!! Then to have you waiting and no one shows up. I sure hope you find someone soon, and hate that you're going through such a nightmare. Hang in There! Hugs...RO

Julie H said...

Crazy