I just couldn't do it. Boy I sure do wish I could have.
In my old life $200 was no big deal. That would just be a 15 minute trip to Target.
However in this new normal of my life $200 now is a damn big deal for me.
And I could sure use it.
I actually paused for a moment when this offer was made.
The 2 second pause even startled me. But I just couldn't do it.
Joe is a neighbor who we have become good friends with over the last couple of years.
He is a young man who owns an accounting firm.
He called me around 5ish on Friday.
Joe is a big strapping young man who could be Rick younger brother (well more like son) because they both have the same sick sense of humor and a quick retort every time.
I love this kid so I welcomed the call when I saw his name on caller ID.
He asked in his happy tone if I would like to make $200.00
"What are you asking me to do big boy?"
He laughed, "I have a client Peg who needs some people for a commercial they are making. They need people over 55 who don't look old. They seem to have a lot of old looking people. When he asked me if I knew anyone I thought immediately of you and Rick.
"Oh flattery will get your everywhere Joe. When and where is this?"
"It's in Annandale tomorrow from 10am - 2pm. They will give you a script to learn so you aren't just talking off the cuff"
"What is the commercial for Joe?"
Joe hesitated and then said, "It's a political commercial."
"Joe, is this for Mitt Romney?"
"Yes", he replied a bit sheepishly.
I paused....I sighed because damn it I could use the $200.
"Joe I just can't do that. I wish to God I could but I just can't. I'm sorry.
I appreciate you asking us and I can even speak for Rick on this one.
I will ask the woman across the street who is over 55 for you if you'd like"
(I did ask Rick after I hung up - he said hell no just like I thought he would)
Joe laughed and told me that he doesn't follow politics but his wife does and said, "Peggy is too open minded to be a Romney supporter. I bet she won't do it"
I laughed and told Joe to thank Nikki for me. That to me was a compliment.
I told him I'd ask Karen across the street and get back to him.
Karen emphatically said a big NO.
So an older retired woman and a woman broke as hell both turned down $200.
I wish I could have brought myself to do it. I hate having principles.
I left Joe with one request, "If you want to pay me $200 for another other type of commercial or for someone who needs health care I'm your gal so please call me!"
Would you take money for something you didn't believe in?
10 comments:
So you turned down an acting job? LOL! Don't look for Hollywood to call you anytime soon.
Cora...no worries there. Hollywood only likes the young and anorexic. I'm neither.:-)
i love this! and im totally proud of you. but i knew you wouldnt do it anyway.
i definitely wouldnt do it for $200....but that got me to thinking, would i do it for any amount? $2000. no. $20,000. hmmm....probably not. $200,000? i honestly dont know at that point. i'd sure like to think i wouldnt but $200,000 would pay for college for my kids.
what are your thoughts on larger amounts of money?
Tammie - oh Rick and I talked about this. He said you can take some and donate to someone else. Nope. I don't think I would although it would be tempting. I'd be so disappointed in myself if I did that. I just want to believe I wouldn't. Rick said he would in a heart beat. That made me laugh. He told me that if it was big money he'd have to consider. And he went on that me and my principals couldn't spend it if he took it. He cracks me up.
ha ha ha. i like ricks idea of donating it.
but ultimately i think im with you. i just dont know if i could live with myself afterwards.
Tammie - Exactly!!
I have never regretted the things I have done only the things I haven't done.
This if done I would regret. I know me well enough to know that.
It would make me feel terrible about myself. it's not worth it. Now if I had kids to feed....maybe a different story. who knows. thankfully i don't need to make that decision for those reasons.
good for you!
You should have called the Obama campaign (you still can) and tell them what happened. Maybe they can make a commercial about you turning down the money.
flask - thank you.
Mike - nah, I really don't have a face for TV....more like radio.
I would have turned it down too. OR took the job and donated it to Planned Parenthood in his name.
Post a Comment