Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Starbucks and Annoying People.....but not at the same place.

Remember when I told you all that we would be renting our lake house?
Well all that means is more annoying people in my life. Like work isn't bad enough right?

It clearly states that this home sleeps 6. Can you get more? Sure. But legally the county doesn't permit it so I have to abide. Would I let 1 more kid in ? Sure if my neighbors weren't counting and running to tell on us. So I follow the rules.

There is a calendar on the link at http://www.homeaway.com/.
The calendar is full. Yet I have people who call and ask if this week or that week is open.
I kind of get that, they may think I don't update the calendar. So I will give them a break there. But then they tell me they have 15 people - 7 of which are children.
I asked this man if he actually viewed the photo's and read the discriptions.
He said he had. (No, you didn't buddy or else you are just dumb.)
But of course I did not say that.  I repeated that the house only sleeps 6.
He told me, "But we do not care if some are on the floor."  
(what kind of vacation is that - sleeping on the floor?)

"You see Mr. X the county does and I could get fined $500 and up. My neighbors watch over this intently because we are the only rental. I can not get away with anything. May I suggest you try the hotel if you can't find a house big enough."

"Oh I can find a house big enough but it's too expensive."

So if 8 adults can't afford to pay for this perhaps they need to look at camping or another vacation option. Seriously. He was very rude but I think it may have been a cultural thing more than anything.  People are just idiots.

Did I tell you all that I got a job at Starbucks? Has senility set in?
This winter I applied when business was slow for some extra income. Nada.
Then I get called in last month for interviews.
Oh they did personality tests, and all kinds of weird ass testing.
It was all so odd. 
The manager was only 27.
She had no clue how to interview and it was so damn uncomfortable.
She kept saying, "well"....and then dead air.
She'd look at notes and she was all over the place.
I actually felt badly for her.
So I asked questions and got things rolling for her.
I even asked things I knew the answer to just to get her going.
She'd say, "Oh I'm glad you brought that up I have to ask you......."
That kind of thing.

Then I had a 2nd interview.
That was with the shift manager to see if I would "fit in" their culture.
All the while I was telling them that I would be going to my hometown and that there were a couple of weekends I couldn't work this summer. They kept telling me I could start in September then. So I continued the process.

I got called to say I got the job. They wanted me to start in a couple of days.
HUH? What happened to September?

I said I would be happy to but I wanted to repeat that I can't work a few weekends and told them why. I am okay with it if you are. I don't want to start and then ask for the time off and have any issues or to leave anyone high and dry.

The manager says, "Oh I forgot"
She said she would get back to me.
I thought I blew it but she did call back and said that I was probably right, it would be difficult for others if I was taking 3 weekends off. Would I like to start after labor day.
(duh! that is what you originally told me)
So of course I said, "I would love to!"

Hopefully there will be an opening in September like she thinks there will be.
This manager was a twit. The shift manager was awesome and normal and she made a remark that made me laugh when she and I were talking and it was about the manager.
I wish I could remember how she said it because it was so diplomatic yet biting and I sure as hell understood what she was talking about even with my short time dealing with the manager.  Seriously I could do a better job and I have never worked there. Hell anyone could do a better job. But she's young and it's great to see that you can learn on the job.

I do want to share with you my favorite question that she asked me.
"At Starbucks we do not allow facial piercings to show. Will that be a problem for you?"

She was reading off her list of questions from a book. I had to do everything I could not to laugh out loud. I just said, "No, that will not be an issue for me."

Yep a 50 something with a nose ring, lip ring and an eye brow piercing.
Yeah, that's a good look for me.

17 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm glad you got the job!!! I hope it works out come September.

Charlene said...

I have never been in, nor drive through a Starbucks drive through. There's even a Starbucks in the middle of the mall where I walk and the scent of brewing coffee is torture, but I can't do it.

Too expensive; hate their "culture" and prefer to patronize locally owned shops or McDonald's. I almost always make coffee at home, put it in a to-go cup and drink that.

If you were working in a local Louisville KY Starbucks though, I'd have to come by and say hello! Good luck.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Charlene - hey thanks! I don't fit their culture but it's 20 hrs and medical benefits. When hubby and i lost our jobs we lost benefits. It's been a nightmare with trying to get insurance

mamahasspoken said...

I don't like Starbucks coffee either. I know it's unheard of since I am a 2 cup a day coffee drinker.
As for the idots who are calling you, I think they are hoping you will let them do it this one time on the pretense that it doesn't hurt to call. Maybe you ought to put in BIG BLACK LETTERS across each picture that only 6 people including kids are allowed. I'm sure you'll still get calls, but then you can for sure say,
"Can't you read?"

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mamma - I don't like the coffee because to me it's too bitter. But I do have it from time to time.

I wish I could say that. I always think - perspective customer - and I don't say what I am thinking.
but boy would that have been fun. This guy I wrote about didn't speak great english either so there would have been that issue as well.

Mike said...

Working at Starbucks should make the condo thing seem easy.

regan said...

Peg....Congrats on the job! And I'm so glad to hear you think Starbucks coffee is bitter. I think it tastes burned! It's so harsh! My favorite phrase is that 'it takes the enamel right off my teeth! lol Coffee is supposed to be a pleasant experience, not a donkey kick in the head!

I do love the chocolate coffee beans, though.....because they are burned so much, they shatter when you bite them.....a burst of crazy flavor! Yum But don't eat the whole bag, cuz you'll be up for 3 days straight! Guess how I know!?! lol

Ms. A said...

It wouldn't matter what you printed, they will still try to get more people. What's bad is when they tell you they have 6 and show up with MANY more, anyway.

Good luck with the job! Anything with benefits is worth its weight in gold! You'll be running the place, in no time.

Bilbo said...

Like many others, I don't care much for Starbucks coffee, which is too acid for my taste. The question about facial piercings is a classic. Someday over drinks at a bloggers' get-together, I will tell you an amazing (yet *clean* and absolutely true) story about a young lady with multiple piercings ... and a broken fly.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bilbo - okay that is funny. she couldn't use one of those piercings to close her fly? :-)

Bilbo said...

Actually, it was *my* fly...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bilbo - I can't wait to hear this one!

Anonymous said...

im so excited you got the job. good for you! (im still looking. its exhausting and takes a lot out of me. i need to blog about some of my job hunting experiences, for sure.)

btw: i know i havent been commenting much lately, but i've been here reading you still. i didnt want you to think i took off. ;)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - well the job isn't until Sept. so we'll see.

Yes - I would love to hear these experiences on the job front!

yes, i thought you left me
glad ur still around. :-)

Carma Sez said...

OMG - you need to stop on over and read my Starbucks posts. I wasn't sure if you were kidding about your Starbucks application. Oh, and I got my nose pierced. Please go easy in the comments section ;-) Looks like if I do get the job I'll have to take it out :-( Not that I'll get it any way as I can't seem to snag an interview. Honestly I'd rather take more college classes and skip it all together

Jessie at LunaPacifica said...

I worked at Starbucks for years! I loved it. Everyone was nice, and the work was fast paced. Everything is micro managed, so it's hard to screw anything up.

Words of wisdom: I got tired of having to put on the "I'm a happy, bubbly barista at Starbucks" face. Oh well.

Congrats!
Can I rent your house for two weeks for 40 people?

Julie H said...

I think it will be a great job. Maybe in Sept some of their younger employees schedules will change for them to go to school.

Most of the people I work with are younger, with me being the oldest in the "cave" area where I work in. Closest to me is 5 years younger and they act like I'm ancient.