I unfortunately live in the highest population of deer ticks in the US.
Loudoun County Virginia.
Last year Rick was bit 9 times. I was bit only 3. As we all know Izzy has lyme disease and she gets her monthly tick treatment but still gets bit.
Because Frontline, Advantix and others only prevent some ticks from biting and not all.
Rick checks Izzy for ticks every day - twice a day come tick season. We call it her tick check.
Izzy is so used to this that when we tell her it's time for a tick check, she will immediately lay down and roll over and it appears she likes it. Weird dog.
We spray ourselves with tick spray each day we walk out the door. Its like my warm weather cologne. It's awful. We don't normally go on trails in summer for this reason.
We still get bit in the neighborhood walking on sidewalks or the doggy park with grass.
How weird is that?
But now it is sort of spring here. (more like summer at 83 degrees) We were walking a trail with our dog and had a nice afternoon. I had on a pair of leggings and flip flops. We didn't spray ourselves because it was our first day out without a friggin' parka.
Didn't even occur to us, although it should have.
A few hours after coming home I went to the bathroom.
As I sat down and my pants were at my knees I see a tick climbing up my leg.
AAAHHH!!!! It had crawled up from my feet to inside my pants. OMG that grossed me out.
I ripped off my pants so fast and because I let out a loud screech my husband comes running to the bathroom door asking if I'm okay. I tell him to come in. He sees the tick on the floor and kills it and tells me to go take off all my clothes and shower. I throw all these things in the washer and turn it on. I jump in the shower.
As I am showering Rick walks into the shower with me telling me he has to do a tick check.
So I guess that's what he's calling it these days.
7 comments:
My, what a great opportunity. Hope he was very, very thorough!
Gee you men think alike don'tcha?
:-)
Dang ticks! And dang the pesticides you put on your body to avoid them. Both are bad news and dangerous.
Ms. A if you have a natural ingredient that will work we would try it. We've tried so many and still get eaten alive. So I am already 1 bite into the season.
Tick story.... A friend said lets go to his property in the woods. It's only March. The ticks won't be out yet. Him - 0 ticks, Me - 9. I'm a tick magnet.
Mike, it's because we're sweet meat.
That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.
oh wait, or did you mean chick magnet?
LOL they made a song about that
Post a Comment