I just love this meme. I never understood why everyone gets their panties in a twist if I say Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas.
If I know you celebrate Christmas I say Merry Christmas.
But to strangers in a grocery store who I know nothing about I think it's nice and respectful to just say Happy Holidays.
I have a Jewish friend and I say Happy Hanukkah to her. I asked her once if she was offended if a store clerk said, "Merry Xmas" She laughed and said, "Oh hell no the majority are celebrating it and I understand but sometimes I wish they "got it".
I asked if saying Happy Holidays makes her feel better. She said yes and no.
She told me it was far worse when they had an office Xmas party and didn't invite her because she was Jewish. Can you believe that? It's an office holiday celebration - you aren't really celebrating God in any way by downing liquor and eating too much stale office party food. She was upset and I can certainly see why.
This to me was all kinds of wrong.
Not everyone celebrates Xmas. Do you know not everyone celebrates birthdays?
I remember finding that out as a kid and I was blown away. That family across the street didn't do Halloween either and as a kid, I always felt sorry for them. But it appears it did not bother them one bit because that was their religion. (Religion, the #1 cause of war)
I will admit I felt so sorry for these kids that as a kid I tried to give her some of my Halloween candy on the school bus. She reached for it and then pulled away and said she couldn't. I assumed as a child she thought she'd get in trouble but it was very confusing to me at the time in 2nd grade.
My favorite holiday is my birthday so if I had to grow up in that religion I am certain I would have rebelled. Then again I would never have known it was my favorite holiday if it was never celebrated.
I have never enjoyed Christmas or New Years Holidays. Sure as a kid I liked getting the gifts but by my teens I found the holiday stifling and filled with pressure just as I do now. It's funny how I remember my worst Christmas but not my favorite. Odd isn't it? Well ya'll know I'm odd
(my mom died just a few weeks before my worst Christmas)
In fact, Rick and I dislike NYEve so much we decided to get married on NYEve so we'd like it. And by God, it worked.
As a 20 something or even in my early 30s I was always invited to New Year's Eve parties. I dreaded them. I can sincerely tell you that there was never one that stood out as fun to me. It was always the same old. Oh, there were fancy ones, fancy ones held in an enormous ballroom, small intimate ones at a family or friends, or even the really small ones with just a couple of people in a bar environment. All of them are awful to us. Everyone getting stupid drunk and I don't find that fun apparently.
There is this expectation and it always falls short. As I got older I stopped going because I just didn't want to go. I found having some wine or champagne at home alone was better than these parties. Oh, how my girlfriends bugged me about this.
"You want to stay home alone?" "You don't want to get dressed up and party with us?" Yes, that is right, I'd rather stay home, not necessarily alone but I am alone so yes that is fine. I can have some champagne in my pj's and have more fun than a party. I'll rent a movie (remember renting movies?)
"You want to stay home alone?" "You don't want to get dressed up and party with us?" Yes, that is right, I'd rather stay home, not necessarily alone but I am alone so yes that is fine. I can have some champagne in my pj's and have more fun than a party. I'll rent a movie (remember renting movies?)
I got a lot of grief over the years and then peer pressured to go. And when I was younger I could be peer pressured into stupid parties but by the time I hit 30 I had had enough already! I'm an adult I can do what I want when I want to within the laws of the land. I am allowed to stay home if I wish.
Then I met Rick, he felt the same. NYE to him was just a letdown. The first one we watched a movie and had some champagne and in our pj's no less. I made dinner he was on dessert and he made homemade creme brulee ladies. And it was to die for.
We danced in the kitchen while cooking dinner. We had a nice evening.
It was one of the best NYE we had ever had. But each year the invites would come, the whining, "oh c'mon come with us, it'll be fun, don't be party poopers" Oh we heard it all. We even had people call us from a noisy bar or wherever to try to convince us to meet them. Nope.
After 4 years of friendship and 2 years of dating/living together we made it official. On Dec 31, 1993, we got married in a flower-filled gazebo overlooking the sun setting over Caribbean waters in Montego Bay Jamaica. It was fabulous.
