We all saw the videos and pictures of the 5 people who attended Trump's big American Fair. Everyone was at the Pride Parade, a few blocks over :-) I loved it. If I still lived there, that's where I'd have been.
This weekend, Demented Donnie is speaking to the masses (HA HA) for the 4th of July. It's going to be 110 and humid as all hell. I am hoping for his orange to melt down his face. Okay, truth - I am wishing for death by heat stroke on this 80-year-old creep.
God help us. I love my country, but I despise that guy. No, I can't call him my president. He didn't win. He cheated. Not mine!
With the World Cup here, we are seeing all these Europeans get excited about air conditioning in our homes and stadiums, etc. They giggle like little children, and it's so cute. They seem to love our food, the free coffee refills at the diner, and the free pop refills. I've been watching quite a few of these types of videos, and they are both funny and touching. The one man was told Texas was the size of 6 European countries, and his eyes got huge. He kept saying it's such a huge country. Hey buddy, Canada is bigger. :-)
They seemed to find Walmart, Buc-ee's, and Chick-fil-A awesome. '
I find all 3 of those just Yuck.
Well, Chick-fil-A, I've never eaten at and won't due to their LGBTQ discrimination.
Some of them cried at the Grand Canyon and couldn't believe it was real.
And lastly, we talk to everyone, and that was a biggie to them.
Standing in line, your wait staff, etc. Yes, that's me. If someone is reading a map, don't you ask if they need some help?
Apparently, in the UK, none of that is done. That is wild to me.
A lot of those from the UK said you also don't say hello to someone you don't know if you pass them on the sidewalk. Really? At least nod and smile? Wow.
We take a lot for granted, don't we?
I am shutting down my phone and computer.
No social media of any sort after today.
I want a nice, calm, quiet weekend in my cool home, staying inside.
(and not falling)
Wishing you all a Happy 4th.
18 comments:
Like you, I appreciate that we all talk to one another. It beats stony silence - unless I'm reading. Trying to be helpful can backfire, though, as I learned to my dismay at age 14. As a retail clerk (Christmas help), I asked a woman if I could help her. I obviously mistook that she had a problem, probably was not diplomatic about it, and I probably should have minded my own business, but at age 14? (I lied about my age - told 'em I was 16 in order to get the job) She reported me to the manager, and he threatened to fire me. I did learn from that, so it is OK. I learned to be responsive to customers but to let them approach me.
I'm not sure I understand how asking if you could help someone be any kind of negative at all. I do it all the time.
Rural people here talk to anyone and everyone everywhere, except when we go to the city. We may speak to city dwellers, but they're wary and sometimes look at you as if you're out of line by speaking to them. That happened to me in Toronto, Canada's largest city. Here in Saskatchewan I figure most of the city dwellers moved there from the country or at least have parents, grandparents, or other relatives who don't live in the cities, so they're likely to be friendly. -Kate
Definitely geographical for people talking and being nice. Should say generational also lol.
It's interesting to hear comments from people from other countries. We do take a lot for granted.
Happy 4th!
I hadn't thought about it, but when we were in Germany last month most of the city residents we saw on tours weren't particularly friendly.
I never found that with Toronto. Everyone was always friendly and kind. Maybe cause I was a tourist. I've only been there about a dozen times so what do I know. Living there could be different. I've never been to Saskatchwan but would love to see more than the two coasts.
You're right. Seattle was an incredibly difficult city for both Rick and me. COLD, anti-social people. Those we connected with were from outside the area who were feeling the same way as us.
Happy 4th!!
Kathy, I've heard that about Germany. Their language always sounds so mean to me. Like they're angry. I have a friend who spent a good deal of time there and she said it took her a bit to relax because she always thought they were mad.
I was amused to read that visitors think ranch dressing is a gourmet treat.
I found that funny too!
When I visited Toronto some years ago, we were standing on a corner looking at a map, trying to figure out. the best way to get to our hotel. Several Canadians approached us, asking if they could help. I don't know why some places get a reputation that can be so different from what I experience.
Nina
Agreed. My favorite city in North America!!
I hope you were able to enjoy the 4th ~ we barbequed burgers and hot dogs, had corn off the cob, Greek village salad. I had also made key lime cookies, which were ok, the filling was made with sweetened condensed milk, which I am not fond of. Next time I'll make the cream filling (which is placed into a dip in the top of the cookie) with cream cheese.
I saw Trumper on the telly a few times, but I always either mute it (because I can't stand to hear that moron talk) or change the channel. It's just so freakin' embarrassing.
Very quiet 4th here. I too either mute him or change channels. I like sweetened condensed milk and those cookies sound yummy. Is s.c.milk too sweet for you? Actually key lime anything sounds wonderful!
In some ways I find comfort in the Visitors comments. They see some of the great things about our country and love it. We also know from posts and blogs that they also see the crazy in our leader. Honestly, I'm suprised anyone came. I would have been afraid if I were them that I would end up on Alligator Prison.
💯 you hit the nail on the head!!
Post a Comment