Friday, September 11, 2026

Hair

Okay, blogger buddies, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Your words were so kind. Thank you.
Like my husband, it appears a lot of you think I should just do this monthly after September.  His reasoning isn't as nice as yours.

When I told him I wanted to wind down, he told me that when I need to vent, you guys get the brunt of it and not him.  Then he laughed like a lunatic.
I told him I will still vent to you, buddy, so be careful.  Then he hugged me like that made his words better. I'm going to think about the once-a-month thing.  
I'll let you know.

In the meantime, allow me to share something that has made me feel like shit.  
Just the opposite reaction to all your kind words.

I saw a new salon open near me. It was Salon Suites.  If you don't know what that is, it's a building with several small rooms that are rented to stylists so they are not working for someone else.  Their room is their salon.

I made an appointment for a consultation.  I got there in 5 minutes. That alone thrilled me. I sat in the terribly decorated waiting area with 3 other women.  

Heather, who was to be my stylist, came out all smiling and told me to come back.
I followed her into her tiny studio.  
We began with what I do like about this cut and what I would like to change.
We talked about hair, products I used, etc.
Then the dreaded question: where are you from?  Where did I move from, or where did I grow up?  Both.  I told her.  She nodded.  I know that nod. I silently observed her. She said nothing else.  I knew enough to shut up. 

She was all smiles while I was there.  She booked me an appointment for Sept 11th.
I was thrilled because she seemed to understand my hair, using a razor, etc.

2 days later, I received a text telling me my appointment was canceled. Then a 2nd text telling me, "Peggy, I don't think we are a good fit.  You were very friendly and familiar, and I just don't think this is a good fit because of that. You acted like you were my friend."

That's all she wrote.
Friendly and familiar?
I get friendly; they sure don't like that here, but I can't change that and wear a puss face for them. It's not who I am.  But Familiar?  What the hell does that even mean?

I show this to Rick.  He hugged me. He knew I was hurt.
He asked, "Did you share stories or ask her personal questions?"
I said, "NO. We talked about hair. The only thing outside of hair was that she asked where I was from."
Rick just went, "Ah. Bingo. You Yankee, you." 

God, if they had won the damn Civil War hundreds of years ago, would they be nicer?
Rick again asks, "No stories of your life or anything to make it familiar?"
"NO, just my hair."

So, if you can be blunt with me, what did I do wrong?
I wore a smile. I did not talk about anything other than my hair and answered her question about where I was from. 

I hate the South; I really do. I wish I weren't stuck here now. They never fail to show me who they are. I wish it were like the movies where they are so nice.

In the meantime, I still have my very expensive gal who treats me well and is super nice. Guess what? She was born here, but her parents are not southern. I think that is why she is so open-minded to all kinds of people. 

Oh well, such is life.  I'll get over it eventually.

38 comments:

Stubblejumpers Cafe said...

That sounds just plain weird, to me. She's obviously a dipshit who doesn't deserve your business.
Boy am I happy to see you post again.
-Kate

Grace said...

That sucks. I have never lived further south than NoVA but I have lived up and down the East Coast from (very) rural Vermont to Virginia. I also lived in the Caribbean and I can honestly say I've never met unfriendly people, in general. Obviously you are gonna hit a few here and there, that's life. Maybe Boston, I don't have any positive memories of Boston. Of course that may be colored by the fact that my husband's family is from Boston and I don't have positive feelings for or from them. Ha! I'm a bit like you and I will talk to anyone, anywhere and just about always get a positive reaction. I can't imagine living somewhere where every cheery greeting is met with a wall. With all the mishegoss that has been going on in your life for the past few years this has just got to be - I'm at a loss for the proper analogy. But you really can't let them suck any more joy from your life. Come on now, you enjoy writing - keep doing it 🤗

Grace said...

I just thought of something - You should continue to be your outgoing friendly self if only to annoy them!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Grace I want to go back to NoVa so badly. In the meantime, you sould like Rick regarding be myself if no no other reason to piss them off. It still hurts but I won't let them win.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It's still September!

Julie H said...

Wow what a nutball. Probably a good thing.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie that's what Rick said

Kathy G said...

You should be thankful that stylist showed her true colors before you signed on as a client.

Cop Car said...

It seems to me that the stylist has had a bad experience with a "Yankee". About the only thing one can do is to take her at her word about there being a "bad fit" even if it is strange and unimaginable. Having lived and/or worked in the four corners and middle of the 48 contiguous states, I know that there are good people everywhere. I accept that I cannot know the past of each person I meet. Good luck in getting past this and continuing to be your outgoing/charming/rambunctious self. As a blog friend, I love you just the way you are!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thank you! I know there are good people everywhere I've lived. However everyone I've met here thus far have not been so nice.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I suppose so. She may have ruined my hair. Lol

DB Stewart said...

