Last night I meet the worlds oldest crankiest doctor ever.
Allow me to set the picture for you.
I had to return to the ENT office but this time I had to see the doctor, where as last time I saw the doctor who did hearing tests.
This man was as old as dirt. He was a grumpy old Gus as well. He did not smile.
He looked like Santa Claus, with his white hair that was way too long.
He had a big ole belly like Santa too. He wore a red lab coat and with his white hair I swear he could have been Santa at any Mall.
He was so old that he wore something I have only seen in books or old movies.
I don't know what they are called but they are a shiny metal disc in the front and it is attached to a head band that wraps around his head.
I think they are used as a reflector of light but I do not know for certain.
He really looked like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting with a hint of Santa.
This Cranky Santa Man was going to remove skin that had grown over my ear drum.
They think this was caused from an infection long ago, but they aren't certain.
I was telling the audiologist that this right ear felt like it had water in it or was plugged and it hurt a bit. So after she looked at it she said I had to go back to him to have it removed.
I was told by Cranky Santa that this wouldn't hurt at all. No need for numbing he tells me after I asked. I lay on the table and he shows me what he is going to do. He puts this thing in my ear that looked just like a funnel. Then he showed me the forceps he was going to use to remove this layer of skin over my ear drum.
He said, "it may pinch so don't move"
PINCH? If that is a pinch I hate like hell to know what pain is to this guy.
It hurt like hell. I must say I was shocked by that because honestly I just didn't think it would be anything at all. It felt like a pin pricking along with intense pressure.
Apparently I moved. So he said, "we'll take a break for a minute."
I swear he no sooner said that and he started again. Then he said, "I'm going to stop again and rest my hand and we'll continue is that okay?"
What am I going to say, No?
He continues and I am putting on my strong face while squeezing the sides of the table with white knuckles. I am trying to pretend this doesn't hurt one bit.
Finally he finishes and shows me this piece of skin in the shape of my ear drum.
As soon as he got it off I knew. It was as though I was wearing ear muffs and suddenly took them off.Or another way to explain it is when your ears pop and they feel so much better and you can hear better. That was the feeling....along with intense pain.
I asked if this could come back. He said, possibly. Never looking up from his folder.
Then he walked out. Guess I'm done then.
So I walk to the reception area and he comes out with my "hearing" folder.
I asked if removing that would have improved my hearing test.
He looked over the my results and looked at me and said, "I know what you want to me to say, but I'm sorry it wouldn't have made a difference." This was the first time he smiled and he patted my shoulder in a Cranky Grandfather way.
He then saw me hold/press on my ear and he said, "Does it still hurt?"
"Yes, it sure does."
"Just go home and take an aspirin you'll be fine, you're a tough girl" he says as he just walks away.
As I stood there paying my bill it was now throbbing like it had a heart beat all its own.
Pain and a heart beat, what every girl wants.
I said to the woman signing me out, "I would think I'd get something to numb this while he did it and possibly something for afterwards"
She laughed and told me that Cranky Santa doesn't believe in pain pills or numbing, he thinks we are all just big babies and we just have to suck it up.
Lovely. Me? I prefer better living through modern chemistry.
So today while it feels better to not have the pressure and water in my ear feeling. It is still throbbing and I have pain. Hopefully that will be gone soon. I took aspirin all day.
Karma for Cranky Santa is going to be a real bitch when he gets sick.
11 comments:
That doctor was an idiot! Ears are super sensitive! I've had my ear irrigated before and IT HURT! Also, my oldest son, who is super duper brave and tough, about died when they irrigated his. It made his ear bleed!
I agree with you 100% Ms.A.
I can't believe how much I am still in pain. He was a sadistic bastard.
I had to get a new ENT due to change in my insurance. I just hate that I am beholden to who I can see and who I can't see due to insurance. I would not see this old coot again! I have never had an ear irrigated but I know that this "surgery" as he referred to it wasn't fun. I just found some left over numbing drops from my ear infection days that I forgot about and just put in my ear. It helps for a short time. And a glass of wine. :-)
i've seen doctors use the reflector thingie. it does a really good job of focusing light.
as for no numbing, that guy is an idiot. modern science tells us that things actually heal better when they don't hurt.
flask,good to know it is a reflector
thingy after all. If your theory is correct, it could explain why I'm hurting so much tonight. :-)
Go to a urgent care clinic and tell them you were mugged by a doctor and need pain meds.
I'm a big pain baby - I would of been off that table so fast!!!
I'm such a baby that when I had my kids by C-section - I made my doctor do dissolvable stitches because the thought of someone taking staples out just makes my skin crawl. So when I had my tubes tied - they did dissolvable stitches but when I went for my check up that damn doctor said he was removing it - I was like why they will dissolve. Yes he removed them and it hurt like hell!!!
April you're funny. Stuff like you listed doesn't bother me normally. I have been told I have a high tolerance for pain, perhaps I don't. I have had a lot of surgeries and I normally don't even take the meds they give me...of course unless its morphine - oh i do like that one. :-)
But this was like having a root canal without Novocaine. I have to admit I was surprised. I didn't think it was going to hurt. It still hurts but it's not enough to whine about now or take anything for. So it too shall pass.
His attitude bothered me more than anything.
Hey now I just had a root canal on Tuesday - love me some gas and pain pills!!
April, I have never had gas....that I'd like to try. Jeez, listen to me I sound like a drug addict. :-)
Oh man that sounds so painful! Jess had tubes removed in the office once. They numbed her all up and she still cried like a baby when it was done so I know it hurt.
Julie, with the exception of my blogger friends every told me 8 was being a baby. Today my ear is 100%back to normal. Yipee.
well not counting my slight hearing loss.:-)
Post a Comment