Tuesday, April 18, 2023

A Ramblin' Rosé

Without my right hand being able to function things are getting done slowly.
Very slowly for impatient me. If I had my right arm all power washing would be done. The deck would be done except for the gazebo. Aargh! I am a very impatient person. I've tried to correct this but even if not saying anything about it I am filled with anxiety inside. So while Rick thinks I'm handling it well I'm telling you I am not! Inside I'm a mess.

It took Rick 4 days to build the deck.
It took Rick 4 days to put together a sofa for the deck.
That made us laugh. He wasn't building it for Pete's sake,  just assembling it. Too funny.

I got a small sectional sofa that was on sale on Amazon. 
We could not agree on the color of the cushions. I know I could have gotten my way BUT this guy just built the deck and he has spent a year being an awesome, albeit, somewhat overbearing caregiver. 😍 I let him have the awful turquoise he thought was lovely. I loathe it!  I'll make it work... in time.

On Funday Monday we finished the sofa. I say WE as in I handed him things. That's what a person with one hand does. I also fetched. :-)
He did this in the garage so no small pieces went down the cracks of the deck. I suggested a drop cloth along with the rug but he said the garage was far cooler than the hot sun as well. With no gazebo yet the hot sun was beating down on him. He's doing it alone for the most part, so wherever he wishes is fine with me. But now he had to carry all the pieces of the sectional to the deck. I can't lift so he was on his own again. Poor guy.

After we got it onto the deck we sat for a minute. Rick was happy. 
We joked about how long it took to put together. 
The reviews said 1 hour to put together. One reviewer said 1 hour if 2 people are working on it. Okay, it was just Rick so 2 hrs? Not even close and that's why we found this so funny. I told him it would have been faster for him to build the sectional. 

Monday was a cooler day and it is what is called at my house and in my family as a Peggy Day. It was not humid, it was in the low 70s and there was a delightful breeze. (God, please give me this weather at least until June, I'll be good!!)

We sat for a moment on our new cushions and Rick said, " Know what it feels like? It feels like happy hour to me!"
I said, "It's barely 1pm." Ha that never stopped me he proclaims.
He laughs and goes into our home. He comes out with 2 outdoor glasses and a bottle of rosé along with some cheese and meats, etc. He made a charcuterie board and it made me giggle. 
Now I have not really had but 2 glasses of wine in 13 months but boy that rosé looked great. (my fave - whispering angel) At our home we call this rosé, Peggy's summer water.

So, Peg, had two glasses & Peg had a great nap outside on her new sofa. 😁
Rick had a Monday fun day nap outside with me. In the middle of the day - I'm getting the hang of this retirement thing!!!

A car went by honking its horn for a full block. That woke us.
We laughed and we went inside. It was now after 5:30p.
No need for dinner we had eaten all the charcuterie board he made up.
The best part of retirement is spontaneous napping I've decided!

Rick is busy building planter boxes for me as I type this.
Hey, I didn't even ask - he suggested it. I wasn't going to say no to that.
The old ones in our old home stayed there, the new owners begged for me to leave all the patio furniture but they were not willing to pay for it so we took the furniture and left them the flower boxes and the gazebo because it was screwed into the Trex deck. 

I enjoy the weather here a great deal. (not much else so far)  February thru May are perfect for me. Summer is my least favorite season here, hot as hell and humid as the Caribbean. Spring, fall, and winter are perfect. 
Everyone tells me San Deigo is the place for Peggy Day Temps. Well I know I've been there and while lovely I don't want the same weather every day. I mean it's like groundhog day. I like a cool rainy day. I prefer 4 seasons, even though the winter ones here are mild it's perfect.
I can't have it all and I'm not moving to San Deigo, so this is the next best thing. Well...
And who made that stupid rule that I can't have it all? I don't like them or their stinkin' rules!!!




8 comments:

JF said...

Wow. A lot to think about. My husband and I also have some pretty conservative friends and we tacitly agree to not talk politics. The number of gun killings is frightening and I’m just sick and tired of the “thoughts and prayers “b.s. I totally feel your pain.

Bobi said...

I agree with JF, understand the edit but I, too, share the disgust at current events. The common denominator is guns pure and simple.

Mike said...

"but they were not willing to pay for it"
No wonder they kept the girl scout cookies!

Cruisin Paul said...

Peg, for me napping is a normal thing in my life now. Around 1:00pm I sit down in my chair and suddenly my eyes get heavy and I'm out. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do. I try and sit outside and get some air but even then my eyes get heavy and I have to go inside and rest. I guess that's when you get old. I hope that you are doing well my friend.


Cruisin Paul

Lea said...

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your deck once everything is done. Whispering Angel is my favourite rose but don’t have it often as it is so expensive in Ontario. The liquor taxes are a killer in Canada.

Take care and your blog is my favourite. 🇨🇦

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Also looking forward to the photo of your new outdoor living space.

Your memes are sadly true. I know people here who don't think friends should talk to each other about politics, gun control, etc. but I think the opposite it true. We are getting too tribal and not trying to understand one another is not helping us.

Julie H said...

That snack and nap sound lovely!

Kayla Wallace said...

Great blog I enjoyed readinng