As I have said my father has been in a lot of pain. It is his back. They have been trying things on him basically to avoid surgery at age 86. My father worked at Wal-Mart as a greeter for the last 10 years because he just hated being retired with nothing to do.
(these are not words one will ever hear me utter....ever)
Dad told me that all of his friends, including his best friend, his brother, passed and he could no longer play golf due to a shoulder injury and there was nothing left to do.
Oh he watches the nun on his Catholic channel religiously (no pun intended) but other than that he feels he has nothing else. He says his rosary daily and sits.
My mom still works so she is gone all day so he is bored out of his mind.
Then the pain began and he had to leave work. The next phase was he was unable to walk without a walker. That embarrassed him terribly. But he never missed church, which is my father to the end.
Then he could barely walk with the walker. He was in so much pain and that was when our conversations turned to, "I'm ready to go Peg".
But this last epidural they gave him apparently did the trick.
I called him as I do sometimes during the day on my lunch break to chat with him.
I tell myself I'm keeping him company but honestly it makes me feel good too.
He was out of breath. I said, "Daddy are you okay?" I was frantic!
He laughed his hearty laugh and said, "Sure, I just had to hurry from the garage to get the phone."
(if he knew
how to use the machine he could return calls the numb nut)
He told me he was mowing the lawn. I shrieked, "Are you nuts? What
are you doing that for?"
Ever so calmly he tells me, “Because the grass was long”
I said, “Old man you shouldn't be doing this.”
He said, “I feel great and I’m going back to work too.”
“WHAT????? You are 86, enjoy life, relax. Does mom know this plan?”
I can’t relax he tells me, "I want to work and be busy."
Besides he says, “your mother keeps me on a tight leash, I need my
own money” and he laughs his big hearty laugh.
So I know he’s feeling better and honestly his voice made me smile
because I could hear he was better you know?
Then he goes, “This is Peg right?”
"Who else calls you old man?" He laughs and said, “no one that
is how I knew it was you besides you bust my balls more than anyone too.” And
again he cracks himself up laughing.
He doesn't hear well so sometimes I am not sure it is because he
can’t hear me well or because he is forgetful that he asks who it is. I
normally say from the start, ‘Hi Daddy it’s Peggy” but I didn't this time because he was out of
breath and it frightened me to hear that. So damn happy he is doing
so well that he can go stand at Wal-Mart. Crazy ass old man.
He never ever even shopped in a Wal-Mart before and now he's been there 10 years. They gave him a plague. It all cracks my family to bits we think it's so funny.
____________________________
My Son In Law - My SIL was back in the hospital last week. This time due to a bruise he saw on his arm that was now swelling. When he called the doctor they told him to get to the hospital immediately. He had a clot in his arm, a blood clot in his neck, shoulder and lungs.
He was put on an IV of heparin. He was in the hospital for 2 days. He is now home resting and he has to give himself shots of a drug to stop the clotting. As for his other heart issues I have no further word. At least none that make any kind of sense to me.
Last evening Rick spoke to his daughter and she just said he is trying to rest and nothing has either improved or gone backwards. She is hoping this rest will move him forward. But that doesn't make sense to us. How will only rest and medication make this better?
Again we don't want to constantly be bugging them but something is amiss to us. Rick did bring up a couple of things to her and she said, "I'd prefer he stay in the hospital so he is monitored 24/7. This is beginning to scare me." BEGINNING?
I don't know what is next for him. I just pray he gets well.
I made her laugh when I told her, "Last June you vowed in sickness and in health, you are just getting the pesky sickness out of the way early and it will be smooth sailing from here on out." She laughed and said "Hey maybe you're right and we had to be tested early."
You never know. I hope that is all it is too.

7 comments:
Great news on your dad!
I'm surprised the sil got to go home so fast. Scott was there like 5 days and he just had it in his leg not as scary as the lung and all the others.
Julie - one of our concerns is the kind of health care he is getting. We thought that was fast too. I wish he'd get more opinions.
You had me chucking about your dad. Glad he feels so spry. As for your SIL, I hope he continues to mend. It does seem weird that he'd be released so soon, but each of us heals differently. I do wish they'd get a second opinion. I think sometimes people get stuck in the belief that nothing bad will happen to them so that when something does it feels unbelievable. And then their actions are slow.
Tell your Dad to take pills and go play golf again. Or get a new shoulder.
Arnebya - I find that people tend to say things like, "I really like my doctor" so they don't seek a 2nd opinion. You can love your doctor and it is not going to offend them to get a 2nd opinion. He just keeps saying, he loves his doctor. Yes, but he thought you had pneumonia for 6 weeks.
Mike - never gonna happen Mike for the old guy.
Oh Peg I am glad I'd checked in today! Tell your dad NOT to go back to work at Walmart! Take it from me (because this is why I have back issues at my young age), standing on those concert floors for hours straight will make his back start hurting again! I'm to the point, I look forward to my back injections every three months and if you've ever had one done you would understand it's not the most pleasant of pains. Maybe he can find a nice place to donate his time AND sit, like a local hospital or school. BUT I'm telling you he'll be back to hurting before you know it and it's because of that damn floor that has no give.
Bonnie, I think it's funny that you think me telling my father ANYTHING would make him listen. Never gonna happen.
I have had 4 back surgeries. I have had the epidural nerve root block injections. Painful as hell. But my father will never listen to anyone other than himself or the pope.
Post a Comment