Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Morning Radio with Howard Stern & Billy Joel

My huband has sirius radio in his work vehicle.
He listens to Howard Stern.
I find this my husbands only flaw.

But today he called me in my office to tell me to turn on Howard.
Before I could say anything he said, "Billy Joel is on playing songs on the piano all morning"
Okay that will make me turn on Howard Stern.
It felt wrong to turn on Howard.  It starts out fine but it ends up in an ugly place and I end up changing the channel and asking my husband, "what the hell is wrong with you?"
But c'mon it's Billy I had to turn the dial.
"Bless me father for I have sinned"
So I turned on Howard.  I'll shower later.

In the mean time I am happy as hell sitting at my desk listening to my man.
I have always loved Billy Joel.  Oh how I love Billy Joel.
I played his Piano Man album so much in the 70's that my hubby begged me to take it off the turntable and play something else.  ANYTHING else.
To you young folks, a turntable is something that was what we had to play our "records" on.
Not just to scratch them for hip hop....but to listen to them.

I have every album he has ever made including his greatest hits.
Okay Uptown Girl is lame but he's entitled to a few lemons.

Those friends of mine who know my love of Billy always ask, "What is your favorite song?"
I can't name one.  I just can't.  I think NY State of Mind, then I hear Shamless.  I think Shameless then I hear Honesty.  Too difficult.  Saw him in concert once and it is burned in my memory for some reason.  Still can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday but I can remember what I was wearing, what he was wearing, the conversation in between songs and who I went with and it was 1983!  Go figure that one. 

The crew on Howard Stern were asking about songs. 
How he wrote them, who they were about or what they were about, things like that.  Fascinating stuff if you love him like I do.
They had a baby grand in studio and had him playing and singing things off the cuff and songs they requested.  Songs he says he wrote for others were interesting stories.
He wrote a song in mind for Sting.  And after he plays it the way he thought Sting could do it - you "heard" how great this would have been for Sting.  But he needed a few more songs for his album and he ended up using it and it became a hit.

So for MY Tuesday pleasure I present you with Billy Joel songs.



C'mon you knew I'd pick this one.



I know most are thinking - who is this old dude? 

13 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love billy joel!!! I even went to see the broadway show that featured his music!! he's the best, even though he's a little crazy now.

Raquel's World said...

Funny...My fav Billy Joel song IS Uptown Girl.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Raquel - I don't hate Uptown Girl, it's just not a favorite :-)

I do think those snotty uptown moms may enjoy it. they would miss the joke - over their empty little heads!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carolyn,
The Twyla Tharp one? Oh I would have loved to have seen that.
Lucky shit!

Anonymous said...

i love this, the whole post totally made me laugh.

i had a friend in high school who was a musician and billy joel was his idol. he was obsessed with him. he even went to a concert and took a picture of billy from way up in his seat in the nosebleed section, and carried the pic around in his wallet.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - I didn't get any pictures while at the concert but even if I did I don't think they would have been in my wallet. Even for me, that is too far. :-)
Honestly it made my shitty morning oh so much better!!

alessandra said...

I truly feel the love in your words, I'm not a big fan of him, but I appreciate most of his songs.
Honesty is my fav.
Now I have to google this Howard Stern because I have no idea of who he is, and why you despise him so much ;)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Alessandra - i do not hate Howard Stern. Outside of his job I like him. I like his politics. I like his philanthropy. I liked his movie and books. However he goes to far for me a lot of times. Since you are in Italy I will give you an example. He talks about sex all the time. He interviews famous people and always brings it back to sex. And waaaay over the line type questioning. I am not a prude. I have my mind in the gutter most of the time so for him to be over the line to me you know it's bad. Even my husband will tell me that there are times he has to turn him off because it becomes too much for him. That bad.

alessandra said...

Okay, thank you for explaining to me, now I know something new ;)

Unknown said...

Please don't hit me...but I was born the same year you went to that concert.

:-P

Carma Sez said...

Love Billy Joel too. I'm partial to "Only the Good Die Young"

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carma - that's because "we Catholic girls start much too late"

Julie H said...

How funny! I was listening to "oldies" on Pandora recently and there was a Billy Joel song and I was thinking it's sad that you don't hear any new songs from him.