Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Free Ice

Our refridgerator 's ice maker has died. 
We are actually buying ice now. It's come to that.
I didn't realize how much ice we use until we have none.
I do drink ice water all day and Rick has his cocktails.
So we need to buy ice  until Monday when they replace my ice maker.
Since we've been buying ice lately it reminded me of my dad growing up.
Buying ice is something that really bothered my father.
When I was young he would buy it to keep the keg cool when his brother and family came over.
That was okay apparently to him. A purpose.
But when I was a teenager he went nutso about buying ice.
I'd want to fill my cooler with ice to go to the beach.
He'd tell me to just use the ice in the fridge.
Remember these?











He thought it was ridiculous to buy frozen water.
"Take them from the tray's Peg, we can make more you don't have to pay for it"
These stupid trays that you ran under water first to "loosen" them.
These stupid trays my sister stuck her tongue to.
(That made me laugh. She cried. )
I am sure he's had to change by now, since we buy bottled water.
I don't live with him anymore so I haven't heard that rant from him.
But as a kid he would go on and on about buying ice.
I never understood his fixation on it but that's my dad.
One can't understand any of his fixations and rants.
That makes him well, my Dad.

Leaving Friday very early morning.
So I have a ton to do and will be gone after today.
I will return with lots to tell you about.

Here is my boy, Robbie Cano, don'tcha know.
Cute Commerical.

14 comments:

Lizbeth said...

Safe travels and we had those silver ice trays! Gaw, does that bring back memories!

Arnebya said...

Ha! We had those trays too. I always pulled too hard and either my hand would get stuck while holding it down or ice would fly. I think our refrigerator is about to just outright die. I hope I'm wrong, but at a minimum, it's going to need a defibrilator in no more than two days, I'm sure.

My father refuses to buy air at the gas station. I remember as a child seeing the Free Air sign and thinking it ridiculous (isn't all air free?). He still remembers trying to explain that to me too, why they were specifying it was air for tires, but he still can't wrap his mind around the fact that he's expected to pay for it now, especially not $.75 for less than 3 minutes. I'm giggling now b/c he can really work himself up with the "it's just so stupid. Why in the hell would I pay for air?"

Have a good, safe trip.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Arneyba - that's funny about the air. I have never seen where you have to pay for air to fill your tires. I thought it was still free. See how often I take care of that?
Falls under the heading of Rick's job. :-)

Mike said...

Free ice made with free electricity. I need to figure out how to do that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well Mike if there is one thing you need to know it's this - my father says NOTHING that makes any sense. NOTHING.
He thinks I'm not a real woman because I had a career and no kids.
And I am going straight to hell because I am not Catholic.
He's a fun guy!

Tracy said...

Oh my, I do remember ice trays like that! they were much easier then the ones we have now Imust say. I'm also with you on the stupidity of payin for ics!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tracy - actually I don't mind paying for ice - that is my dad's issue. he has a lot of issues. :-)

Anonymous said...

Our icemaker starts just fine, but the button to stop it is moody. Sometimes you get a nice cup of ice, sometimes you get a pile of the stuff on the floor in front of the fridge. Eh.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Word Nerd - ooh - that doesn't sound good.

mamahasspoken said...

This so reminds me of the days traveling with my dad. We would have a cooler or two in the back of the car and we ALWAYS but ice in them in the evening and then again in the morning using the ice from the machine at the hotel we were staying at because it was free.
Now I find myself doing the same thing when I travel...

Ms. A said...

Oh my gosh, I can't even think straight to comment, from having chills remembering those stupid ice trays!!! That awful noise they would make!

Anonymous said...

Oh I've stuck my tongue to those damn trays as well. Have a marvelous weekend Peg.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Diva - of course You did! :-)

Anonymous said...

the fridge in our apartment doesn't have an ice maker so i have to use THOSE TRAYS. i live in the dark ages i tell ya. in the summer when its really hot and we use more ice we do actually have to PAY for it because we just can't make it quick enough. i do miss my ice maker.