Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Working in a construction Zone

My home office is what was once my husbands work space. He worked from home, or worked "virtual" for years. His office reflected him. He has fishing pictures and fishing motif everywhere. He picked out the colors and everything in it were his choices.
But now I use this office for our business & I spend more hours in this office than one should have to spend in any one place and it just isn't working for me.

There is not a lot of light in this room so I really needed the office furniture in a new arrangement. I wanted the windows behind me to bring light in over me and onto the work surface. While I enjoyed looking out the windows during the day it was not giving me the best use of the light. So what started as rearranging the furniture became a big undertaking.

I really never liked the colors and I really don't like the fishing paraphenalia. But it was his office and when we moved in I told him to make it his own. He sure did. But now he's never in that office I am and well I'm not that thrilled with the arrangement and the whole darn thing.

So I said one day to my hubby that I would really like to remove the carpet in the office because it is tough on the chair, with moving it around and it just looks horrible. I even mentioned that perhaps we could think about doing something different in there.
He immediately said, "you know it's looking tired. I think it's time." I about dropped my martini....but realized that was good gin and that would be stupid. Instead I put it down and ran to hug him. 'LOOKING TIRED?" My God he has been paying attention to me over the years when I do my decorator speak. Who knew? I always thought when his eyes glazed over or he was looking at the World Poker Tour on TV that he wasn't really hearing me. Do you think he really could be listening to me after all? Oh hell, who am I kidding, he must have heard that phrase from a customer because I have other solid proof that he just doesn't listen to me when I am talking to him about such things! But he does spoil me and I think that is what he's doing because I know he could live in total squalor and be happy as a pig in squalor. This undertaking is more about him giving me what I want and I'll just happily go along with that.

Last weekend we ripped out the carpet, down with the fishing border and fishing pictures and moved out all the furniture we could without totally disrupting my work day. This past weekend we put up the measured and cut wainscoting and primed and painted it all. It looks pretty darn good. I even got to use the power nailer. Now that is a great & fun tool. (I don't do saws, I know I'll be like some demented high school shop teacher with a few missing digits. I like my rings so I want my fingers.)

This weekend we will be putting in the new bamboo flooring. Right now I am working on the sub floor which I don't recommend. I have to wear shoes to work now, which I don't normally do, because I got a sliver in my foot from the sub floor and that was a bitch.

I have office equipment and office stuff everywhere. I keep bringing things back in that I have no where to put right now but I need them to do my job. It's crazy. One very small office sure did house a lot of shit. I am amazed by how much stuff is all over our bedroom piled up because I have no place for it right now until the shelves are done or whatever. I have a fax machine sitting on the steps. It's crazy right now and it's not a great way to work but the end results should be worth it. Isn't that what everyone says who is remodeling something?

My own personal Bob Vila will be building me a book case to house office necessaties with some new areas for my printers. It is such a small space but I can't wait to see it when it's done.
I really am looking forward to the point that I refer to as the "fluff'.
The window treatments and the prints on the wall etc.

I forgot to take before pictures. I remembered when we had already torn out the carpet and border and by then it was in total disarray with the bottom half of the walls primed. So I have almost before pics and now mid-way through....waiting for the after pic and I will post it for ya'll to see.

In the mean time I am working my husband to exhaustion. He told me Sunday night that he was looking forward to going to work on Monday to relax. That made me laugh.
Ya gotta love a man who spoils you!

No comments: