Friday, May 17, 2024

Am I missing?

I received an email in the middle of the night from a blogger who couldn't find my blog.  I thought I had fixed it.  I'm so confused.

Then I see where some people comment and it does not publish I must hit the check mark and publish it manually. That's new.

I hate blogger.
Is anyone else not finding me on their reading list?

Today is Friday. It is hot and rain should arrive this afternoon. Rick and I want to accomplish getting the plants & flowers we purchased yesterday in our planter boxes before the rain. 

Tomorrow we get pedicures. I can bribe Rick to go with me once a year. He always LOVES it, the massage, the wine etc. But I have to drag him except this time. I suggested he go with me and he jumped at the idea.  Who is this new man? 

We were standing at the nursery and Rick asked an employee, "Is that a Peacock I hear?"   She tells him it is indeed. 
Now, first of all, I don't even know what a peacock sounds like. And no I  could not hear anything. Even the employee said, "I don't hear it right now but yes there is a peacock here." 

I've told you since the stroke his hearing and smell are off the charts. He is like a canine. Me, not hearing a lot of late, I wonder is it me? Or is it him?
It's so damn weird. 

I bought strawberries at a fruit stand. A person in front of me suddenly slammed on her brakes so of course, so did I.  My strawberries were in a plastic bucket on the floor on the passenger side of the car. They went sliding across the floor when I hit the brakes so quickly. When I got home I picked them all up and put them back in the bucket they were in. It was just a couple of strawberries that had to be washed anyway. So I didn't think it was a big deal.
Ah, but apparently I missed a few.

The following morning Rick got into the car and it REALLY smelled like strawberries so he began to look for them. 2 were under the passenger seat and one went into the door's side pocket. How it got there I will never know since it would have had to jump up there. 

Now that was 2 weeks ago, Rick still smells strawberries. As we got in the car yesterday he said, "I kind of like the smell of the strawberries in here, it's like one of those car air fresheners."
I didn't smell a thing.

At first, I thought Oh my goodness I have the beginning of Alzheimers. I know that you lose your sense of smell. But then I ask others if they can smell these things and no one ever can.  Whew. I felt better. Or we're all getting Alzheimer's except Rick.

I know I don't hear well anymore but no one can hear the shit he hears.
Or smell the things he smells. 
There was a baby at the nursery with its mother and he could smell the dirty diapers from a good distance away. He said to me, "She can't smell his poop?"  I said I was sure she could but she'd deal with it later. He asked me if I could smell it. I said she is 4 aisles away, no I can't.  I did unfortunately smell the baby later when she was closer to me. But I certainly did not 4 aisles away. 

If he was going to get a superpower after his stroke I'd have preferred it be something of good use. Like large winning lottery numbers or being able to see into the future or talk to dead people. Something like that.

Well, I'm off to get a couple of things for his birthday cake. I asked him what he wanted and of course, I don't have 2 of the things needed. 

13 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Any superpowers are awesome to have, I guess. Will he be jointing the Avengers soon?

Abby said...

That's so interesting that he's a supersmeller now.
"Or we're all getting Alzheimer's except Rick." - ha!
You're on MY reading list anyway.

Ami said...

You are still not showing up on my phone. But I can see you on my computer. Okay, that's weird.

But I'm glad that you're still out there. :)

I have almost zero sense of smell anymore. It kind of makes me sad, there are many things I wish I could smell.

I do understand the older lady thing of too much perfume now, though. They put it on and can't smell it so they put on more. They end up putting on so much that you can smell it five minutes before they arrive.

I used to think they had used so much it crisped their nose hairs and they lost their sense of smell, but no. It is caused by the thing women all go through... mythical dryup.

Mike said...

Rick should look for a job to use his new smelling power. I'm sure there are specialty jobs out there that would pay good bucks to have someone like him.

I don't use a reader. I look at my sidebar to see who's posted today. And blogger has been weird recently. Really weird.

Susan Kane said...

Having super hearing can be good or it could be misery. Super sense of smell is would be handy.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Romeo has burnt out his nasal passages with Afrin. He uses it "so he can breath", and no matter how many other allergy treatments, I can't get him to quit using it. I remember listening to Dr Radio on Sirius radio ~ one of the Docs said he wish they had never put Afrin as an over the counter nasal spray. So, he can't smell, but I can. I have been known to go into his office and wrinkle my nose. He does a better job cleaning up, and I bought one of those tiny air freshners to stick in there.
It's a good thing that you didn't buy that paint "fragrance", because Rick would have probably been sick from the strong smell!

DB Stewart said...

I would definitely watch your YouTube channel, like & subscribe. Haha.

Kathy G said...

I've never had a great sense of smell, and it seems to be declining even more as I age.

Cruisin Paul said...

I like strawberries. LOL I really enjoy reading your blog Peg. It sounds like Rick is doing well. I hope you both are enjoying life better.


Cruisin Paul

Julie H said...

Always reminds me of the movie Phenomenon when you talk about his super powers.

bluzdude said...

You're still on my blogroll and new posts update, so you're fine with me. Although your comments on my blog still don't generate an approval email, so sometimes I don't see them for a few days, until I go check the Blogger Comments page and have to manually approve them.

I think Rick's new powers are quite useful. He's your new early warning system for gas leaks, distant emergencies, smoke detection... like your own personal canary in the coal mine.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

You are still showing up on my Bloggers blog roll. Knock on wood I'm not currently having an problems with them.

Never heard of anyone getting a better sense of smell after a stroke. But why not, depending on the area in Rick's brain where it occurred.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Debra, no Avengers. Too old to jump. lol

Abby, it is isn't it? I met a woman who lost her smell and taste years before her diagnosis of Alzheimers. Her daughter told me that doctors say that is the number 1 sign that happens first. So I began to read about it. I guess he will be fine or I have Alzheimers or both.

Ami I'm glad you are now getting me.

Mike, I'm sure there are jobs like that but they can't be fun ones.

Susan, He drives me nuts with the hearing. But he heard water under our house when even the plumber didn't but to appease Rick he looked and Rick was correct.

Yvonne, that paint would have bothered him. I knew a kid who became "addicted" to visine. His eyes were a mess. He had to be on special medication etc. He used it so much and the more he used it the more he felt he needed it. A big cycle.

DB, I am not sure how to take this. I'm going with the positive.

Kathy, mine was average, my hearing is another story!

Paul. Rick is doing very well, thank you!!

Julie, I loved that movie. One of my favorites of Travolta's.

bluzdude, I read him the canary in the coal mine and he got a kick out of that. But true.

Jean it wasn't on most for 2 weeks but I am glad I'm back.
Smell and Sound. It can be a good thing but most often he is annoying me with did you hear that? Don't you smell that? No and no. :-)