Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mommies and Me

I have come to realize there are really only 2 kinds of women.

Those that are mommies .......








and those that are not.....like me.













After my mom died I had to do all the motherly things for my sister.
My father is old school Italian American. That meant I am the oldest female in the house therefore it was now my job to do everything that my mother did for everyone. Didn’t matter that I was 13. It didn’t kill me but I didn’t love it either. But it made me independent rather early and it made me strong. And that ain’t a bad thing sister.

So I cleaned, did laundry, cooked and ironed and screwed things up and made my father crazy mad some days because things weren’t done “right” or dinner was late.

I had to help my sister with her homework, fix her hair and be sure I kept my grades up while doing it all.

So when my friends were dreaming of getting married and having babies I used to tell them this shit wasn’t fun. They longed for it. I wanted to run from it.

When my father remarried I was thrilled. I no longer had to do housework and care for everyone else’s needs. I wanted to be a selfish teenager. And man I got to. I loved my new step mom for taking all of that off my hands. I could do after school activities again and that was so wonderful to me. Cheerleading became my sanctuary. I didn’t have to rush home to cook, care for my sister etc. Whoopee, I get to be a kid again! My biggest worries now were making the squad, worrying about if Gary noticed me and straightening my already straight hair. Pure dribble and it was fantastic.

Then my step mom and dad had more kids. So I, being the oldest had to help with diapers etc.

I was the cheap babysitter as well. While I loved these new sisters I was not so thrilled with all this baby stuff like my friends were. The last one was born when I was 17 years old.

I wanted to go hang with my friends on a Saturday night but if my parents had plans there went mine out the window. I was the live in babysitter. Making faces at her and making her giggle, feeding her and bathing her and rocking her to sleep. While those memories now mean a lot to me I so wanted to run from that life.

So I used to dream of a career of travel in far away places and no kids. Well I soon got my wish. I worked in the travel industry. As I climbed the corporate ladder I traveled a great deal for work. I traveled even more for pleasure because I could travel for free or pretty damn cheaply.

While my friends were having children 1 of 2 things happened.
They either dropped me from their radar or they included me.
All but 2 of them stopped calling me or worse for me, never calling me back.
These 2 good friends included me in their lives no matter how different our lives were becoming. We always remained friends.

When included I loved being the great “aunt” who brought them fun things from different places. Who sent them postcards from places that they had never heard of or seen. I was the person who added spoons from around the world for her daughter’s collection. I could play for hours with play dough and make it into jewelry that tickled her daughters. I could make my friend’s son go into fits of giggles at how scared I got of his pig as it got bigger and bigger. I was the best with lego’s with another friend’s son. He would call me just to tell me what he built. We were city planning for heaven’s sake. It was fabulous and I loved every one of them and spoiled them with love, imagination and of course things mom and dad wouldn’t let them have like ice cream one time for breakfast or cake late at night when they all should have been in bed. (hey that’s what an “aunt” is for!)

Some now are in their 20’s and we still email and keep in touch. They all know I am a soft place to fall. I am a refuge when needed and when sometimes family just won’t do. We share secrets and unless necessary never tell mom and dad. Sometimes mom and dad must know so I tell the kids that I have to tell but for some reason hearing it from me is easier than their parents.

I get that. And I love that role. I have the easy job, their parents have the tough job.

I have listened to a friend’s daughter and allowed her to run here. All the while keeping mom informed and that her daughter was safe and would see herself home that I’d be sure of it. It worked like a charm.

But most friends dropped me like a hot potato and I never understood why.
As I got older I noticed this ugly pattern continue to thrive.
I’d go to a party and begin chatting with the women and they would ask me if I had children. I would say no I don’t. Most would just turn their backs to me right immediately. Others would say, “oh I’m so sorry” like I wasn’t able to bear children and I would get a look of sympathy and before I could correct the assumption they had either walked away or turned their backs to me.
But all would never ever think to include me in their conversations or life.

I know the ages and what goes on and what to expect at each one. Remember I raised some sisters. I can talk about it and understand it and be sympathetic as well. I was there in the trenches for colic, feedings in the middle of the night, potty training, 1st days of school, homework, dance classes, cuts, bruises, and kisses to make it all better etc. I taught one to ride a bike and another to enjoy nature. I am the oldest of 5. I did it all. I can relate. Just because I choose not to have any of my own doesn’t mean I’m a virus.

