Thursday, December 15, 2011

I Love Elmo!

I know it's strange to hear a grown woman with no children say she loves Elmo.
I know how bad that sounds. I get it.
But I really do love Elmo.

There is something about that little red character that just makes me smile.
I can be in the most foul ass mood and I hear the Elmo voice or giggle and it makes me smile.
Hell when I hear the music to Elmo's world I smile. I know, I know, I'm certifiable.
You would think it would annoy the hell out of me but nope just the opposite.

I have never been into puppets. Ever.
Although I do admit I loved Mr. Moose on Captain Kangaroo.
A show which I know most of you don't know because you are too young.
But just puppets I never had an interest really.

I didn't get to watch Sesame Street as a kid.
I was over the age group to watch it by the time the show was on television.
Although I will admit here to the world that at that time in my life my boyfriend and I would get high and watch it with my sister who is 17 years younger than me.
Bad babysitter! 
Hey it was 1974 don't judge me, you've seen that 70's show.  
But let me tell you The Count and Bert and Ernie were pretty damn funny to me stoned.

Having no children you probably wonder how the hell I found out about Elmo.
My nieces did that for me. I would watch it with them when they were small.
No, I wasn't getting stoned then but I did find that I very much enjoyed this character Elmo.

Being Elmo is now a documentary and I will be one that will line up to see it.
I find it fascinating that this 51 year old man is so good at being an innocent 3 year old.



7 comments:

Lizbeth said...

I've mentioned about my general fear of puppets and anything that needs to be operated by inserting your hand up its butt but I do have to make an exception--I love Sesame Street and all the other characters. I used to love Bert and Ernie and Big Bird and Cookie Monster....ahhhh the good old days!!!

Ms. A said...

How interesting! I never gave much thought to the people behind the puppets.

Had Elmo on this morning, for the grandbaby.

Mike said...

I wonder how much helium they use while shooting Elmo scenes.

Sagittarian said...

Hi, my first time here, and i enjoy reading your post.:) I love Elmo too since i was small, yeah..:) Thanks for sharing!:)

Anonymous said...

even though elmo was never my favorite, i do kinda want to see that movie.

i think there is something to be said about watching shows intended for pre schoolers. its soothing escapism. you know that when you watch sesame street no one is going to start talking about paying the electric bill.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie you hit the proverbial nail on the head here. It is total escapism and I love nothing more if I'm being honest. I just read an interview with Ricky G. Where he said some of his favorite work has been with sesame street. I get that.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, I'm an Elmo fan. His perfect little chuckle makes me laugh.