I hope your holiday was all you wanted it to be.
Do you have snow? Thankfully, NC does not get snow to speak of. I am all for that. My family in Erie, PA, has been under 5 feet of snow, with more on its way. It looks so pretty from here, but I wouldn't want to deal with it myself.
Hence why we went south. :-)
Lake Effect Snow storms with thunder are typical weather for my hometown.
The first winter after I met Rick was his first winter in this town. We were walking to our car when it thundered.
Rick asked, "Did you hear that?"
"Yes"
"It was thunder"
"Yes, I am aware"
"I've never heard thunder during a snowstorm!" He was excited like this was so rare.
"It does it all the time, what is so new about that?"
"Well, it's new to me"
"Well, it's new to me"
That is when I learned that is not normal in all parts of the world.
In other news since I've been gone from the blog.
I watch a show on Netflix called "Is It Cake"
I found this in the wee hours of the morning when Rick first had his stroke.
He was in the hospital and worry wart was up in the middle of the night.
When Rick got home I showed him this show. He found it funny but was then fascinated by it. Then we see some of our friends who are into this with their kids. I guess kids just love this show. Then I heard a comedian say his wife and kids watched it and he rolled his eyes and said, "Not for me, sounds stupid."
The kids made him watch and now he too loves this show.
I saw they had a holiday version of the show so over Thanksgiving, we watched that show.
When it was over Rick said, "You always make me watch these cake shows, now I want cake."
"Hey mister, I don't MAKE you watch anything!"
He laughed and said, "Well between this and the British Baking Show it makes me want cake you know?"
"Oh I do but since I can't have cake..."
"Hey, I can."
"So you're asking for cake?"
"Was that too subtle for ya?"
"Alight, what kind of cake do you wish mister?"
"Aged Beer Cake"
"You going to leave it alone for 7 days?"
"I promise!"
"Hmpf"
Now, this Aged Beer cake is so simple.
The difficult part is letting it sit for seven days without cutting or eating it. Yeah, that has always been his issue.
He wanted this one for one year, and I made it for his birthday—of course, the week before his birthday so it could age.
After the 7 days, it is VERY moist, dense, and decadently wonderful.
I wrapped it in saran wrap/cellophane.
The following day I see a piece is missing.
So I wrapped the cellophane-wrapped cake in aluminum foil.
2 layers may help the big mouse from getting to it.
I knew I'd hear him try to get some cake that way.
Two can play this game, mister.
The next day I hear the foil and yell into the kitchen, "I hear that cake opening are you sure you wanna do that?"
He had a big belly laugh and yelled, "I can't believe you booby-trapped the cake!"
"yep I did"
Fast forward to December 2024. I made the cake.
I wrapped it in saran wrap. I had it under a cake carrier.
It was left on the kitchen island.
The following morning this is what I saw.
I think we have a rat in the house.
I will be lucky if the cake makes it to 7 days.
As he says, "It's far better after the 7 days but it's damn good now too"
********
Have any of you watched the Ted Danson show on Netflix called A Man on The Inside? It is based on a true story but this is fiction of course.
I didn't think I'd like it but I did. It's light, it's funny and it was perfect for the holiday weekend. We laughed a few times just because the character is as good with technology as Rick is. He found that funny. He saw himself.
I was going to attempt to explain the events at this Senior Living Community but just watch the trailer, it will do a better job of explaining.
I just hope and pray I don't ever end up in one of these high school dormitories. But I am old enough to know better than to say, never. If I've learned nothing in 60 years it is to never say never. But a gal can 'hope'

10 comments:
We had 2 inches of snow here about 36 hours ago but it will be mostly gone by today. It's typical anymore for what snow we do get. (This is not a challenge to the snow gods.)
Lucky you. Don't miss it one bit. Pretty to see from afar.
I rhink I am Ted Danson's biggest fan, since Body Heat way back in the 80s. I watched A Man on the Inside and agree that it was good. This and Grace and Frankie are maybe the only two shows I've seen that do a good job with older characters. This show was also done by Michael Schur, the same guy who wrote The Good Place, which I loved.
I'm in PA, no snow yet but expected tonight - just an inch or two. Poor Erie!
Oops - that anon was Nina.
My friend in Connecticut is without power today. No thanks! My mother in law made beer bread. I had it once and I thought it was disgusting but Scott loved it.
Funny you should mention Is It Cake. I hadn't seen it for a long time, but watched it with some of the family the other day. I think it's lame, but the grandkids loved it.
I never saw Body Heat. I remember Wm.Hurt and Kathleen Turner were in it but thats all i know. Nowhere in PA gets much snow except on the lake sadly. Hope it stays nice for you Nina. Agree with your Grace and Franke comment!
I never saw Body Heat. I remember Wm.Hurt and Kathleen Turner were in it but thats all i know. Nowhere in PA gets much snow except on the lake sadly. Hope it stays nice for you Nina. Agree with your Grace and Franke comment!
They have power. As for beer bread. NOTHING like the cake. It's made with pudding, sour cream, cake mix, eggs, oil and you can use water instead of beer. You'd love it.
Kathy, I know kids love it! It's silly no need to think tv. I sometimes need that sadly.
Post a Comment