Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Be Warned - I am fired up today.

I am going to vent. Big time vent.
You have been warned!

Right now all over our local news is this pay freeze for 2 yrs for the federal employees here in DC and around the rest of the nation where federal employees may work.

I am so tired of seeing these people on the news whine and moan about not being able to get a raise. Hello? Have you heard about this recession? Have you not heard that there are thousands of people who have lost their jobs? They would gladly be in your position.

There was a man in his expensive suit standing in front of his big BMW
Oh no, not the cute little one like the 328i.
But the 750i that ranges in price from 82,500-89,400 base price and goes way up from there.
(I know this only because everyone around here drives one so I have looked this up- I drive an old 2007 Highlander.)

So this man on TV in his nice suit standing in front of his nice car is whining that he will not get a raise this year or next. . If he can afford this car he must be making some serious cash. He has a GREAT pension, medical and a job. A JOB. I know a lot of men and women who would just like to make a year what his car costs. Let’s say he makes $100,000. This year his raise was $1900.00. He makes more than that now in one week. It's probably a car payment. So over 52 weeks that comes to $36.54 a pay. That doesn’t even put gas in his fat car if my math is correct. That isn’t going to make him or break him. This next year it would only be 0.9% if it follows the 1990 law. That is mere pittance to this guy. So his whining just really fries my ass.

How many people watching this newscast are unemployed and would love to be in his shoes?
Then this woman was going on and on about taking a federal job for job security and annual raises etc. Really?
She had the same self entitled attitude that makes me want to slap themhard!

The average income (not household but singular) where I live has been reported to be 109,000. Now to some that is a lot. To others that is not much. But in a recession I think if you have a job making 109K or 30K you sure as hell should just be thanking your lucky stars you have a job, can buy groceries and keep a roof over your head. PERIOD.

C’mon let’s think big picture for minute. This took us 8 long painful years to get to this mess from our own greediness and letting those in control do things while we passively sat and turned our heads. Do you think it’s going to change overnight? Hell no. Do you think it will ever change when the powers that be only fight for their agenda’s and not ours? Hell no.

There are countries going bankrupt all over Europe. Spain, Greece, Ireland, and Portugal. Iceland as well. This makes the Euro dwindle.
Now that affects our stock market and not in a good way. Things will probably not get better soon.
We are in melt down mode and people are whining that they aren’t getting their raises.
Whine when you can’t feed your kids, when you’ve lost your job, when you lose your home, when you can’t pay for health insurance. That allows you to whine a bit.

A friend pointed out to me that these people have contracts.
Who doesn’t that loses a job? I had one too and I lost my job.
Trust me they can find a legal way out of that contract each and every time.
I have seen it done several times in corporate America.

How about all those union airline employees who had to not only not receive raises that were stated in their contracts but they had to take pay CUTS.
They lost benefits. Having worked in the travel industry I have seen that time and time again. The airlines were always bailed out and the people who do all the work never got bailed out. The CEO’s got money from the government to restructure but when they were solid again the employees NEVER got their money or benefits back. Oh but the CEO and his cronies got their huge bonuses. 

I have a friend who worked for an airline who lost 35% of his pay over the years, benefits cut in half and they never ever made it up to him in anyway other than having a job.
That was 15 yrs ago. But he was thankful to have been able to keep the job he loved. So he believed them when they said they would make it right. He never whined. He wanted to do his share to help his company. They never did make it right.
Suck on that whiny federal employee. Think about someone other than yourself for a minute.

I want to tell that man whining on my tv to stop your bitching because those around you are hurting. You’d know that if you left your self consumed little world for a minute.
If you are so miserable give someone else your lousy job where you work less than the average American and get paid more than the average American.

