After dinner I went up stairs to the HD Television and the stadium seats and got all comfy.
I watched hours upon hours of the Farewell to Yankee Stadium. I didn't come down from that high and was unable to sleep until 4pm and got up at 6:30a. It's gonna be a long day my friend!
I saw my favorite Yankee of all time and it made me cry.
I know what the hell is wrong with me right?
My hubby could only touch my arm - he knew it was coming.
I uttered my favorite phrase that I would utter when my favorite Yankee came to the plate or did something wonderful. Usually yelling at the TV, clapping and acting like a general fool. His little face will always make me smile!
I started this around '96 and it always made my hubby laugh. " Bernie, I want to have your babies, Williams."
Rick was laughing, "I haven't heard that in a long time! I missed that"
Truth be told I miss saying it, I miss him playing and I just miss him! Number 51.
I didn't like the way his departure was handled. I didn't want him to leave the game anymore than he wanted to leave the game. I thought how the Yankee's handled it was horrible. But then if big ole George "The Boss" was not in dementia and poor health it would have been handled with the respect and dignity that it warranted. But the fans did what we fans do - we showered him with love and he got the biggest and longest ovation and applause and cheers of the night. I saw the tears well up in his eyes so he felt all the love.
I don't know what is going to happen in the next 85 yrs in the new stadium. I can't fathom a greater legacy but I can only hope. Whether you hate them or love them like me you can't deny the dynasty or the names. Even if someone isn't into baseball if you ask them to name a ball player 90% of the time it will be a Yankee.
As Joe DiMaggio once said, "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee."
I feel that way about being a fan.

Bernie Williams, #51
No comments:
Post a Comment