Well Jean's comment to me yesterday was spot on!
I began my day with such hope. I was not severely ill Sunday night or this morning, it was glorious. I had a lovely morning on the patio with Rick and enjoyed a cup of coffee. Coffee and all food still taste weird to me because I still have metal mouth. In high school, metal mouth was a kid with braces. Now it's an old lady who feels like she's sucking on nickels.
But metal mouth be damned it was just nice to be awake on Monday and not feeling like death. It was nice to sit with Rick again on the porch in the morning. It's been 6 months of him sitting out there alone with his coffee.
He looked at me and said, "welcome back". It was nice.
I then unloaded the dishwasher and cleaned up the kitchen because the night before I left the mess right where it was. Best part of retirement if you ask me. Rick headed to his "office" of wood.
I then began to gather all I needed to paint the hall bathroom.
I had already done the top 1/2 in white but the bottom half was going to be painted a color other than white and it had wainscotting/bead board on the bottom half. On Sunday I had painted the top chair rail in the garage since it was up against white it was easier that way than to cut in and not get blue on the white. Make sense? The rest of the bead board I thought I'd paint once Rick got it on the wall. It all worked like a charm.
I put on my painting clothes and went to town. 2 coats.
While one coat dried I did some laundry before starting the 2nd coat.
I went into the living room, sat in Rick's ugly chair, and thought, boy, I could take a nap. Rick walked into the house at that time and said, "hey don't you have an MRI for your ankle today at 2:30?" Shit!
I hurried and cleaned myself up and headed to the radiology center.
As I walked in I notice how full the waiting room was. I was hoping that didn't mean a long wait. After checking in I sat at the chair right in front of the door because that was all that was left.
I noticed everyone's head was down looking at their phones.
I had mine but was determined not to sit on my phone so I kept mine in my purse. But boy I wish I had it in my hand when all this unfolded so I could have made a video of this crazy lady and posted it here.
A woman in her late 60s or early 70s walks in.
She is wearing a pair of clam diggers and a filthy shirt.
Her hair is matted and when she turned around I could see large bald spots. I thought oh my this poor woman must be very ill.
Ah, but she was fiesty.
The young woman behind the desk asked her if she had her mask with her, if not, they had a stack of them and pointed to them and told her she could put one of those on.
She said loudly for everyone to hear, "why would I wear one I didn't have to wear one on the plane.No one wears them anymore"
The nice young woman behind the plexiglass said that she understood but in a medical bldg this must be worn while she is here. She went on to say, you should have gotten a text and/or email telling you this had to be worn did you not? You just opened a door that told you it must be worn so this should not be a surprise.
She is also pointing to the sign on the plexiglass in front of said crazy woman.
Well, that did it - now crazy lady was off and running.
She was so loud, and so rude it made everyone in the room put down their phone to watch the show.
This woman was fighting mad and yelling about masks. She was loud, vulgar, and mean. If she was ill boy she had a lot of energy.
Then 2 men in scrubs from the back came up front.
They just stood there by the side of the front desk and said nothing for a bit while the nice woman who works there explained that if she didn't wear the mask they would ask have to ask her to leave and she'd had to reschedule.
Well, that didn't make the crazy lady happy.
She shouted, "You can't make me leave if my doctor wants this to be done. I have an appointment!"
The nice young woman with the patience of a saint told her that they would be happy to call her doctor to explain why this can't be done today.
The crazy woman shouted at her, "go ahead you do that because he will be so mad." (I'm thinking, yeah at you!)
"Of course, if you'd like to put this mask on we can have it done today."
Then the real vulgarity started so the 2 men who had come out front then escorted her to the door and made sure she left. All the while she was bitching and complaining and we could hear her in the hall.
I thought how smart of the woman behind the desk to offer to call her doctor. Then the doctor would know for certain that his crazy patient is the issue and not Wake Radiology.
Who needed a phone to be entertained when I had this show?
The guy next to me leaned over and said, "geez just wear the damn thing for an hour and then take it off when you leave, what the hell is the big deal?" I shrugged. Didn't want to get into that conversation!
I am claustrophobic so normally I have to be sedated for an MRI but because my head wasn't in the tube I was fine. They slapped on some headphones and asked what kind of music I liked.
The technician said, "it's Sirius so if you know the channel just tell me"
I thought the blankets were a bit much when I saw her grab them but once we walked into the room with the MRI machine it felt like a meat locker. Damn it was really cold. Now I like it cold but this was very cold!