This is bonkers. I agree that she's a dipshit.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ha ha, I love that word, dipshit. Her loss or that's how im trying to see this.

Abby said...

Wait... WHAT?! That's crazy to me. And why do they even ask where you're from, what difference does it make? On the bright side, you probably dodged a bullet.
Once a month sounds much better than nothing. I'll take what I can get.

Hope Springs said...

That's just odd. But thank goodness you found out before she came at you with scissors. Could have been a bad time growing it back. I have short hair and my strategy when I move anywhere is to watch strangers and then ask who cuts their hair. Sometimes it takes a while. And I feel you on the price. We're retired and my stylist just had another increase. Ouch. My neighbor had a nice cut at the last HOA meeting. Maybe I'll ask her. lol.

Susan Kane said...

WELL, dang it. She sounds like she is the one who knows what you should do, What does she think she is? A queen, wants a ring? You will do much better somewhere else. If you see someone in church or at a store whose haircut you like, ask her about it. I found Jenny that way. She is from Taiwan, spent her teen years in St. Louis. Like Midwest food. I love her.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thanks "Abby"! They ask because I dont have an accent and God forbid you're not southern.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I did that in Seattle and in VA. But I dont see anyone here with a nice cut or I'd ask. I wear my hair short as well.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Susan, see my comment above. 😍

Jane said...


I’m sorry she handled it that way. You were friendly and answered what she asked. That’s normal. If she felt something else, that’s on her, not you.

I do hope you won’t judge the whole South by your experiences in one area. The South is many different states and regions, and we’re certainly not all alike. Some places and people are more friendly and welcoming than others. I’m sure it’s the same up North.

I’m glad you still have your regular stylist who treats you well. I hope the next new place you try is better.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Hmmm, I can't figure that out. Obviously she didn't have the balls to tell you that to your face, and I sort of understand because: awkward. I guess she has enough business? I would not take it personally. Maybe she thought you might be super picky and she didn't want to deal with it. Or maybe she mostly just trims off the ends of all the ladies with long hair in the south and she doesn't know what to do with shorter hair, because she's not all that good. In that case she did you a huge favor. Or she was intimidated by your intelligence and sense of humor. Whatever.....you just need to keep looking. Shake the dust from your shoes, so to speak.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Dusted! 😄

Cop Car said...

And that is, indeed, a shame. I am sorry you have had to experience this disturbing situation.

Ami said...

That's fucking nuts. Give me her number.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Don't waste one more second worrying whether you did "something wrong." You did not. That bigoted hairdresser is just a Bitch with a Capital B, that's all. Forget her!

KarenDianeArabella said...

All I can say is "What The Hell!"

KarenDianeArabella said...

Yay - once a month to Still hear from Our Peg❤️

Anonymous said...

Just read re your encounter with the weird hairdresser - and that's why I follow your blog from your business days! I've also met (and still meet, unfortunately) stupid people like her and thought "it must be me" but didn't share with others (too embarrassed). Its only reading blogs that I realise its truly a small world, and thank God for the nice people to make up for the nasties..

Diana said...

What an unpleasant experience with that stylist, that kind of rejection with no clear reason just hurts. I honestly don't understand what was wrong with simply being friendly, that says more about her than about you. Glad you and Rick could laugh about it together, and that you still have your trusted stylist who truly appreciates you. Hang in there, I hope you find a good fit soon!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh this made me laugh out loud. Thx!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You're right, not all of the south would be this rude. I just haven't been there yet.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I decided that I am not stooping to their level. I will continue to smile and be friendly and to hell with them.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'll finish up sept. Then ho to once s month. Peer Pressure.😉

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I too have always felt like, why me? Im being pleasant. But im not going to become grumpy gus for them. I'm a smiler, so deal with it! 😀

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hi Diane. Yes, it did hurt. But now I realize im not going to be a sour puss for them. Im a friendly, smiley person. Deal with it!! Lol

Anonymous said...

My niece once said “you talk to anybody, dont’ you?” I said yup. That’s how you make people feel noticed, alive, and part of this world.and, by being friendly, I’ve had tea with a Thai family at their storefront in Chang Mai, joined a family in Belize at their house on stilts over a river, motioned to come in to a private concert in Barcelona And had an ice cream with a sweet lost child after helping his mom find him in Paris. Much more, didn’t know them, but they are the best memories.Peg you are one of the good ones. Don’t let the b@% get you down.
ROsie

Mike said...

"Ah. Bingo. You Yankee, you." indeed!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Rosie, I have a lot of those fun memories too. Thanks for reminding me of my travels and all the fun I had. I may have to repost one of my favorites. Thx!! I will not let the bitch get me down. Sadly it's hard for me to let that stuff go in my head but I'd tell others to do the same :-)