Saturday, February 20, 2010

Monday Morning Quarterback…..sort of

While I know everyone is sick of hearing about Tiger Wood’s indiscretions I have a few thoughts I wanted to share. You see last evening the couple next door came over and everyone had an opinion and boy mine was so far off everyone else’s. Now that doesn’t surprise me I always seem to be odd man out. But I would love to hear the female bloggers out there – okay men too but not sure any read me – and what your take was on his so called press conference.

First of all I don’t get why he felt the need to do it. Sure I get the PR machine and some type of acknowledgement makes people happy to a degree. But he had to know that 50% of the people would think he was full of shit and this was written for him and the other 50% would give him the benefit of the doubt and want to believe him.

Last evening one person who shall be named J. for this little story said, “That he didn’t look sorry enough or filled with emotion….just robotic.”
Okay would it have been better if he cried? Then you would have said, “Jeez man get it together or worse, how fake is that?”

I too thought he looked a bit robotic but more like a deer in the headlights. You could tell he didn’t want to be doing this but honestly I don’t have a lot of sympathy for him in that regard. This man has made a living being stoic, calm under pressure, and focused. I felt the way he stood there and held onto the podium that he was attempting the same thing here. He doesn’t cry during the masters tournament so I am not sure why anyone expected that here.

The other gal there last evening with me was oh so not forgiving. It was like he had done this to her. She was worked up. She wanted to hurt him physically, financially, and emotionally. She didn’t believe a word of any of it and she felt he would be cheating again in a heartbeat if his wife takes him back. She a Lorraine Bobbit scenario. Ouch.

I too think he is a scum bucket but I don’t care to hurt him. I felt that when he did speak of his wife and children as well as his family that is when he showed real emotion. Not looking at his notes but speaking from his heart. His voice and body language changed. He moved his hands off the podium. That spoke volumes to me and it made me believe it when he spoke of his family.

Look I don’t think this guy is an actor. I don’t think this guy is a saint. I do think he was a shithead and should never have gotten married in the first place. Period. End of story. And I wouldn’t want to be his wife for anything in the world. The pain he has given her would break my heart. I am thankful I don’t have to deal with such an issue.

The other thing that stood out to me, actually jumped out at me was when he said he was a Buddhist. In this country if you say you are anything other than a Christian the majority of the people go ape shit mad. I would imagine the reason he never mentioned it before was just for that reason. That shocked me, really shocked me. But that also made me proud of him. I believe strongly that you should have the right to believe in anything you want. If you pray to a goat well then good for you and if you get what you need from that goat even better. It’s no ones business what you choose to believe in. I think Americans can be so narrow minded on this topic. We were founded for religious freedom. We should be allowed to practice what we want when we want and not have to be pressured to be like the others or to have to “come over to the other side” Generally if you think a bit differently than the majority you are labeled a bad person.

Tiger stating he was Buddhist was the most open I think he has ever been since he’s been in the public eye. He never shares anything about himself or his life. That to me showed me his words and not his PR firms words…..but no one agreed with me on that either last night. Oh they did on everything but the PR firm part.

I don’t know if he is sorry. I don’t know if he is sorrier he got caught or that he actually hurt so many people or all of the above. But I loved that he said he will not discuss the events involving Elin and himself. I loved that he admitted his affairs but would not discuss them with media or anyone outside of his family and therapy. I loved how he got so emotional when speaking about his wife and kids.

I feel badly for Elin and the kids but mostly Elin. Thankfully the kids are too young to really know what Dad did but they will learn soon enough thanks to other children telling them and the internet. How awful is that? Can you imagine learning about your dad and mom’s personal life when you were 7 or 8? Damn that is tough.

Last night everyone had an opinion about Elin leaving him. I don’t care what she does. It’s not my life. As long as she does what she feels is best for her why the hell do we care? I must admit though, I was thrilled not to see her standing by his side for some strange reason like political wives tend to do. Her not being there doesn’t mean she won’t work it out it just meant to me that she’s private e and this is his issue to speak to his colleagues, friends and business partners not hers. I didn’t just see it as she won’t be taking him back.