They put my foot in a brace to keep it from moving and wrapped me up like a mummy. I promptly fell asleep. 35 minutes later I was done and sent home.
As they were taking me out of the tube the woman who was doing all this asked if I was upfront when all the commotion was going down.
I said I was.
"Was it really because of a mask, I miss out on everything back here?"
I told her it was indeed about wearing a mask. I told her to be thankful you're back here. She laughed and said most days I would agree with that.
I stopped at Jersey Mikes, it was right on the way home.
I pulled in last minute as I saw the sign and thought I will bring home dinner for Rick so I don't have to go home now and cook and neither does Rick.
I picked up Rick's favorite sandwich from there. I was winding down big time and I felt it. I knew he didn't want to cook either. I pulled into the garage and told Rick I brought home dinner. Yipee. He loves a Jersey Mike's Big Kahuna. I knew he'd be excited. Rick is easy.
I came inside, changed my clothes and sat on the sofa. I fell asleep sitting up. Yep, I think I did a bit too much for my first day. In fact last night I was a bit sore. I wondered why and Rick reminded me that bending over and all the stretching, everything I was doing regarding the painting is more than my body has done for a while. Now, how sad is that?
Painting and bending made me sore. God, I have a lot of work to do on myself.
I think Tuesday will be a bit slower and lazier for me. As Jean said, I need to pace myself. She was right! But boy it felt good to be tired because I was doing things instead of being ill.
11 comments:
That was a full day!
It is hard, but we really have to do as Jean said. Great that you are feeling so well!
That woman was nuts. She just had to wear it a awhile and then go home. It had to be a Trump follower.
When I went to have an MRI, they told me after they boxed me into the darn thing that there would be music during the thing. Music by ass, all I heard was bang, bang, bang and then finally it was done. I asked the girl, where was the music? She said to me, that she could hear the music. Oh my God and went home.
Hope you are doing better Peg.
Cruisin Paul
Was the crazy lady wearing a MAGA hat? Cheeze. Would have loved seeing her escorted out. Yep, Jean was right and so was Rick. I get sore these days easily. Just take those baby steps, not sure painting is a baby step:) However loved your last sentence and it is so right. Tired is great when you have earned it accomplishing stuff.
Olga, in my mind it wasn't but my body told me I was wrong. :-)
Cop, LOL, Jean will love that sentence!
Paul, that was my first thought too. I felt bad because you know how you can get cranky when you are ill. And boy she looked ill but no one deserves the stuff she was saying and doing. How in the world did they think you would hear music if you weren't given head phones? I had over the ear headphones and I could still hear the bang bang bang but it was not as loud as the music so I was good.
Patti, Shh, we don't ever like to tell Rick he was right. But Jean was! LOL And yes I over did it. Today I accomplished grocery shopping and I came home and told Rick that took all my stamina. It's okay it will all be here tomorrow, unfortunately.
It does feel good when the tiredness and soreness are from accomplishing something that needs to be done! I had to laugh when you said you feel asleep sitting up on the couch :-) Glad to hear you will pace yourself a little better after that experience.
The mask story brought back some memories for me when I was working. We did have people who would go off on a rant....one guy just kept calling it a "face diaper" over and over because maybe he thought we didn't hear it the first two times? Luckily it wasn't so crazy that we had to escort anyone out, although we did let them know that they need to either put it on or reschedule. Most put it on, but not properly...like only over the mouth and not the nose. There was one gal who I kept asking her to please pull the mask up over her nose, only to see it was down again after 5-10 min. I finally asked the hygienist to please take her back ASAP, because they didn't have to wear them in the operatory.
Most people have no common sense.
Yvonne, Rick told me 35 yrs ago that if sense were really common more people would have it!😁
You know I keep thinking about that woman. She looked so sick. I know when we're sick we can be cranky. But she went beyond cranky. Hope she's OK. And I hope she puts on her mask. According to my doctors at Duke there will never be a case to not wear them again in a medical bldg. We live in a new world!
When I had my CT scan done of my neck I had to take the mask off. But anymore, I wear a mask. Sometimes I'm the only one that has one on.
Mike, me too! I hope all went well with your CT scan.
I really don't understand these people making such a big deal about wearing a mask - particularly in medical facilities. Was it worth it to the crazy woman??
Pace yourself, the painting will still get done!
Me neither Abby. I was there for 45 minutes total with waiting and my MRI. So it wouldn't kill her to have just taken the free one and put it on and sit and do what had to be done.
Post a Comment