Friday, May 13, 2016

Shoes, Lures and Gamblin'

There was a blues song in the late 80's or early 90's and a line from it said, 'I used to worry 'bout rich and skinny 'til I wound up poor and fat.' That pretty much sums up my life I'd say. 

The singer is coming to town and I saw that but it was a school night. Can't go on a school night. So I was disappointed.
But then my devil of a hubby saw they added a show for Saturday and he bought tickets. Now, I had other plans for the weekend. You see it's his birthday weekend so I thought I'd kidnap him and take him to Hollywood Casino and have him play poker. Ya'll know after fishing this is his favorite thing to do, play Texas Hold 'Em. (okay, after sex, fishing and then poker)  
The other night he let it slip that we had plans. I asked how he knew. Knowing full well I had not shared with him or anyone my plans to kidnap him, board Izzy and head off to Charlestown. The look on his face when he realized what he had done was pretty funny. I said, "You may as well just tell me Rick"  So he explained he had made the reservation for Izzy and was taking me to Birchmere (venue) to see Delbert McClinton and he booked a hotel nearby so we could have cocktails and not worry about driving. And here I thought he knew about my plans for him.

Nice guy huh? Yeah, he's a keeper. His birthday weekend he had a surprise for me.  Backwards for sure, but I'm sure appreciative.  Now I must make his birthday that much more special. His actual birthday is Thursday.  He wants a special homemade cake so I know I'll bake him that. I got him a couple of gifts already but I have to say buying him gifts is so damn difficult. He wants nothing. He could care less about clothes. Shoes, yes, clothes not so much. He always wants tools or something to do with fishing. I've done that for 29 yrs, I need new ideas. When I ask he says, "I don't want anything. I have everything I need."  Aargh. C'mon you can think of something.  

Izzy loves to sit on our stoop and watch the world go by. We prefer sitting on that big L-shaped sofa on the patio. But Izzy doesn't agree. Because of this Rick spends a lot of time sitting on the stoop with her. He found a cushion a few years back down at the pond and brought it home. He sits on that.  It is now falling apart. So I thought I'd get him a comfy little seat that has a back and arms. He said something one day that he needed to get a new cushion and he said, "wouldn't it be great if they came with a back?"  I said it would but I have never seen that. 

The following week I began googling this. I found one. I know he will like that having a back. The other thing is something he has said in passing that he would like as well. Again, it's a tool. I seriously don't know why he needs so damn many tools or fishing lures but I made the mistake of asking that once. He responded with, "why do you need so many black shoes?"  Touche.  I need to think of that garage of tools as my closet of shoes. But in my defense most of my shoes are so much cheaper. 

3 comments:

Mike said...

By the time you get all the tools you need, you're too old to use them.

Julie H said...

Happy Birthday to Rick! Sounds like a fun weekend ahead! I can never think of anything "I want" either. If I want it I'll just go buy it. Unless I can't afford it then I won't and he shouldn't either lol

Barbara said...

Ha. The seat sounds perfect and I like the comparison of tools to shoes. It's right on point. Sounds like a wonderful, relaxing weekend. Hope you two have a lovely time on his birthday.