Friday, May 20, 2016

Birthday Cake

Rick's birthday was yesterday and he got to do exactly what he wanted - nothing.
He had the day off and he took 2 naps, took the dog swimming, watched awful testosterone filled movies with violence and no dialogue. (ok that is my description of the movies, there was I'm sure dialogue at some point between guns and things blowing up)  To him a perfect day.

We determined last evening that the only time 61 is considered young is when you die.
You know, He was ONLY 60 when he passed, he was so young.
But if you are just at any ole event, you're the old fart.
For some reason, that amused us.

Rick has been whining about craving a dense moist chocolate cake for a month now while he's been dieting. He lost 24lbs so far. I made him a homemade chocolate cake with choc buttercream frosting. He cheated on his diet and ate 2 pieces. One the night before his birthday to "just to make sure it's good Margaret"

I went downstairs yesterday at lunchtime to grab something to eat and bring to my desk. I found Rick in the kitchen slicing up the cake and wrapping the individual pieces and then putting them in a bigger ziplock freezer bag. I had to laugh. He said if this cake sits here it will be gone. So I'm freezing pieces to eat later when I want to cheat.  I got a chuckle out of that one. The only reason it isn't already gone is because I can't eat gluten or that cake wouldn't have a chance of being around by Sunday!

He got a text last night after we went to bed. He read it this morning.
It said, "I wanted to call you buddy to wish you a happy birthday, but I know you're in bed, I've been at the flats and now on my way home and I'm in trouble."
To Rick, that was the best text or happy birthday he got all day. He really thought that was funny. Drunk texting to say happy birthday.

I may reach out to his wife today for a good laugh. They live in another city now, used to be our immediate next door neighbors. Love 'em. This is also the man who always put anatomically correct snowmen on our porch, rang the bell and would run. They denied the things they did for years, but as soon as they moved it all stopped. No coincidence there.

7 comments:

Julie H said...

Wow 24 pounds that's awesome! We are in the "all my clothes have shrunk" mode around here. ugh. I hate that I can't just eat crap and watch tv lol.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well Julie, remember Rick was on a shit ton of medication, he sat/laid in a chair for 3 1/2 months with no movement/exercise of any kind. So he put on some major lbs. But it's almost gone.

Mike said...

I ask for nothing for my birthdays also. I have plenty of stuff. But I know people are going to get me more stuff anyway. So I look up obscure tools I can't find reason enough to buy and put them on a list. Here's one for Rick. $24.00

http://www.amazon.com/SCREWDRIVER-SECURITY-SPECIALTY-Ratchet-TRI-WING/dp/B005YCX8HG

I've got more suggestions.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, our garage is a virtual hardware store. I got him this one http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-R3-Pocket-Hole-System/dp/B000J43A7W?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

because he actually didn't have this. He has a similar item as what you sent. Don't encourage his addiction to tools.

alessandra said...

So funny, I do the same thing, I mean freeze cakes that I don't want to make disappear in a couple of days.
Happy belated birthday to Rick!

Barbara said...

Rick was pretty clever to freeze the cake. If it was me I'd be finding out what microwaved cake tastes like.

Julie H said...

Oh yeah I forgot he had gained some, that's great he's doing so well though.