Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Vacation Hangover

It took us both 3 full days to get into “vacation mode”. To learn to relax, not worry about work, to just be able to sit and be still without moving all the time at break neck speed.
Now leaving “vacation mode” is just as difficult. What do you mean I can't have a gin & tonic at 11am?

Here is what I learned on my summer vacation.

1. I am selfish in my part on global warming
2. I can never ever retire completely
3. I can drink at any hour of the day.

#1 - The lake water is way down. There are people who no longer have water at the end of their docks. Thankfully we don’t fall into that category. There have been water restrictions this summer and they are in dire need of rain in that part of the country. Did that stop me from whining about the much needed rain all week while hurricane/tropical storm Fay sat over my house? NO. I complained about my lack of tan, boating and sunning. Spoiled brat that I am.

#2 & #3 - I realized that not having anything to do for several days is not good for me. We caught up on much needed sleep and after that it was like now what? I guess those that have called me a type A personality may have been partially correct. I like to be doing something. I like structure and very well see now that I need it or else I am doing things that aren’t necessarily good for me. I realized that if that is what retirement is going to look like then I am headed for AA and a fat farm during my golden years.

I did read 2 books, I took rum naps, I played cards, I ate too much junk and I watched too much TV & laughed a helluva lot with my husband. Literally fits of giggles on any given afternoon. Could have been the pina colada’s or the strawberry daiquiri’s that my husband makes that are so incredibly strong but yummy…..but who cares it was a riot! We ate more than normal too because we were stuck in the house all the time. Here was a typical day while it was raining cats and dogs…..Breakfast on the deck with our favorite coffee. Then at 11am my husband would ask if I wanted a drink? “Didn’t we just have breakfast I’d ask?” He’d responded with, “So? Do you have anywhere you have to be?” Well, damn good point & no I don’t mister so pour me a stiff one pronto. (Boy I’m easy) But 2pm I’d be shit faced and hungry as hell. Did we make healthy lunches then? Hell No.. We would eat junk food like my famous spicy homemade popcorn (no nuked shit for me!) which must be eaten with a cold beverage, beer or gin are very good with this food. Then of course a drunken nap in the hammock while listening to the rain was in order. (screened in area) Then when we woke up we’d begin the process all over again.

See what I mean? I will have to continue to work just so I am not an old retired fat drunk!

No comments: