I remember back in the day....before most of you were born.
There was a commercial with Madge the manicurist who had the women soak their hands in Palmolive dish soap. Apparently back in the 60's - 70's when this commercial ran, a sure sign of a woman's age were her hands. I have not found that to be true.
I am talking about the same thing Nora Ephron wrote a book on....My neck.
Okay she didn't write a book about my neck per se, it was her neck that she hated.
I now know that I didn't even fully understand it when I read this book.
But damn it, it has caught up to me....I too, hate my neck!
Oh my neck was just fine before I lost weight.
Apparently the fat was good for something.
It ironed out the wrinkles and wobbly bits.
But I didn't want the weight so off it goes and viola a new (to me) old neck.
Looking back I now realize why Diane Keaton always wears turtlenecks.
I get it now.
I showed my new neck to my husband, who you would think would've noticed this if he looks at me at all. But he says he doesn't see the big deal.
This proves it once and for all - love is blind.
I can't STOP seeing it every time I look in the mirror.
Another reason to avoid mirrors, windows and any reflective surface...like the toaster.
First my hip goes out and now this revelation.
Old age is exhausting man.

22 comments:
When I read her book right after it came out, I didn't have a problem with a wrinkled neck. Now I do. It was funnier back then but I don't stress about it. I figure the signs of age will be worse soon. The only way to avoid it is to die now. I'm not doing that willingly!
charlene - yes it was way funnier back then. :-)
I remember that commerical! I also remember my mom buying that brand of dish soap believing the hipe of touch on dishes soft on hands. We won't talk about how us kids were the ones doing the bulk of the dishes...
As for my neck, it is what it is. I've seen way too many bad face and neck lifts that look so tight the person can't move. I like movement even if my neck looks like a turkey wobble.
I hate blogger, don't know if my comment got to you, so I'll check in later to see if you got it. If not, I'll try to remember the wonderful comment I wrote. Another problem with old age ;o)
Mamma - I got it. Welcome to the turkey neck club. :-)
I just listened to an audio book called "The Four Ms. Bradwells". Right in the beginning and several times through out the book they refer to their aging necks. Kind of funny that you bring that up.
I remember the Palmolive commercials. I think they must have ran them in the early 80's too. I can see the change in my hands already and I'm only 37.
Mom Taxi Julie - Kind of funny my ass Julie!
You just wait – you young ‘en.
I just wish it was only my neck I was unhappy with! I hate the whole package.
Ms A - oh hell ya I'm with you. I'm just bitching about this new found aging neck thing.
My eyes are droopier than before, My ass is apparently tired and leaning on my thighs. I can tuck my tits into my waistband. But hey, my hip is in place now. Dear Lord that sentence is sad. I hear a bottle of tanqueray in my near future.
Rick is not looking at your neck. He's looking at that cool newly coated CHAIR!!!!
Oh my God Mike that made me laugh -not where i thought you were going with that comment. (he's normally staring at my boobs like he's never seen 'em before)
My neck is okay, but not long ago my granddaughter asked me who stole all my hair in the back. Sigh.
Bilbo - ah but that is cute. My hubby asked who the bald guy was sitting next to this woman at a wedding - it was him. Apparently he never believed me when I said he was losing his hair back there!
*sigh* Lately I have been looking at my neck and thinking, "Yeah love, you're past it now!" My whole decolletage is woeful. Now I wish I had've put more sunscreen on when I was younger. Oh well. Too late now. Pour another glass of wine and keep on laughing! :)
Leisa - yes the decolletage is a bit woeful here too but not like the ole neck. I too never used sunscreen until I was an adult. Silly me!
wobbly neck is something i fear. can it be prevented? im always slapping moisturizer on it hoping to keep my neck smooth. its hopeless though isnt it?
also, i read that book too and loved it.
Tammie - I'm sure it's genetic or something. But I didn't do enough moisturizer when I was young. Who knows. I don't like it and I may start investing in turtle necks.
I know all these are going to happen but seriously I am surprised each time another thing falls. Rick laughs and just goes with it. I wish I could be more like that. If I wasn't dieting I'd be drinking!
A good firming cream? I so understand you darling :D
hang in there - eat with only small spoons so you won't be able to see your neck reflection in the spoon ;-) I actually like my neck more than my hands, which have large bulging veins <--- dang it, now I'm writing like Rep. Weiner :D
Blogger deleted my comment WTH??
I said....I remember Madge and her Palmolive gig.
Necks are the first thing to go all old on us so thank god for turtle necks and long hair.
Just a lil something funny my security word for your page is PEGadint.
PS- while I'm typing this that Lady came by.....still the same. Yuck!
OMG, you are HILARIOUS!! You know, I used to always wonder why aging stars like Diane Keaton wore turtlenecks, or why Candace Bergen always wore several pearled chokers during her Boston Legal days. Now, I TOTALLY get it! My neck is HIDEOUS!!
You're right, it's absolutely exhausting! I prescribe lots and lots of cocktails...STAT!!!
Post a Comment