It happened just the other day at a neighborhood (subdivisions) summer party. I was standing with all the mommy’s and they asked if Rick and I had children. I said that Rick has a daughter but she is 29 now so she doesn’t live with us. This woman turned her back to me and continued her conversation like I was no longer there. I felt silly just standing there while they circled the estrogen field. So I said, “Well, it was nice to meet you too” and walked over to the men. Don't think they even heard me or saw me leave.

The men let me jump right in. They were talking baseball and football. I know nothing of football and really don’t care to but I can hang with the boys when it comes to baseball. I felt more comfortable there. Then they went on to business. Again they didn’t poo-poo me but allowed me to be a part of their club and conversations. They even acted like they wanted to hear my answers when they asked me questions! Wow. Real conversation. Why can't my own gender do that with me?

Later I saw a few more mommy’s and tried again. I asked the ages of their kids & what schools they attended. They told me and I probed some more with activities etc. I asked if they were using the pool and going to family dive in movie night. Some didn’t know about dive in movie night. (Yea, and I’m the idiot with no kids) I explained the family dive in movie night and this woman listens to me tell her about how fun it is. (I took a visiting niece last year) And she immediately turned to her friends and began to tell them about this function with all this excitement and walked away from me. They did not ask me anything about me. It was all them all the time. I heard it all. I continued to ask and listen and tried to fit in. It didn’t work. The more women that arrived the more they all circled each other and left me out.

I don’t for the life of me get this. It really angers me. In the early 70’s didn’t we fight so we could have choices? Then why are some choices treated as though you are less of a woman? Yes, I am a feminist! OH NO....The horror!



I believe we are damn lucky there were radicals to fight for your right to have choices. My poor mother had no such opportunity. She would have loved a career but instead was told she was a woman and her choice was to be a wife and mother or an old maid. Nice choices there huh? If your choice is to be a mommy that doesn't make you better or worse. That was just YOUR CHOICE.

So to all you mommy’s who read me, THANK YOU !

To all the mommy’s out there who ignore we women who don’t have children – SNAP OUT OF IT.

We with no children are not contagious! We have a lot to offer in friendship and babysitting services. Ah ha! You never thought of that now did you?
Who better to babysit while you're out for an evening with your hubby?....or a weekend away?
A 16 yr old kid that you have to pay or a friend who would love every waking minute of it because she knows eventually they go home?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO! I LOVE THIS!

I fall somewhere in between the mommies and the non mommies, which also makes me sort of weird around other women. i get no respect from the feminists that i align myself with because im a stay at home mom, but im not the typical soccer mom either. my kids dont go from class to lesson to recital so the other moms look down at me for my lazy parenting.

i love my kids-but there is a reason i stopped at two.
i sacrifice a lot financially by not working and being an at home mom, but i wont sacrifice my sanity. i give a lot of myself to my kids throughout the day but when it gets tough i see nothing wrong with going in my room, shutting the door, and ignoring it all for a few minutes.

when im with other parents, i dont always want to talk about the kids. i get tired of feigning interest in the "cute" thing that someones kid said. sometimes i want to talk about books or politics or movies or how sudoko puzzles make NO SENSE to me! i dont want to be just a mom-i want to be more. all moms should want to be MORE.

i dont get excited over babies anymore-they dont impress me. the baby part of my life is over. im tired of being made to feel like a monster because no, i dont want to hold the baby.

ok. i guess i'll stop now. i realize this has turned into a bit of a rant but this post really struck a chord with me. i wish all women could look past the mommy thing and just relate as women---at least once in a while.

btw: my kids are packing now. they'll be at your place in a day or so. ;)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Your comment Tammie made me well up in tears. Thank you! Too bad we can't meet over some of those delicious desserts you are always making - I'll bring the wine, coffee, whatever!

Why are women so hard on one another? I am so much more than what I do for a living just like you are so much more than just a mom. We are all diamonds with many facets.

