My oh my has my last 30 days been a trip.
After the flu I thought things were going to get back to normal around here. Obviously there were other plans in store for me.
My first full day of feeling well had Rick down for the count.
Oh no, not the flu. That would be too easy for us.
No siree bob we had to do this right, he had to hurt his back.
Now when the Big Guy is down the world stops. He is the worlds worst patient. I'd rather knock him over the head until he is better. He doesn't listen to the doctors or anyone else.
So when he was unable to stand I knew we were in for a helluva ride.
Thankfully this time was different in that he listened to his doctors.
I think this scared him as well.
Yep, my first full day of no flu symptoms and I am trying to help a 6'2" 245lb man walk.
I'm 5'1 people, not easy. (no I'm not telling you my weight)
It all started on Thursday after work.
He walked in the house, barely, and asked me to call his chiropractor.
He barely made it home because driving was so difficult. So I drove him over there.
He limped out of there and came home. He iced himself and went to bed.
I am always being given pain medication which I never take. I don't like how it makes me feel. I take it because I know Rick will end up needing it sometime and sure enough this was the time. I made him take some and go to bed.
Neither of slept much. While he couldn't actually do any tossing and turning he could sure make grunts, groans and noises that kept me awake.
By morning he was unable to get out of bed. I helped lift him to only have him fall.
He got on all 4's and that is when we learned that position was comfortable for him.
He crawled all around the house. He was in so much pain it showed all over his face.
I felt for him. Having 4 back surgeries I understand back pain.
But one can be as empathetic as all get out but it doesn't help the person in pain at all.
Now Izzy thought while he was on the floor it would be play time. Poor Izzy.
Rick was not feeling playful. Nor did he have much humor when I suggested he clean the floor while he was down there. Apparently there is no humor when you're on all fours in the kitchen and not getting lucky. Who knew? No one told me these rules.
From his reaction I knew not to say anything like that again.
I called his spine doctor at the VA Spine Institute the minute they opened and begged to see his doctor today. They got us in. If I didn't kill Rick by the time his appointment came around we'd be fine. Rick is mean when he's sick or in pain. The rest of the world when in pain is quiet, suffering in silence. Oh not my Big Man. He's a Big Cranky Baby! And lucky me gets the brunt of it.
Our next problem was how the hell we get this big lug out to my car? He can't go outside on all 4's. Well he could but he'd be muddy and the neighbors.....
I am pulled in front of the house. I get Izzy in the car to drop her off at day care. I don't have anyone near me who could walk her and I had a feeling we could be gone for well over 5 hrs and she'd need to go out. So I dropped her off at day care along the way. After I got Izzy in the car I came back in to try to help Rick outside. OMG it was pure hell on us both. More him than me I realize but his weight on me wasn't easy but I did my best. Once he is sitting he is okay. We have a scale we use. 1-10. 10 being the worst.
He was an 11 he said. Sitting he was a 4-5.
He could tolerate the 4-5.
So the ride over was easy - getting him in/out of the car not so much.
When we arrived I called and they met us with a wheelchair out front.
Once inside we were sent to a room.
I have a doctor at this place too. I love their thoroughness. I love their skills, reputation etc.
I don't however like that they don't take insurance. But I digress.
Rick had an X-ray and then the PA came in. The X-ray showed that nothing worse happened to the issue he has already. That is good. Then they did the exam while waiting for the doctor. The PA gave her opinion. It sounded good, as good as these things can be. They weren't using words like surgery, immediately, dire, you know like that.
The doctor came in and pretty much did the same things and gave his evalution.
We began with a steroid pack and later PT, muscle relaxers, pain meds and anti-inflammatories after the steroid pack.
After that if pain persists an MRI, then they will determine next course of action, be it an epidural or if it's something more than what they are thinking now. But first a less invasive course of action to see if that is enough, for now.
They made it sound like Rick would be walking in 24 hrs. I was doubtful seeing him like this.
I got the Rx filled on the way home after picking up Izzy. And yes I was right we were gone way over 5 hrs and this way I didn't need to worry about her. By now Rick was medicated and it was easier to get him inside the house even though his one leg wasn't really "walking"
After I got him situated on the sofa where he insisted he would be most comfortable he passed out immediately. Whew. At least he could sleep a bit before the pain drove him bonkers. I spent the rest of the day rearranging his schedule knowing full well he would not be working this week.
It is truly amazing how nice and how rotten people can be. Yes, I get it lady, you've had that pink tub since 1960 and it must be made white this Friday or you'll die.I asked if company was coming and she said, 'Oh no, i'm just tired of the pink"
She was flipping out - I begrudgingly gave her discounts and threw in free shit and she was still bitching. I finally told her that I was truly sorry we couldn't accommodate her and I certainly understand if she has to go elsewhere but we hope you don't type of thing.
You know what she said, "Oh no I'll wait for him I read all the reviews and I think he would be worth waiting for"
So she was bitching just to bitch at me I guess. I needed that extra shit today lady thank you.
Most were super nice and said things like, "Oh hell it's been ugly this long one more week won't hurt me."
I gladly gave them free shit for the inconvenience.
So that was Friday.
Saturday he tried to walk outside. He went outside with Izzy and me but a block was all he could muster and sadly he couldn't walk back. I had to get the car. The dog just sat on top of his feet until I arrived. He looked so full of pain it hurt me....and Izzy.
Sunday he was walking with a stick/cane/broom handle. (It was amazing.)
Yes, he got a broom handle. We put a tennis ball on the bottom so it didn't scratch the floors and that really drove the dog crazy because she thought this was some new toy. It was funny. A cane didn't work for him but this broom handle did the trick.
Whatever works is my philosophy.
Rick was feeling well enough that his humor was back. So when he would get up and make this funky move and I laughed he didn't get angry. I told him he looked like Stevie Wonder and he laughed so hard he had to sit down. Because he realized he probably did.
FF to today - he is walking without his broom handle. He is still in some pain but it is now a more muscular pain. Last night in bed he was moaning & I suggested he put a pillow between his knees for comfort.
And even in pain the ass said, "How 'bout I put something between your knees"
"Oh for Gods sake Richard!!"
So I threw a pillow at him and he put it between his knees.
Then I see his face and I ask, "What in the hell are you doing?"
"I'm squeezing my knees together."
"What the hell for?"
Then he lets out a very loud AH.
I sat up and asked, "Is that a good AH or a bad AH?"
He said he felt a "pop" deep deep down in his hip area and the searing pain is now gone.
Really? Just like that? He got out of bed and stood up. He turned on the light and said look - as he took a step. Now he still has a bit of a hitch in his gitty up but he was walking okay.
Okay compared to what he had been doing that is.
This morning the same. He is feeling so much better so maybe the drugs will be enough.
Only time will tell I suppose.
He thinks he can go back to work tomorrow.
Not on his life! The week was rescheduled. I told him I need him alive. And if he is going to die its because I killed him - no one else!
Me? I'm not sleeping and I feel like I'm running 100mph. For the first time in our lives I took out the garbage. That made him laugh. I've lived here 14 yrs now and I still never know what day the garbage is collected.
I want/need a month of all of us feeling okay. A non happening uninteresting month sounds like heaven about now.
3 comments:
Holy crap that sucks! You'd think between the chiro and the spine place someone could have popped that for him :(
i wish you both a great deal of boredom in the coming weeks.
julie - it's still not great, still a limp. it all sucks.
flask - THANK YOU!!
Post a Comment