Thursday, September 13, 2012

BOOM!

At 3:30a.m. we awoke to a loud boom.
Rick thought it was a pipe bomb. What does that sound like I ask?
He said, "what we just heard"
Okay that was a dumb question as well as his smart ass answer.
But it was 3:30a.m. Give me a break.

The windows were open and the dog was startled. 
She barked once and as the scaredy cat is prone to do she them jumped on the bed.
Oh my big guard dog Izzy.

Rick got dressed because he thought the sound came from the back of the house where our bedroom windows face. It also is where his work vehicle is parked. So he was concerned.

He and Izzy went outside while I stayed in bed.
They were gone for what seemed like a longer time than it should take to check this out.
So now I get up and grab my robe and go downstairs.
I look out the front window and see all kind of commotion.
Lights flashing, people milling around.  
I could see Rick and Izzy talking to a policeman.

When Rick came back he told me what was going on.
Apparently someone hit a car.
They left their damaged car parked and this person was no where to be found. 
The Honda that was hit was parked up the street.
Normally he parks in his garage but this night for some reason which we don't know he was parked out in front of his house. Bet he won't do that again.

The car that hit him was now parked across the street from his car.
For all they knew he was hiding in the woods near by.
The sheriff was talking to people asking what they heard and saw.
Who saw anything at 3:30a.m. on a very early Thursday morning? 
But because Rick was out there with Izzy they asked him some questions too.

The car that was hit was a mess. I am sure it's totaled. It is an older Honda Accord.
The back wheel axial is completely messed up. How's that for a technical explanation?
The tire is going inward and it's also no longer completely on the ground. And that is just one section of the car. The parts that flew off are still on the side of the street on the grass as of this morning when I was walking the dog.

I assume the driver who hit this man was drunk and that was why he ran off.
But how stupid to leave his car because I would assume that would trace right back to him wouldn't it?

I am glad no one got hurt and I am very glad it wasn't my car.
Selfish bitch that I am.
___________________________________________________________
UPDATE:  I was chatting with the neighbor who's car was hit. The person who hit him left him a note on his car. It read, "I'm really sorry I hit you"  Nothing else. So he seemed to have some guilt.  I guess that is something. But he/she ran off. I'm sure he/she knows they will be caught but they will be sober by then.  Only reason I can think of why someone who do that.

12 comments:

Mike said...

'Bet he won't do that again.'

That will teach him to break from routine. That's just asking for trouble.. .... oops, it's 2:39, time to go look out the front window...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah c'mon you know what I meant Mike.
It's not his fault but if someone hit my car like that and sent it down the street from where it was parked I may be a bit paranoid to park out front again.

Ms. A said...

I HATE being startled awake!

Bet your neighbor is kicking his own butt, for not parking in his garage.

PS: I'm on my third attempt to type in your word verification!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Cora, I had so many attempts yesterday on a blog that I gave up so I never left a comment. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord, I'm not giving up my quiet cul-du-sac before I find an isolated mountain retreat. (A cheap isolated mountain retreat.)

Lizbeth said...

Dear Lord....we lived on a dead end street. Our neighbor was drunk as a skunk one night and drove over every single mailbox late one Saturday night. That Sunday he was out giving each one of us new mailboxes with his wife right behind him chewing him out. I still laugh at remembering his hungover face.....

Carolyn said...

Yikes!! I'm sure they will find him, unless that car was stolen. The same thing happened to my friend. A drunk driver crashed into her parked car in the middle of the night and it was totaled. The guy also tried to run away but they were able to find him thankfully.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Lizbeth - now that picture is hysterical!

Carolyn - they'll find this person since they left their car at the scene. But the person will be sober so they can't get them for drinking and driving then right?

Anonymous said...

what a bizarre story. but im glad it wasnt a pipe bomb.

Arnebya said...

Either the person was drunk or the car was stolen (think a teenager out for a joy ride with no license. It can be traced back to whoever owns it, but he/she just needs to prove someone else was driving/that it was stolen). But yeah, I'd guess most likely the person was drunk. (Truth be told, it could happen from texting or talking on the phone or eating. Any kind of distraction, together with speeding and loss of control is easy).

We still park in front of our house but we park back further so that if someone (usually in the same spot) comes barreling around the corner they'll hit the tree instead of our car (now of course I'm imaging the tree hitting the house or the car missing the tree and running into the living room THANKS, PEG!). We had our Explorer totaled (which in turn hit our Touareg; that was a hit and run. We saw the person drive away and couldn't believe he wasn't hurt. He had to have been hurt). Our Jeep Commander was hit when it still had paper tags. That guy did come back, but not for an hour (I think he tried to sober up) and he brought someone with him to speak for him.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Arnebya - WOW. both of your cars at one time. Damn you have some bad luck. i will not be parking near you, no offense. They just seem to find you Arnebya

Julie H said...

Maybe the car was stolen? People steal cars out here all the time and take them for joy rides until they run out of gas and then half the time light them on fire to destroy the evidence.