And btw, those mommies who think their kid has to be doing something every damn waking minute are crazy and i believe do it more for themselves than their children. Those are the kids who grow up and can't sit alone in a room and read, that have no imagination, that must always have stimulation via technology, tv, or getting into trouble. I applaud you for not having your kids over booked. Besides, kids should fit into your life you should not rearrange your life completely for them. know what i mean?

Thanks again Tammie - you made my day, hell my month!

tallulah said...

I always wanted a big family and adopted four kids and then had one more for kicks. Tammie was smart to stop at two. I gave up my sanity.

Coming from a different perspective, I think women (especially stay-at-home Mom's)are so inundated 24/7 with kids/babies/diapers/discipline/cooking/cleaning etc. they really don't have much to talk about other than their kids and sometimes mundane lives.

I think every woman has the right to choose and more women should make the choice that you did Peggy. Not every woman is cut out to be a Mom. It's ingrained in us by the time we are 6. Grow up, look like Barbie, marry Ken in a princess wedding and have little baby Barbies.

The last thing I want to talk about at a party is my kids. Their cute and all...but I have a life outside of them and have political views and hobbies and interests that don't involve them. That's how it should be.

Anonymous said...

such an interesting discussion you've started.

i love tallulahs comment and agree with it wholeheartedly. i know after i had my fist child, i was the woman who always talked about her kid, because it was my life. it was all i knew. within two years i was utterly depressed and feeling as if i was losing myself. by the time my son turned five, i knew i had to make some changes. i got back in touch with old friends, took up some hobbies, just became a human again. i think my whole family is happier for it.

i also agree that more women should make the choice you did. i grew up in a very conservative family and, as silly as it sounds, it never occurred to me that i didnt have to have kids.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love hearing the "other side" because in every situation dialog is good. Simple as that sounds.

My father told me once when I turned 40 that I led a very selfish and self consumed life style. He felt that since I did not do what women were made to do, have children, that I was a failure as a woman. Boy that hurt. He's an old Italian man and that is their way of thinking. He saw me as someone who "flit about". It didn't matter that he was raising 2 grandchildren becuase of a daughter with drug problems who had 2 children out of wedlock. She was superior in his eyes. She bore him grandkids. Financially my parents were struggling raising these kids and I was in a position to help. He was unaware that I was doing so, it was between me and my stepmom, so I could not tell him that my self consummed life style paid for those girls dance lessons and private school. His pride would not have let that happen. I wanted to lift the strain from my mom. I know how difficult he can be and add 2 babies to the mix at their age was crazy. I asked for the children when they were born but i was told I didn't have the lifestyle for them that he could provide better. Who has the lifestyle for kids before you have kids?
He even went so far as to say that in the eyes of God I wasn't really married. (I married outside his faith)

So I really went against my family upbringing, religious values and hence,why I live far away. I sometimes look at my crazy family and think, Am I adopted? I couldn't be more different politically etc. I love them very much but it's best from afar.

I know a lot of women who I feel should never have had kids. But from pressure did and their kids suffer for it. I was a Big Sister in the Big Brother/Big Sister program. I had this young girl from 6 to 14 until she moved. Her family should not have had children. Her mother had a double digit IQ. She was not taken care of properly. When she first came to me she had no social skills at all. She was dirty and behind kids of her age. I could go on and on about that sad situation and the damage teachers did to her etc. But it goes back to society believe everyone has to have children and you are less than a woman if you don't.

It's a tough one for all women and that is why I don't think either side should judge the other.

In the mean time I hope I met more mom's like you both that are so open minded - wanna move to Northern Virginia? My neighbor hood is filled with what I call young blonde mommy's all trying to tell you how their kid is better than your kid. It's sick.

Anonymous said...

i hate young blonde mommys.

ugh. i can imagine what your father said was incredibly hurtful, especially since you were helping out with his grandkids.

i went against most of the values of my family as well and married outside of the family faith. i used to want to have this "perfect, normal" family that was supportive of differences and always open minded. it just wasnt what i got. i've learned to do without. and yeah, i love my family, but dealings with them are limited. sometimes they cause more pain than anything else. i think more than anything i try really hard to give my own kids "normal."