I don’t watch golf. I don’t much care about most of this but last night everyone was in a tizzy about his speech. So I wondered what you all thought?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh gosh peggy. ive been wanting to talk about tiger with someone so excuse that im about to rant here.

first off, ive always hated tiger. ive always thought he was the least humble athlete ive ever seen, and thats saying a lot since in my opinion most athletes are giant assholes. he's always had a false sense of entitlement and an appearance that he thought the rules of society dont apply to him. when all of his indiscretions(ahem) came out, it just confirmed my feeling. what he did wasnt about sex. it was about power. he did what he did because he had the power to do so and i think his selfishness was appalling. this wasnt just one woman, but many over time. just thinking about the amount of time and skill it took to keep all of these women (and their abortions) hidden from his wife, disgusts me.

secondly, i just dont think hes changed. i really think that the whole press conference yesterday was a sham. from the fact that no questions would be answered to the fact that the press members in attendance were hand picked by tiger and his people. i found it all nauseating. he still thinks he can make his own rules and do whatever he wants. i truly feel like if he wanted to own up to what he did, he would have taken questions.

i dont feel like he owed the public an apology and i do feel the press should leave his family alone. but if he TRULY, IN HIS HEART, wants this all to remain private, then dont even have a press conference in the first place!

i feel like yesterday was just another photo op for him. he knows he eventually wants to get back to golf, and in order to do so, he needs to appear remorseful.

im standing by the opinion that tiger isnt sorry for what he did, hes sorry he got caught.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

well i get an agree with most of everything you said. The press conference though to me was because every kept asking for it and I would lay down money on the fact that he was told to do it. He admited the affairs but I don't think the questions would have been about that. I think they would have gotten specific and like he said that is between he and Elin and honestly I agree with that. We've heard enough of that shit. If my husband did that and there were the rumors I would not want him to address them publicly at all. So that part I really understood. I just didn't think he should listen to his PR team. The whole thing was unncessary to me. If these were his colleagues, friends, some family and his endorsement deal folks then do it in front of all of them in a private way. Not on television. We all don't need to know all this shit.

I'm glad you responded because I think most are so sick of it. I find it a very interesting example of our world today.

Were we better off when we didn't know that our presidents (kennedy) was fooling around? Was it better that we didn't know that Micky Mantle and Babe Ruth were drunken womanizers? sometimes I think it was.

Like he said yesterday he felt entitled. Like Michael Jordan who had a slew of children but somehow most of that was kept quiet.

Celebrities, athletes and rock stars all think they don't have to live by the same rules.

And what kind of woman beds them all? Talk about low self esteem.

Anonymous said...

i agree that i dont really want or care to know the details of tigers life, but i just HATE the idea of these controlled press conferences. they remind me so much of george w bush press conferences, where only certain things could be talked about.

and i agree, he shouldnt even be thinking about PR right now. if he wants to fix his marriage and repair his family life, he should really just be focusing on that and only that.

and i agree with you that we are all better off not knowing. honestly, i just dont care to know.

and yeah, the women that sleep with these men are just shameful. have some fucking self respect. tiger woods treated the women he had affairs with like objects and they allowed for it to happen. it makes me want to barf.

sorry, this whole topic really gets me worked up.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Don't be sorry - that's what I saw last night. Every person in the room came at this differently and it was interesting to me. But yet we all basically agreed.

did the whole buddhist thing stand out to you? I know it's probably more bs but i found it interesting that he even mentioned it because like I said he never ever used to talk about himself except as a golfer period.

and personally i do not think his wife will stay with him. but that's just my opinion.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

BTW - great analogy re: conference and George W. excellent!

Anonymous said...

i thought the buddhist thing was strange. i dont know whether to believe it or not but i do think it was interesting of him to say it. he definitely risks alienating himself from some of his more closed minded fans, so im inclined to believe that he is in some way involved with the buddhist faith. albeit in a lapsed way.....

i really really hope his wife leaves him. i just dont see how their marriage could be repaired. to me its not so much about the sex as it is the fact that hes lied to her for so long now. hes hidden a huge part of himself from her. how can she even claim to really know who he is?

Jessie said...

I give a shit about him. Been avoiding it.

Love ;-)
JEM