Best NYE ever! We made it a day we will like now forever.
And you know what is best? When you get those pesky invites, all you have to say is, Oh it's our anniversary we've got plans.
EVERYONE backs off instantly. Not one whiner or begging fool. No questions asked, they just let it go. It's been great!
So look at us, we made it a day we like. We also made it a day we don't have to share with anyone else or be given grief if we want to be alone.
If I didn't know better I'd think those damn kids were pretty smart!

14 comments:
I've always enjoyed Christmas. When my mother died Nov. 7th, it was different that Christmas without mom but everyone, Christmas went on. My daughter ever had a chair and plate that year. My granddaughter still puts a spot for mom because they loved her so much.
As far as New Year Eve, it's nothing to me. We stay up to watch the ball drop, at 12 am we kiss and go to sleep. After that, the next day we take down all the decorations and that's that.
As far as saying Merry Christmas, well I just say Merry Christmas. I never liked saying Happy Holidays myself but whatever people say, I love what they say. So Peg & Rick
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year 2021
Health & wealth to you both
Cruisin Paul
Yeah, can't wait for the new year to begin. I'm hoping it will be better than what we had this past year. Don't know when we'll be bale to go out and go without masks, but eventually that will be true.
I like Christmas and New years for the most part I just don't like having to clean and go shopping haha. My two least favorite things. Yes I'm a weirdo and don't like shopping.
Paul, thank you Paul and the same to you and your family!!
2021 has to be better right?
Jamie - it may be another year until then but I'm hoping for a more positive 2021. :-)
Julie- well we all knew you were a weirdo. :-) Seriously I HATE to shop so we're both weirdos.
What a great idea to have an instant alibi like that, to get out of unwanted parties.
My parents got married on the 4th of July, but Dad always says it was so they'd always have the day off and there'd be fireworks.
Sure started off that way. Mom says on their wedding night, he was outside at their Poconos resort, throwing cherry bombs in the pool. Wouldn't have been MY first choice, but hey, it was the dawn of the 60s.
bluzdude as I was reading that your dad went outside on his honeymoon to throw cherry bombs I was thinking he should be inside doing something else. :-) The dawn of the '60s - now that is somethin' to think about.
I do like holidays but I do not make a big fuss about any of them. My impulse to decorate is minimal, my allegiance to traditions is weak, and I find chaining myself to all the hype and expectations is less disappointing (followed by depression). It took me a long time to realize I don't have to do any more or even any less than what gives me joy.
I say Merry Christmas. I don't say it often, though. We ordinarily don't even manage to stay up until midnight. Guess the new year isn't that big a deal in our lives.
Hope everyone's new year is a lot better than the old one.
Olga, I think you have it down. I'm getting there but still feel the pressure from all around me.
Ami, it can only go up...I hope. And who said I stay up until midnight? Silly woman, very seldom even when young!
"This to me was all kinds of wrong."
That's an understatement. What a bunch of scrooges.
I feel such a relief when Jan. 2 arrives. I loved Christmas as as a child, but haven’t for a long time now. People seem to turn a nice simple holiday into a party with just a lot of nonsense and drinking.
I’m not opposed to drinking, but prefer a nice glass of wine at home or back in the day when we could go out for dinner.
Of course being a widow with no children, I’m sure plays into this for me. Just give me a nice normal regular day anytime
Mike, agreed.
Mary, we've almost made it. Another week and Saturday the 2nd will be here😉
What a clever idea to marry on New Year's Eve! Changing the way you felt about it forever and providing an excuse not to join the group as a bonus!
I say it all ~ Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah. Sometimes I know and sometimes I don't, so in that instance, Happy Holidays are the safe bet. I think most people don't mind if you screw it up though :-)
Romeo and I have never been to a NYE party. It's just not our thing, never has been. When we were younger we would watch the party on tv, but now we just go to bed at our regular time....mostly because we'd both be asleep in front of the tv anyway!
Post a Comment