Tuesday, February 23, 2010

While the dog is sleeping.....

I have just a few thoughts going through my head today.
So here I go a ramblin’….

TV – I love TV and people give me a lot of shit about it. And no I don’t just watch PBS.
This year with business being slower than ever before we have had to make our own entertainment and TV has been a big part of that. Last night was the season finale of one of my new favorite shows, Men of a Certain Age. Since I am a Woman of a Certain Age I so understand and feel this show. Everyone is aware, or maybe I should say, I was always aware of the stages or so I thought. But after the mommy stage and or middle of your career stage what are ya’ll expecting? Do you think about it? Because I see my friends in that one and it’s making their heads spin. I didn’t have the mommy stage but it doesn’t mean this phase is any better or my head is spinning any less than theirs.

It’s an odd phase. Not yet an old coot wearing my pants up to my chest or my hair is blue. But at a stage where you are really struggling with where you are, where you thought you’d be& what is next? The most powerful one for me was the realization that there is more life behind me now than in front of me Sigh. Still coming to terms with it all but trying to embrace it and love it. And no one talks about this except in terms of, “Oh his midlife crisis” type of thing. So watching this show really brings it home for me. It just happens to be men and not women. Which of course makes my husband love the show all the more. It’s from his perspective for a change as he likes to say.

I love each character and can relate to them all in some way. If you get a chance to see season one on DVD I highly recommend this. It’s poignant, well acted and sometimes very funny. Not a comedy though. Andre Braugher makes me howl.
I have never seen him in a role like this and it’s refreshing.

News – This info was on the 6 o’clock local news. Here is what was reported.
The number of people aged 50 and older reporting marijuana use in the prior year went up from 1.9% to 2.9% from 2002 to 2008 according to surveys from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
The rise was most dramatic among 55- 59 yr olds, whose reported marijuana use more than tripled from 1.6% in 2002 to 5.1% now
Observers expect further increases as 78 million boomers born between 1945 and 1964 age. For many boomers, the drug never held the stigma it did for previous generations, and they tried it decades ago.
Some have used it ever since, while others are revisiting the habit in retirement, either for recreation or as a way to cope with the aches and pains of aging.

I don’t know why but this cracks me up. It would have been a pleasure to visit my grandmother in her retirement home firing up a joint and laughing with her friends. Everyone there seemed to be just sitting and waiting on death to arrive. I think the answer is somewhere in the middle honestly but retirees firing up a pipe does make me laugh. 
How juvenile of me.

Weather -

It finally seems to have stopped snowing here in the mid-atlantic.
It rained yesterday and now we have dirty snow and puddles and mud. I think I am going to get some type of wellies or something similiar to walk the dog in. I am ruining all my shoes in this mud. And my boots never got my feet wet in 3 feet of snow but yet they get completely wet in puddles of water. I am not sure I understand that.

I am thrilled with the rain because it melts the snow and means spring. 
But Izzy is going to miss the snow.  While she’ll be thrilled to find her place to poop again overall she is loving this white stuff.

Underneath this umbrella  sit 2 chaise lounge chairs which she is not allowed to sit or climb on. So she thinks she is pretty cool standing above them here.
And now she's awake and that means another walk.
Thanks for stopping by.


5 comments:

Gal Friday said...

What a beauty of a Choc. Lab !

I have heard of that show(Men Of A Certain Age) but have not watched it, yet(it's Idol, Malcolm In The Middle, The Daily Show and Glee on in this house). I remember Andre B. from a show--Homicide--that was on in the 90's. Loved him in that.

Gal Friday said...

How the hell does anyone afford marijuana(or ciggies, for that matter?) any more???? I like cheap wine, myself.... ;-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh that is so funny you say that about the pot and old people affording it. That is exactly what my hubby said!!! I just found it fascinating that all these older people are using it for aches and pains. Rick suggested we may want to start thinking about that.

Thanks for the compliment on Izzy. Of course being her human mom I think she is absolutely beautiful. And she has a very sweet desposition....mellow and loving. First dog and I can't imagine a better one.

And except for malcom I watch all those shows you mentioned as well.Men of a Certain age is not for kiddies - I believe it's rated MA. Hence why it's on cable. Not a lot of swearing or anything just adult topics. Great Show about people in their 40's and early 50's.

Anonymous said...

ive been wanting to watch men of a certain age but have yet to get around to it. and i have to comment on gal fridays comment. i remember andre braugher (sp?) from homicide also. god i loved that show and loved him. i think i was 18 or 19 when it was originally on and i had the biggest crush on him. i still think hes one of the best actors around.

im at a weird stage in my life too, where im really starting to notice that im no longer the youngest one in a room. i dont really mind aging, in fact the older i get, the more comfortable i feel in my own skin. but, its still sort of alarming to see so many folks younger than i am. the other day i was flicking through the channels and i saw a video clip by one of my favorite bands at the moment. i swear to god, they looked like babies. im not sure, but i think i could be the lead singers mom. when did this happen?!?!?!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I remember when the paper boy first called me Mrs So & So. I was horrified that was Rick's mother not me. I was 34. Then I remember when the bagger at the grocery store called me ma'am. Oh my God that sounded awful to me. I think I was 37.

Hubby and I are surrounded by younger people all of whom we enjoy. Very few couples our age appeal to us. So that means we are extrememly immature or pathetic. But we find we have more in common with those younger than us. But it will rear it's ugly head and hit us in the face and then we go - WOW. We are friends with 2 couples closer in age. That is it. We are not anywhere near a rocking chair, just sitting for hours, talking about metamucil, grandchildren and early bird specials. Close but not there yet.....tee hee
C'mon does Alec seem old? Does Sting,ellen degeneres, Madonna, Michelle Pfeiffer? When these folks were on AARP magazine I have to admit I was thrilled .... couldn't see it without my bifocals but I was thrilled. :-)