Friday, December 29, 2017

Binged on The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

I binged watched The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
I LOVED IT!!!
I read that it is up for a few Golden Globes. 
Apparently, a lot of people agree with me then.

This was watched by me in the wee hours of the morning.
Rick and the dog were snoring and I couldn't sleep.
So I went downstairs and thought I'd see what all the buzz was about.
I thought the 1st episode was okay so I watched the next. 
Okay, it's getting better.
Before you know it I had watched it all and had fallen in love with these people.

I loved everything about it. I could relate to all things except the rich upper west side parents. I had the working class parents in the burbs.
This Jewish family is my family. 
The only difference is my parents are Italian.
So many similarities though I think it would shock most people.
Just shows you we are all the same really.

The things her father expected of her were things my father had said to me many many times in my youth. You see to my father college for women was a waste of money. He would say to me that college was for women to go find a husband. It was not for education. Females didn't need an education he would tell me.
Amazing to me that he thought that way. 

This takes place in the mid to late 50's.
This bright, smart, funny, beautiful woman is ahead of her time.
She thinks she had it all until her husband comes home and tells her he is leaving her for his secretary. 
He is unhappy with how his life has turned out, or so he thinks.
She is feisty and wants everything a man does. Society won't let her.

On a shallow note - I love the clothes she wears.Swing coats to die for. But the gloves killed me. I remember having to wear clothes to go shopping downtown. She pushes a baby stroller in heels, dress and gloves with her bracelet over her gloves like my mom did. 
How silly that all is to me now. 

But back to the story. 
All of the actors are top notch. Her mother is a hoot and overbearing. I would have been miserable if I had a mom whose sole thought was one must be skinny and pretty to live a good life. But the comments on the baby's big forehead did make me laugh.
Here is what the internet says about the show below.

It's the late 1950s and Miriam "Midge" Maisel has everything she has ever wanted -- the perfect husband, two kids and an elegant apartment on New York's Upper West Side. Her seemingly idyllic life takes a surprising turn when she discovers a hidden talent she didn't previously know she had -- stand-up comedy. This revelation changes her life forever as she begins a journey that takes her from her comfortable life on the Upper West Side through the cafes and nightclubs of Greenwich Village as she makes her way through the city's comedy industry on a path that could ultimately lead her to a spot on the "Tonight Show" couch. 



I hope you get an opportunity to watch this comedy. I don't know that men will enjoy since there is nothing that blows up but tempers and no bloodshed or violence. Rapid fire speech,yes, not rapid gunfire. 

14 comments:

alessandra said...

I watched it too a few weeks ago and I liked it, in fact I'm a bit pissed that it's over already. I couldn't relate at all to her life. Anyway there's just one thing...her stand up comedy didn't make me laugh one bit, is it me or what?

BootsandBraids said...

I've been watching on the laptop via amazon prime, limiting myself to one episode every few days and just finished. LOVED Tony Schaloub as the dad. Can’t wait for Season 2.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Alessandra, No it wasn't hilarious and neither was Lenny Bruce who is considered one of the best ever. I think it was just the times.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Boots, I thought the casting was very good. When isn't Tony S great?

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Thanks for writing about this. I've been trying to find something to watch with my new Amazon Prime.

My dad didn't think college was for women to find a husband but I sure had an adviser who did and wouldn't let me take certain classes because it would take a seat away from a man who "needed to support a family."

Linda d said...

I'm a fan! Something new under the sun.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean- crazy isn't it? I wanted to be in radio. I was told that no one would listen to a woman she "drone's" Let me know if you like the Series.
(wrote it here in 2010 https://straightupnochaser.blogspot.com/2010/02/rosie-radio.html)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean- Hope you enjoy it as much as me!

Ami said...

Huh. Well, I have Prime, too. Now I'm going to have to figure out how to watch it. It sounds like fun. :)

I remember my mom wearing gloves, too. A proper lady.
I, however, am not a proper lady. And it's not just because I don't wear gloves. :-D

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, we used to wear dress clothes to go shopping downtown. We wore our "nice" clothes and gloves and went shopping and had lunch. This was when I was a very little girl with my mom. Just like in the show. But as a teenager in the 70's and as an old lady now I would not wear gloves unless it was cold out. I too am not a proper lady, whatever the hell that is. I swear like a sailor and I didn't have kids. That alone puts me in a corner of bad women. :-) Don't be put off with the 1st episode, keep going and trust me it gets going. Only 8 episodes for season 1 so not a lot.

Barbara said...

It is definitely on my list to watch. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure I will too.

Julie H said...

Yeah! I needed something to watch and this sounds like it's right up my alley.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, let me know what you think ok?

Julie H said...

Very good! I think I've already watched about 10 more shows since then lol. Thanks for the Amazon Prime thing I am like a whole new world of things to watch since it feels like I've watched all the good stuff on Netflix already.