There is a woman who owns a small company in Florida. Her company was feeling the recession and she realized that she had to begin layoffs to keep her company afloat. She instead fired herself. She couldn’t bear to lay any of her employees off because as she said, "My employees are the most trusted," she said. "They've been here for years. They've been loyal. They've been dedicated. It was just the right thing to do in my opinion"

This woman did not whine. She did not make promises she couldn’t keep.
Her employees are running her business and keeping it going and all can still feed their families. In the mean time this woman took a lower paying job as a social worker.
She is surprised at the passion she has found at this new job and truly feels that this being able to be done is a blessing. Imagine that, no whining but working hard and making a solution. I wish others could be this way. All working together for the big picture.

Instead we have whiny self entitlement issue plaguing our country.
That is what got us into this mess. When will we learn?.

Now to those of you who don’t agree with me. Oh well.
Don’t write me comments to try to change my mind.
This is my blog and my forum to vent. I did.
If you don’t agree – plesase just disagree on your own blog.

Back to the normal tone tomorrow.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was wondering if there was a lot about this on the news where you were.

frankly, i hate it when anyone whines about not getting a raise. a raise is NEVER guaranteed.

hang in there. try not to shoot your neighbors. :)

alessandra said...

How could anyone possibly not agree with what you said? It's the truth.

R.H. Ducky said...

I love this post! I work for my family company, and things are tight for us right now. There are weeks when my brother and I don't take paychecks to try to stretch money and be able to pay other employees. Without them there wouldn't be a company. We all have to make sacrifices to make things work. I agree with you wholeheartedly, the whiners are sickening!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ducky - so damn good to see you here again! I am living the same story as you and your brother right now.

we must catch up soon.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Alessandra - thanks for the support.

Tammie - I can't promise you that I would bitch slap the next wench who tells me that she isn't getting her raise while she holds her prada purse and drives her shiny new mercedes.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

I love that you've researched BMW brands - when one of my best friends moved to DC she used to play a "spot the BMW" game and somehow they always made up half of the cars she'd see!

Raquel's World said...

I'm gonna comment first, before I even read this, I am so excited that you are fired up. About what? Well I'll find out in a minute but I'm sure I'm gonna love it!

Raquel's World said...

AMEN SISTA!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Raquel you crack me up!!!!

Megan - thanks for stopping by. Your friend is correct the cars here are out of this world. I slum it in a Toyota Highlander.

Yankee Girl said...

I agree with you 100%.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yankee Girl - thank you! I would just like that guys pension. Jeez. my company pension was taken away!

Jenny said...

You are so right - I know sooooooo many people that would give anything for a job to feed their family and pay their rent/mortgage let alone buy a nice, shiny BMW!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jenny - you're correct....including me!
Thanks for stopping by.

Carma Sez said...

a relative who works in that area for the gov't said on FB that it is true they are paid well but that the living expenses there are very high (so I guess that justifies it) because you know the living expenses are not high anywhere else ;-)

Carma Sez said...

Oh, and my former boss drive one of those BMW's - I believe the price she mentioned over and over to me for 3 years straight was that it cost her $86,000. I have literally never owned a car that cost more than $20K and I don't think I ever want to.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carma -Having lived in so many cities in so many states I can honestly tell you the cost of homes here are way higher than anywhere I have lived with the exception of San Diego. They are also very poorly made vs. anywhere I have ever lived.

Everything else is the same here or lower than anywhere I have lived. Food, gas, utilities, taxes, insurance etc are the same or lower in fact than when I lived in Seattle, Ohio or Pennsylvania. So what he is saying is utter bullshit!

Housing is the big expense here. But those who work at McDonalds also don't make $6.00/hr they make 10-12.00. So this is just another person who thinks they are entilted to a raise versus being thankful for having a job. The rest of the world is not entitled to a raise or entitled to anything in life. Why are they in gov't so damn special? And using his theory should those who are federal employees who live in other cities feel better about not getting a raise because they don't live here? You can slap this man for me.

Can you tell this fires me up?

Unknown said...

My mother in law called my hubby the other day and was saying how sorry she felt for all the people working for the feds not getting raises and my hubby was just as fired up as you are. I just don't understand why people can't be grateful for what they actually have and stop being so darn self-important - always requiring more.