Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Where I've Been

Where have I been? 
Not doing anything fun, that is for certain!
Doctors and more doctors.  

We have begun to play games again.
We used to do that a great deal in the winter when we lived up north.
So we decided that, since it's too damn hot to be on the patio or anywhere without a pool, we were going to stay indoors and play games.

Now Rick and I are both so competitive. Me, maybe even more so, but I will never admit it to Rick. 🤭

Rick likes to play games that he knows will be difficult for me.
Like anything with spelling or math.

He wanted to play Scrabble, and I quickly said no.  He laughs.
The last time we played, he got beaten. He can't let it go.  I, who can't spell a lick, won, and boy, that bugs him so.  It does make me laugh because how I won was funny to me.  I entered the word 'id'.  What the hell is that? he asks.
Before I can answer, he says it's not a word. I insist it is.
He tells me to use it in a sentence.
Okay. I won Scrabble tonight with the word id.
He didn't find that as funny as me.

He grabs a dictionary.  I tell him that it is against the rules.
He replies with so are made-up words. I tell him what it means.
Now he is laughing and saying bullshit.

He looks it up. Guess who won?  This is such a thorn in his side; it is very funny.
So we had to play another game of Scrabble, and I let him win.  HA HA 
Seriously, he just won fair and square, but it was close for a bit.  He felt so much better.

Backgammon is another game we used to play a lot.  So we pulled out the backgammon game.  I won, and he swore I cheated as we both laughed. He has never won a game of backgammon against me. Since 1987.  I like that. 

So that led us to the following week to play poker. 
Because he plays poker, he thought he'd teach me. I know he did it so he could win, but I went along. 

I can never remember what is better. I kept referring to it like Yatzee.  He didn't like that. But he did make me a cheat sheet so I could look at it and see what is better than another etc.

Now, Rick is not observant, so for the love of God, I do not know how he wins at poker sometimes. You see, Rick has a lot of "tells"  
When he puts his tongue on his lips, I know he has nothing.
When he plays with his chips, he has nothing.
So yes, I won at poker, and my God, he wanted to know how the hell I kept winning. I finally told him 3 of his tells. He was shocked.  
I told him he had to pay attention to more than just his cards.
He put the cards on the table and said, "How about go fish?"
I just laughed and said, Nope, I just don't wanna see you cry babe"

We are the weirdos who like game shows like Password, 1% Club, and Quiz with balls. 
The first time I watched the 1% club, I made it to the last question and blew it. 
Have not gotten that close since.

The Quiz with balls is easier. They had a category that was baseball. Rick said, "I'm cooked."  Yep, I knew them all. We used to play Password all the time.  He and I are a good team. He gets me, and how my crazy mind works, so we are a formidable team.  Then there is jeopardy.  I suck at Jeopardy. Unless it's Geography, TV, music, or fluff questions. I am awesome at college or celebrity Jeopardy because those questions are far easier.

The other night, there was a geography question, and he asked how the hell I knew that. I said I worked in the travel industry. Before I was in travel software, I was a travel agent. I would need to know where places are located, don't you think?  
He just pfff'd me. 

Do you play games as an adult? What games are you good at?  

14 comments:

Ami said...

Really? You TOLD him how he's giving himself away at poker? Should have kept it a secret so you can win, dammit!!! LOL. Not really, winning isn't that important to me. I play too many games against children. Fun fact, it's developmentally appropriate for them to cheat their little butts off. They aren't even very good at cheating, either.

We used to play games but Eric suddenly decided he didn't like playing anymore. Got rid of most of our games after that. ::sigh::

We do occasionally play Cribbage or Scrabble, but occasionally means 'there's a span of years between matches'.

Sorry you're still making the rounds with doctor stuff.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I go through bouts of card playing like cribbage, whist and canasta, and occasionally play Scrabble or Yatzee. Oh yes, I play rummoli too if there's a large group of people.

Kathy G said...

I always have a couple of games of Words With Friends (an app like Scrabble) going-one with Hubby and others with random people I've picked up over the years. As far as games go, Hubby would play cards every day. Me not so much. When company comes our go tos are Rummikub and Farkle.

Barbara said...

I think games was a great idea. I used to be a big game player. Now that you bring it up I miss that. Since it's just me here I play a lot of Solitare and computer games, those of course, are games of luck, not skill, so I don't mind loosing too much. Ha

Blondi Blathers said...

I liked games and cards as a youngster and young adult, but not anymore. I don't want to be stuck in my chair long enough to finish a game.
Farmbeau's family loves games and will whip out a game at family gatherings. That's when I always kick myself if I haven't brought my own vehicle so I can go home and enjoy my own lonesome company. (Just kidding about the lonesome.)
Farmbeau's mother says he's a cutthroat Scrabble player, and one time when they played with his niece, she got up and stomped out of the room and said she'd never play Scrabble with him again.
-Kate

bluzdude said...

I love playing board games, but rarely do, even though we have a ton of them. (Well, Sweetpea does.) The problem is that it's not as much fun to play with only 2 players. Scrabble is the only real exception.

I love playing along with The 1% Club. I always bomb out around the 40-45% level, but then get a few more answers right. If I was ever on the show, I'd always take the buyout deal at the end. But I always miss the last question. I might have gotten it once or twice.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well Tony there has to be cocktails involved and a "prize" for the winner (wink, wink)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I've never played Cribbage. We went outside for 15 minutes and we were both drenched in sweat. Looked like I walked out of the shower.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I've never heard of rummoli before. I know no card games except Gin. That's why Rick wanted to teach me poker. His mistake.😁

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Kathy, I have never heard of these 2 games. I must be too old.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I play a lot of games on my phone. Oh hell, my wins are always luck and no skill. I mean I pulled 'id' out of my butt

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh one of those players. 😉 I had a friend who did this playing monopoly for Pete's sake!!

Abby said...

The husband and I play Crossplay, which is basically Scrabble as an app. I'd say we're pretty well matched.
Board games have really gotten popular among millennials. Middle son has a ton of games, but they take a long time to explain/learn.
Poker is a good go-to, but I'm like you. I sometimes forget what beats what. Unlike you, I haven't figured out any tells!

DB Stewart said...

Rick's not the first guy to be foiled by his unconscious id, ha.
As I've said before, if I could, I would watch you two on YouTube endlessly, ha.
We love games intermittently; it's like we get sick of them for several months and then forget we got bored. Current examples include the card game golf, dice games, and Ticket to Ride.