Sunday, January 4, 2009

Movies, Liquor, Food and Injuries

Now that’s some holiday huh?
Yep did all of the above.

It’s been forever since hubby and I have seen a movie in the theatre. We always make plans to go and then something happens. You know like life.

But we were determined to go out to the movies, out to dinners and see friends over this time we had off since we were not traveling this holiday season. And for the most part we did most of that.

But sadly once again being old slapped us in the face. You know like when I walked by a store window and wondered who that old lady was? That kind of slap in the ass…..

We went to a matinee one afternoon and were shocked that it was $10 a piece.

“Wow, it really has been a long time since we’ve been to a movie if the matinees prices are the price I remember paying for the evening shows.”

"Yea, well talking about the movie prices when you were a kid makes you sound like an old fart so just pay the baby with the zits the money old man."

We stood in line to get a bag of popcorn to share and a bottle of water. Another $10.00.
So right now we’ve spent $30.00. No biggie really but it just seemed high for an afternoon movie.
But like I said it’s been awhile (less than a year though)
We saw the movie Milk. Excellent movie!
Sean Penn is simply the best of my generation.
You forget who he is in any movie because he truly becomes who he is playing.
Outstanding movie! The movie was a heavy topic and made both Rick and I think about the story for a couple of days but in a good way- the way a good movie will stick with you.
It is an outstanding performance that I hope Sean Penn is nominated for.

A few days later we went to see Marley and Me and decided we weren’t ready for our new Lab puppy just yet. This movie makes you fear getting a dog or makes you want one all the more.
I thought I was ready. Mmmm....maybe when I retire and can devote all that time.
Cute movie, good family fare. We needed the “lightness” after Milk so it fit the bill. All together, $50.00 for 2 movies, 1 bag of popcorn and a small bottle of water.

So there ya go being old hit us in the face again. Complaining about spending $50 on the above and we are certifiably sounding like old fuddy duddy’s and it made us laugh,

How the hell do young people go on a date for a dinner and a movie and not spend a few hundred dollars and how the hell can they do that? We bought a few pay per view movies this week and stayed home. $4-6 dollars didn’t seem so bad after an afternoon at the theatre and I make much better popcorn!

“They tried to make me go to rehab but I said no, no, no”…amy winehouse

2nd time we were hit upside the proverbial head with this damn mantra of “c’mon you’re old people so give in to it”…..Injuries do us both in.

Long story short I am in rehab for hip/back issue. Wearing a tens unit and going to rehab during my break 2 days a week. “I don’t want to be in rehab with all the other oldies and I say, no, no, no.”

3rd times a charm.
Rick’s knee injury flared up and just as it was feeling better he walked into a trailer hitch on the back of a truck and has been off his feet for 5 days. Screaming withering type pain that made him ask to go to the doctor. Now you know it's bad when a man wants to go to a doctor. Now I have seen everything.

MRI this week. Canceled all of his appointments for work and otherwise. He has been in his chair with his leg up for a few days now and is ready to scream. He hates being still so much but on a good note he has learned the joy of reading. No kidding he has read more books this week than he has ever read in any given year.

Do you know why old people talk about their aches and pains so much Margaret?

Is this the brainstorming you do while sitting in that chair old man?

Yep, and I think the reason is that is all that happens to them. They have nothing else to talk about .Look at our holiday?

Oh God another smack on the head but I refuse to believe this is happening to us.
“I am not going to get old, I say, no, no, no.”

So on my holiday vacation, I ate too much sugar, I drank way too much alcohol, I saw a lot of movies and waited on my husband. God it’s really happening isn’t it?

My new year’s resolution is to get younger.

Happy New Year!

No comments: